2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Next on the list is to fix the ac once and for all. It worked, but I had a leak. I found the source of the leak and ordered a new line.

Discovered ford just discontinued the line I needed, but Rockauto had them on “wholesaler clearance”. Timing couldn’t be better.

I’ll have to wait for warmer weather to charge. Not a stranger to ac work. Have all the tools as I put a brand new ac system on my fox, rebuilt the compressor myself and charged it with R12. Probably the coldest system of all the vehicles I own.

IMG_7575.jpeg

QuoteReply
Select for moderation•••
First Prev14 of 14

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Next on the list is to fix the ac once and for all. It worked, but I had a leak. I found the source of the leak and ordered a new line.

Discovered ford just discontinued the line I needed, but Rockauto had them on “wholesaler clearance”. Timing couldn’t be better.

I’ll have to wait for warmer weather to charge. Not a stranger to ac work. Have all the tools as I put a brand new ac system on my fox, rebuilt the compressor myself and charged it with R12. Probably the coldest system of all the vehicles I own.

View attachment 32147

QuoteReply
Select for moderation•••
First Prev14 of 14

I gotta replace mine as well Lmr has them also.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
This is also on my to-do list. Need to ditch the Dorman intake.

Unsure if I put the used one on and sit on the new one, or go new.

IMG_7357.jpeg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Those water channels swap over real easy, if you dont want to drill tap the hole. Simple unbolt, swap seals, keep up with the load limiter rings cause they like to fall out, not a difficult process.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Thanks. Haven't decided if i'll swap it out or drill/tap. I have access to a full machine shop at work so it's not a big deal, but at the same time swapping that over is a quick process. Just need to clean that crossover up.

That whole used PI intake is in really good shape as well. Scooped it up for $70 on ebay before folks started realizing the PI manifold was discontinued. I needed the hardware off it anyway as the Dorman kit does away with all those Ford OE fasteners so I would have needed to source it all to install the new intake.

I have eye out on Ebay for a used plenum/TB as well. Don't really need them as I am not looking for extra power with this car, but I figure if i stumble across a good deal might be worth it just to get.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I know ive pounded this info many times, but be sure to use felpro / ford manifold 4.6l specific gaskets. They are the correct thickness and are thicker than any other type or brand. Even the 5.4l ford specific gaskets are not as thick. I want you to be successful with your swap!

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Oh you do't have to tell me twice. First place i look is to FORD oe parts. That's why i preferred the Ford motorcraft AC line vs buying a cheaper aftermarket line.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Small stuff today.

Installed the LEDs in the HVaC. Just two 198 white LEDs.

This is the OE blue. On my list is to swap out the LEDs in the 01+ buttons since those are green. I have some spare buttons so I’ll dissect one to get the LED specs to buy some blue LEDs. Was able to match the radio buttons as well.

IMG_7602.jpeg

Since I had the bezel on, I mounted my phone mount. Wanted this handy as I take work calls and wanted it up so I can mute/unmute.

IMG_7599.jpeg

Debating my next project. AC, PI intake, or start paint correcting and mount my hood scoop.

Other minor things I want to get done before spring cruising:
-Change trans fluid
-Replace trans mount
-Change rear diff fluid

I may have to rebuild the traction-lok. I get the feeling this car does a 1-wheel peel. I might hold off on the doff fluid service until i get to that stage. I'll likely DIY, not intimidated by that work

Finally I need new tires. The tires on the current wheels are 8 year old summer performance tires. I want to put on an all-season. I like the polished wheels on my Foxbody, and they are an 9.5 out of 10 in terms of condition (i bought them as 500 mile take-offs back in 2004, put maybe 200 miles on them). I also REALLY like bullitt wheels on the 99-04 cars. My 2003 GT had them, and since i'm reconfiguring this car to 01-04 appearance inside and out, that's the wheel I want to run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Since I plan on driving this a lot, I wanted to address the spare tire situation after putting cobra brakes on.

So I picked up a pretty much unused 17” cobra spare. Hopefully I’ll never need to use it but at least now o don’t have to play musical wheels if I get a front flat.

IMG_7818.jpeg

However I just realized I don’t have a lug wrench. Need to measure my lugs and get one.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Since I plan on driving this a lot, I wanted to address the spare tire situation after putting cobra brakes on.

So I picked up a pretty much unused 17” cobra spare. Hopefully I’ll never need to use it but at least now o don’t have to play musical wheels if I get a front flat.

View attachment 32590

However I just realized I don’t have a lug wrench. Need to measure my lugs and get one.

I keep one of these in the trunk

Gorilla Automotive 1721 Telescoping Power Wrench - Standard Socket https://a.co/d/gGpTc10

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Warm enough to go around the block today. Almost 60.

More snow coming Tue so short lived. But wanted to drop the top to see the new coverings and my dye job with the top down.

Still need to get an alignment. Gave the car a quick wash so I can work on the paint correction next.

IMG_7846.jpegIMG_7844.jpegIMG_7841.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Finally got around to swapping to the silver Interior Upgrade Package center trim.

(Haven’t brought myself to peeling off the new carpet protective plastic in the drivers side)
IMG_7907.jpegIMG_7908.jpeg

Looking back to when I first got the car, we’ve come a long way.
IMG_7911.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Decided it was time to work on paint. I’m not expecting much, but this made my day. An hour or so of work with a buffer and waxing and end result of drivers fender.

Starting point.

IMG_8017.jpeg

And where I ended up.

IMG_8022.jpegIMG_8023.jpegIMG_8024.jpeg
IMG_8020.jpeg

There are deep scratches and such, so I’ll never get this paint perfect. But what a difference! Just this one fender alone gives me hope that this $1k beater will end up being a pretty darn nice car.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Did the drivers door as well. Huge difference in how this car looks now to me when I walk into the garage. I was envious of you guys with decent paint. Now, I might be ok. Not perfect but perfectly acceptable for a driver-grade car.
IMG_8029.jpegIMG_8033.jpeg

Prepping for the rear quarter. You can see how bad it is. The front fender and door were just as bad.

I may remove the scoop and lower rocker trim and do it off the car. Reason the scoop is kinda shiny is because I added it as my ‘00 had the smaller scoop and I wanted the 01+ scoop.

IMG_8032.jpegIMG_8031.jpeg

badass98svt

Reaction score
Post up what products and pads you used, and which order.
I've been scared to really try this.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Post up what products and pads you used, and which order.
I've been scared to really try this.

Clay bar first, then one pass with the correcting pad and then one pass with the finishing pad. Then two coats of wax.

About 1 hour a panel for me to do, so definitely going to break it up as I get free time.

IMG_8034.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online