How much grease to pump up?

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Just installed a new inner and outer tie rod on my driver's side. Motorcraft brand. And of course, I needed to grease it up. So I put a little in there, and I saw the rubber boot thing on the tie rod end start to move a little bit. I assumed that was the grease going in there. But how do you know how much to put in? How far do you go? The grease gun that I borrowed from my grandfather said something about the gun being able to generate 12,000 PSI when pumped. It occurs to me that 12,000 PSI is more than enough to blow that rubber boot right off of there, in the worst case scenario. Creating a big "leak", resulting in the tie rod end needing to be replaced again. So how do you know how many pumps, or how much to put in there? Do you just assume once the boot starts to move and swell and bulge, that there is enough? If so, how could you know when its time to "maintenance" the tie rod end and add more grease? Where the heck would the old grease have gone? It all seems kinda... sketchy.

gopher_6_9

Reaction score
Pump it till the boot is full. If you put to much it will began to leak around the top of the boot, it is not sealed there so it will not "Blow out".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online

No members online now.