any questions about air suspension..i can answer :)

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i was going to do a complete write up and installation guide for an air suspension, but there are too many variations and different types of setups to do a write up. i can however answer any questions any may have about air ride :)

heres some pros and cons for ya

pros:

easy suspension height adjustment
improves handling and ride quality for guys that like lowered suspensions
allows for an aggressive stance
can be installed by the average mechanically inclined weekend warrior
softens the blow to your tire and wheel (especially compared to lowering springs and coilovers)
can always be upgraded and improved depending on you suspension needs

cons:

does add a little weight (valve assembly, air tank, and compressor average about 20lbs.) air bags actually weigh less than the coils
can be high maintenance for the more complicated setups
valves can stick (rendering you car useless if not installed and maintained properly)
can be expensive (especially for those that pay for installation) average would be around $1,000 for a simple bolt on kit. price climbs for more complicated installations.

with these things in mind air ride is still the best quality ride i have ever used.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The man in the can^

Idky more people don't go this route..I don't have the desire to change ride height so maybe I'm not the only one..who knows

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
cause it cost a lot, plus they are'nt familiar with it. once ya ride on air though..ya hate all other suspensions, lolol.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
would you say it handles better than a proper coilover setup? Or does it ride/handle good for how low you can have it?

Mustanger

Reaction score
Yeah I want to know how it can handle aggressive driving in twisty corners/roads...how does it compare to a good road course setup? Would I lose time or gain/stay the same on a road course? Thanks man for the info.

LilRoush

Reaction score
From my understanding, properly set up bags can do very well in the handling department.
I think many stray away due to rules about what you can / can't change in competition setting on the road courses.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Air ride ftw. My dads 95 Lincoln Mark VIII has it from the factory. Best ride you'll ever get, so smooothh lol

Walking Tall

Reaction score
I think it's awesome. I do have one question. How long after you install air ride does is take to get someone your old springs? ;)

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
would you say it handles better than a proper coilover setup? Or does it ride/handle good for how low you can have it?
with a coil over setup...by the time you have collapsed the coil to sit at a level where you feel as though your riding on rails...the travel is shit and so stiff you cant bare it hardly, lol. on air bags you can almost deflate the bag completely and in most cases will sit you on the ground....and still have enough air in the bag to soften hard fast bumps. so it really is better as far as low stance and ride quality combined...nothing else on the market offers that imo.

Yeah I want to know how it can handle aggressive driving in twisty corners/roads...how does it compare to a good road course setup? Would I lose time or gain/stay the same on a road course? Thanks man for the info.
i never did any kind of road courses but imo it will do great in corner carving. being that you can adjust it low enough to rid ALOT of body roll, while still being able to maintain a comfortable ride quality. less body roll and faster turns would improve times i would think.

From my understanding, properly set up bags can do very well in the handling department.
I think many stray away due to rules about what you can / can't change in competition setting on the road courses.
you would want a setup that does'nt allow air transfer between bags. meaning when ya make a sharp right...2 way setups will allow the air in the bags on the left to transfer to the ones on the right. causing mad body roll, this is from experience, lol. i've had both 2 way and 4 way setups..4 way setups feel like you can take freeway exit ramps at 70 and not even feel like you're turning, lolol.

thanks for posting, tony!!
yessir :)

I think it's awesome. I do have one question. How long after you install air ride does is take to get someone your old springs? ;)
aaahahaha...legit question. man i really do need to head up there this week. i'll let ya know man...sorry casey :(

Walking Tall

Reaction score
aaahahaha...legit question. man i really do need to head up there this week. i'll let ya know man...sorry casey :(

triumph-the-insult-comic-dog-meme-generator-i-keed-i-keed-3bb98f.jpg

It's all good. My wheels aren't even in yet. Still rockin the 6er wheels so I'm too embarrassed to drive it.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
lol, you still have that stomach bug? hope ya feel better today :)

Mustanger

Reaction score
I been looking at an Air Ride system & it runs $2500-$3000 plus installation!! I liked the 4 way with about 3-4 presets , pretty sure I can install myself. This way I can drive with the stance I love & have set the alignment for....raise it up for obstacles & to get into my garage, slam it for car shows etc.

I had airshock suspension on my Honda 750 back in 1975 & loved it. Always worried about a failure & me sitting on a smoking rear tire at 80mph but in 10 years & nearly 100K miles nothing happened! It was very comfortable yet allowed me to touch the ground flatfooted...

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
What do you mean collapsed the coil? I have my car down about 3" and it rides pretty well.

i guarantee 1 thing ryan. your drop on coilovers at 3 full inches does not ride that well, lol. i lowered my gt 1.5" and it did'nt ride that well, lol. coil overs or just springs, they still have to be a stiff spring in order to hold up under the weight of these pretty heavy cars.

go from stock height and then lower your car on bags 3 full inches..get in and drive around. tell me how you like your coilovers then :)

not trying to debate coilovers however, just answer questions on how air ride operates

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
haha come on now, it actually does ride pretty well. I'm sure you know that because of where the spring is located on coilovers you can get away with a lot less spring rate and still maintain or even improve the handling of the car. It's quite possible my drop at 3" could ride better than a car dropped 1.5" with the conventional spring setup.

My H&R SS front springs were 700-760lb/in spring rate I believe and my coilover springs are only 250lb/in yet there is an increase in handling. Also there's other stuff that comes into play too, what struts you're running, tire and wheel size, etc.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why more competition people don't run the air ride set up. I mean I know they're costly but some people have deep pockets.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
good points [MENTION=8293]OnyxCobra[/MENTION]. coilovers are def an improvement over lowering springs by there self. just imo air is 1. more convenient 2. soft enough but not too soft. and also a whole other level in ride quality, lol.

[MENTION=8439]Whiplash[/MENTION] i cant remember kyles setup but most likely he has larger lines and valves. i'm 1/4" he may run 1/2". more airflow for faster lift and drop. i did'nt want to go that route in a muscle car, lol. was gonna do 1/2" with slowdowns that you can install to help you to not slam down quick, but this works out better just running 1/4" lines and valves :)

I'm curious as to why more competition people don't run the air ride set up. I mean I know they're costly but some people have deep pockets.
idk? [MENTION=14887]LilRoush[/MENTION] said that some pro competitions wont allow air ride?? idk though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online

No members online now.