1994 Cobra IRS conversion

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
New springs, eibachs, are on the way and possibly new wheels this week. Hopefully while I'm swapping springs I can adjust the tailpipes to look more even/level. I needed to get the car back on the road so the wife could have her suburban back and honestly I was tired of driving it to work.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Picked these up the other day. As soon as my stock wheels sell I can buy tires and put them on.
4f84be3e.jpg

purple96

Reaction score
looks good...i was dangerously close to doing this myself

gh0st

Reaction score
Awesome man, your car looks so sick all black from the back

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
What Brackets did you use to connect the IRS to your subframe? Because I will be under going this swap some time soon hopefully Ive got the IRS just need to figure out everything that I need.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
I was able to get the stock brackets from the 2001 Cobra the IRS came off of. They bolt up to where the quad shocks were and you will need to dill two holes per side for vertical bolts. I also installed a 1/8" thick steel plate approximately 5"x8" inside trunk to tie the stress of the bolts together and keep from pulling the trunk floor down. All in all the swap was fairly simple. I would suggest having a mechanically inclined friend help with the initial install. The ride and cornering enhancement was well worth it and it just looks wicked from the rear!

Here's a pic with the new wheels installed, I'll try to get a few more soon and post them up.
d56d5c9d.jpg

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
We definitely need more, and put some damn tire shine on them bitches lmao.

3Dglasses

Reaction score
Looks like the swap went well. I went for the whole FTBR delrin and aluminum bushing kit when I had mine out for rebuild. I am always amazed how F'n sideways I can get and just let off a bit and it snaps back wanting more. Cheers!

sn95ohh

Reaction score
Im picking up an IRS next weekend and was just curious about what you did with your brakes. Ive heard of people having to rebend some new lines in the rear and I didnt see any mention of that in this thread. Did you have to modify your break system?

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
You will have to bend two new brake lines from the "T" under the passenger side where the pan turns up for the rear end. I had to modify two 18" lines as one end is standard and the other is metric. There's not really a template or anything. I would buy three 18" 3/16 lines and once the rear is in place (to make sure there won't be any interference) just start trying to feed the line in and see where you need bends. You will need some type of bending tool and a flaring tool. You might also want to get some vacuum hose to put on the brake lines in areas where it is close to things to keep it from chafing.

sn95ohh

Reaction score
You will have to bend two new brake lines from the "T" under the passenger side where the pan turns up for the rear end. I had to modify two 18" lines as one end is standard and the other is metric. There's not really a template or anything. I would buy three 18" 3/16 lines and once the rear is in place (to make sure there won't be any interference) just start trying to feed the line in and see where you need bends. You will need some type of bending tool and a flaring tool. You might also want to get some vacuum hose to put on the brake lines in areas where it is close to things to keep it from chafing.

Awesome. Thanks. Do you have any pics of how you ran the brake line?? Is the brake stuff off a cobra way to different then my 94 GT to swap over? Im getting the IRS straight out of the car.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
I couldn't say on the GT brake differences since mine is a cobra. I swapped the complete rear end brakes and all. I didnt take any pics of the brake lines, I don't think you would be able to make them out with the rear in the car. The brake lines are 3/16" and I think the car side is metric and the IRS side is metric but I don't know the thread pitch. The passengers side is fairly easy since the "t" is on the drivers side and the line doesn't have to make as tight of a turn. The reason I said to get three lines is the first drivers side line might have to be done more than once to get it right. I'm not trying to scare you, if you get this far then you have plenty of mechanical aptitude to form the lines. I will say that the 3/16" lines are fairly forgiving and I was able to form them by hand with the exception of the real tight turns where a small hand bender can be used. I wouldn't flare and install one end until you have the lines formed, this will make it easier to get the bender on the line.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
I just remembered that when I began forming the lines I was able to make an approximate 45degree angle on the brake end a few inches from the brake and the thread into the brake. By doing this you can make sure that one end is fixed and where it's supposed to be. The main thing to keep in mind is don't let the brake line run anywhere where it might get pinched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online