95 5.0 timing cover...questions/opinions

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Spent a few hours today tearing the water pump and timing cover off. Couple of questions...

1995 GT 5.0. 69,000 miles. Had a very small AF leak and pretty sure it was the timing cover. Aluminum looks like new but I do see what looks like a few stress cracks near a couple of the bolts but either way I have a new cover from LMR and bought a new water pump too. Also have a new t-stat and new bolt kit from LMR for the water pump and timing cover.

When I took the old cover off one of the dowel pins stayed in the old cover. Do you guys typically re-use those or replace them? Second question/opinion, hoses all look almost new but was considering replacing all of them while it's apart. LMR has a hose kit for about $130. Think it's wise to change them now? I'm gonna replace the belt for sure. It looks good but I did get anti-freeze and PB Blaster on it so just gonna replace it while it's apart.

BTW-timing chain is still snug and after a quick look balancer looks good too.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
After a second look at the balancer I think I'm gonna replace it too while it's off. But I see 28oz and 50oz? Which one? Google says 50oz was factory?

weendoggy

Reaction score
You can re-use the dowel. Either remove it and put it in the block or cover is fine. If you get it out, put it in the block. Be sure to put some silicone accross the timing cover/block/pan gasket areas when going back together. Good call on new hoses, etc. Save yourself a headache. I believe the 50oz is correct. My old block was set that way.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah already have black RTV. Have the timing cover, new water pump too. Gonna order new hoses and balancer so probably won't get it back together till next weekend

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely new dowels and may as well do the hoses while it’s all accessible.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Well I ordered the hose kit from American Muscle and FedEx f'd that up as usual. Last update on tracking was last Thursday the 15th it said it left Grove City, Ohio to be delivered that day. Still nothing. This is the 3rd or 4th time FedEx has done this at Grove City, Ohio but in the past I got my package 3 or 4 days after that update. AM contacted me a few days ago asking if I had got it and I told them no so they are supposed to be filing for a lost package and re-shipping another set but that was 3 days ago and I have not heard anything back. No tracking number or anything. I think in the future if I order anything from AM again I'll request it be shipped by some other company and if they can't then I'll buy from somewhere else. Can't fault AM for this other than the shipper they choose but the car is sold and I'm still waiting on parts for 2 weeks now.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well I ordered the hose kit from American Muscle and FedEx f'd that up as usual. Last update on tracking was last Thursday the 15th it said it left Grove City, Ohio to be delivered that day. Still nothing. This is the 3rd or 4th time FedEx has done this at Grove City, Ohio but in the past I got my package 3 or 4 days after that update. AM contacted me a few days ago asking if I had got it and I told them no so they are supposed to be filing for a lost package and re-shipping another set but that was 3 days ago and I have not heard anything back. No tracking number or anything. I think in the future if I order anything from AM again I'll request it be shipped by some other company and if they can't then I'll buy from somewhere else. Can't fault AM for this other than the shipper they choose but the car is sold and I'm still waiting on parts for 2 weeks now.
Certain stuff like that oreileys and auto zone have in stock

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good call. Sometimes saving a few bucks online isn’t worth the hassle and the need to have it “right now”

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
i was gonna go that route but wasn't sure what all hoses i needed or what they were called and AM had a kit with the 4 i needed so thought that was a better idea...lol

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i was gonna go that route but wasn't sure what all hoses i needed or what they were called and AM had a kit with the 4 i needed so thought that was a better idea...lol
FWIW, I tried AM. Poor customer service & very long time to get my order. I switched 100% to LMR and haven’t had a single issue or complaint in 3+ years. Just sayin’

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
FWIW, I tried AM. Poor customer service & very long time to get my order. I switched 100% to LMR and haven’t had a single issue or complaint in 3+ years. Just sayin’
Same results for me but I’m in Canada

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
well FedEx tracking said the 2nd package was supposed to arrive today so I didn't go buy them locally. Now today tracking says delayed. I asked American Muscle if they use anyone other than FedEx so waiting on a response but I ordered the first time on 2/12 and it got lost apparently. They shipped another and now it says delayed. I'm done ordering from anyone that uses FedEx unless I'm ok waiting a month for it

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Finally got the hoses today. Ordered them on the 12th then apparently someone at FedEx decided they needed them worse than me so AM sent a 2nd set on the 21st. Got those today

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.