A little E85??

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I try not to let anything sit for long periods of time and I’ve been okay . I love e85 for my red car .

I cleaned the carb on my mower as it had gotten a bit eeehhhh towards the end of the season last year back early this year, and it sat for about a month before I fired it back up again and I had to pull the carb right back off again - just full of green gum. I've never had it go to shit so fast before. I've got about 10-15 gallons of gas that's sat long enough that I think it's going to hang out to get some fires going and that'll be that.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It has no negative effect on small engines, since it's the most common fuel their customers can buy any power equipment manufacturer would be crazy to build their product to not use the fuel that's available.

If you live in a humid environment and let ethanol sit in one place (like the bowl of a carburetor) for a long time it will form a chemical battery between dissimilar metals it is in contact with (zinc plated steel carb bowl + cast aluminum carb body + high carbon steel float spring.. etc) and cause them to corrode. This doesn't happen to any meaningful degree on engines of any size that are run regularly. Drain your lawn mower before winter.

The boat thing... I swear that's like the engines need backpressure story that just floats around forever. On boats which have a fuel water separator (mostly this would be boats that live on the water, not so much boats you tow home behind a Jeep Cherokee) the separator relies on fuel and water not wanting to mix and if your fuel has alcohol in it then the separator can't work and I understand some separators can be damaged this way. Once your alcohol is fully saturated.. like for example a gallon of water gets into your 20 gallon tank then the motor is gonna run really poorly until you can get some dry gas in it to dilute that out.

I'm an engineer professionally and a wrench turner recreationally. I don't know what you mean by "a climate change guy".
If you don't think ethanol fuel is shit for boats and small engines then you are definitely a true engineer.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
shovel was fairly on point . Small engines can have troubles after being stored with winter with too much ethanol in the fuel .

Some 27lb injectors in a stock untuned mustang will run fine on e85 the computer will compensate on its own it’s been proven.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
I did this on my 87 mustang so it is comparable to your 94-95 model.
As far as history, I've been running E85 in all my vehicles for years with zero issues. As a rule of thumb I keep the tanks full and run a engine breather kit to separate moisture from the crankcase.
I've been driving my 87 for months now since the E85 swap and it is doing fantastic.
I dyno'd it and found the sweet spot for my timing.
As a future test, I have a set of Terminator 39# injectors I may swap into it and see how it responds..... again without a separate tune.
It's mostly for my enjoyment and testing the theory.

Ryan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online