Annoying vibration

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
95 GT automatic, getting a weird vibration that feels and sounds like it's in the transmission area, hard to say for sure though. It usually only appears after shifting into reverse or drive, but sometimes it'll show up in park or neutral too. It's a relatively fast vibration, mostly audible but I can just barely feel it. Reasonably loud inside the car, loud enough to hear it clearly anyways, but I can't hear it outside the car. Makes me think it's a small vibration of something being amplified by the body maybe. The most common place I hear it is at a red light, but by the time I get to 15~20 mph it's gone. Doesn't happen at every stop. Revving and acceleration do usually seem to make the rattle a bit louder and faster.

My only few thoughts are torque converter, transmission or maybe (hopefully) exhaust pipe rattling against the frame. I did think u-joint at one point, but then I heard it keep vibrating in park. I have no idea what any of these things exactly sounds like. Also sorry for the long description, was hoping to cover every question I could right away. I will be stuffing something between the pipe and the frame anywhere it nearly touches as soon as I find something softish that won't be bothered by the temps, will update if that helps.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Could just be the front crank damper is all worn out. They deteriorate over time, internally.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
Harmonic dampener? How hard are those to replace? Even if that's not the issue, I've been meaning to get a new one with some trustworthy timing markings.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Not hard. But you need to rent a pulley removal tool and you'll also need a longer version of the stock bolt for install, and a brand new bolt for final assembly. Clean things up real well while it's disassembled, put a little RTV paste on the back part of the crank keyway, and run it down to factory torque spec.

Wmac

Reaction score
Could be a loose "cat" shield. Try tapping on them with the handle of a long screwdriver or hammer handle.
Welds break and they vibrate at low rpm.

shovel

Reaction score
Get under there and see if the exhaust is contacting anything. it gets real close to the chassis a few places (especially if aftermarket) and if your motor mounts are smashed that moves everything

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Bad trans mount? Bad output bushing? Bade universal in the yoke? Really need to get under there and poke around

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online