Any Audi owners here? Specifically S6/S7

joemomma

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Audi? The S6/S7 has kind of caught my eye of late. Toying with the idea of selling the '94 to get in to a used S6 (new is obviously out of reach). I'm thinking somewhere in the '13-'16 model years, they seem to be decently priced as long as you aren't afraid of typical used car mileage (75-130k seems normal). These have the TT 4.0 V8, something like 450HP with AWD....impressive performance numbers out of the box (low 4s to 60, low to mid 12s in the 1/4) and have really nice features for a 10ish year old car. There are also numerous tuning options to get the performance up, if you wanted.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Audi Q7 (SUV). 3.0 Supercharged all-wheel drive. Awesome family hauler with decent power. Basically my wife's ride and dog hauler, 110 pound Cane Corso. Check out this forum if you haven't already, lots of info and tips.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
If you're out of warranty and you get German car problems.... God help ya.

I had enough of my BM Trouble You some years ago. Don't get me wrong, they're great cars when they function as they do when brand new. I would always consider renting them or leasing them, just can't own another ever again.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Oh yeah, you really need to find an independent shop that you trust. Dealers really are expensive for repairs. I suggest a PPI too, (Pre purchase Inspection), really helps when negotiating purchase. Plus, they require Vagcom, Audis own diagnostic tools.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
There's a shop just up the road from me that specializes in European stuff. In fact, they had a S6 for sale sitting out front a few months ago. That's kind of what caught my attention and I just happened to see another one on the road the other day.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Not a lot of kind words spoken about them over on S197. Kind of have me gun shy.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
I really don't know a lot about them. I prefer the S-4 platform, been looking for one for a while, they just look nicer to me. Smaller, lighter and quicker. My 2013 SHO is above 200k miles, so it's almost time for a major service. In the end it's always a crap shoot with a used vehicle, so your choice.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah I think as long as it has been maintained it's probably going to be fine. Like you say, it's always a crap shoot with a used vehicle. I would want to be diligent in searching and find one with good records.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
The flip side to this coin is that I can get in a pretty nice newer (13+) Mustang for the same money....

EDIT: to add - nothing happening until next year at the earliest.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You're always going to get some biased answers asking in a place like this because we generally all like our old dinosaur cars in comparison. I generally like Audi's, but I feel like a BMW is a better driver car and a Merc is a better cruiser and Audi is somewhere in the middle in the German spectrum.

Audi's are like any other VAG car - they're going to be very different to work on which usually means you're going to need a handful of new tools you'll only ever use on it. German cars have got to be maintained, but if you find a car with good records, you'll be pretty golden generally. Some folks hate working on German stuff, but you have to approach it with an open mind. If you go in, expecting it to come apart like a Ford or Chevrolet, you're going to have a bad time. Parts are going to be more expensive and the car will likely be a bit pickier on what parts it likes and what it doesn't - sticking with OE is always a good call.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Very good points all around. There is a shop two miles up the road from me that specialize in European stuff, and they are highly-regarded in the area. I'm going to keep an open mind and if something that looks good (with good records) comes around I'm not going to rule it out.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
I really enjoy driving my Q7. Very capable all-wheel drive with decent acceleration. Almost sits as high as my 97 ZJ lol.

b1pig

Reaction score
If you're out of warranty and you get German car problems.... God help ya.

I had enough of my BM Trouble You some years ago. Don't get me wrong, they're great cars when they function as they do when brand new. I would always consider renting them or leasing them, just can't own another ever again.

I'd say yes and no to that. My wife has her second Audi. First was a 2014 A4. Currently in a 2016 Q3. Both bought used with no warranties. Both high mileage. Never really had a problem with either of them. The A4 was just too low of a car for her to get in and out of multiple times a day, so she bought a Q3. Taller seat, so easier to enter/exit. Both are 2.0T engines. The A4 was FWD with the CVT.... and despite my distrust of CVTs in general, that car did very well for us. With the Q3, I can always smell a slight hint of coolant when she parks in the garage, but beyond that the car has yet to actually leak a drop. I've found zero seepage and no coolant loss in the tank.

I can't speak to specific knowledge on the S6 or S7 models, but there are a number of sources out there you can follow. Obviously lots of youtube content is out there. I'd also spend some time on FCP Euro's youtube channel. Not just Audi, but other brands they carry parts for, they have videos on basic service, parts replacements and things you should watch as an owner. I can't recommend them enough for learning.

Audis are just "higher class" Volkswagens on many levels. But I've been very pleased with our ownership experiences of both Audis.

Although my attention is now directed at a Lexus LS430 that my wife acquired from her parents' estate.... I spend very little time in her Audi now. Given the option, I'd love to have a RS6 Avant. Happy trails on your journey. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online