Best Wheel hub Assembly & Steering knuckle?

Jman2025

Reaction score
Looking to replace my front wheel hub assemblies and steering knuckles for my 03' V6, but I'm seeing a lot of options for different brands and stuff on RockAuto. I was hoping to get ones that came with all of it as a pre-built set. Are there any recommendations for what I'm looking for?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
For stock replacement? I to am one of simplicity and would desire a complete assembled unit to swap in. Most guys here go aftermarket performance but thats not to say someone doesnt have experience with this. They will chime in soon

OP
OP
Jman2025

Jman2025

Reaction score
For stock replacement? I to am one of simplicity and would desire a complete assembled unit to swap in. Most guys here go aftermarket performance but thats not to say someone doesnt have experience with this. They will chime in soon
Stock replacement for now. But I also don't have enough knowledge on what aftermarket upgrades for the hub and knuckles would look like. I'm just looking to replace my old rusty parts with new.

Finn

Reaction score
Facing same task ie. planning to change front hubs.

How are the Timkens these days?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
The knuckles/hubs sold on Rockauto are REAR knuckles for Cobra IRS equipped cars. They won't apply to your V6

The front steering knuckles (spindles) aren't sold as a replacement. Generally these are not replaced unless physically damaged. They are only available used. It's a bit of a PITA to dig them out of the suspension for some paint, so generally not done unless you have another reason to take apart the front suspension. The used spindles can be a little pricey because Foxbody guys scoop them up to put SN95 brakes on those cars.

On Rockauto, the Motorcraft hubs (P/N HUB10) are $70 each. I put a set of SKF (P/N BR930250) on my Foxbody (with SN95 spindles) that typically run about $40-50. The nuts are one-time use only according to Ford, and the original caged nut design has been superceeded. Dorman makes a cheap replacement nut, but I would go for the Motorcraft nut (P/N W710084-S439) in this case.

Generally it's a pretty easy job if you have the correct tools. These nuts are on there pretty tight. The OE caged nuts use a 36mm socket to come off. Have a breaker bar and cheater price, but my electric impact was able to zip it off fairly easily.

The hubs just slide off at that point by hand.

Installation is easy. Slide on new one, torque the nut to 220-295 ft-lbs. Reinstall end cap.

IMG_7604.jpegIMG_7605.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jman2025

Jman2025

Reaction score
Are all
The knuckles/hubs sold on Rockauto are REAR knuckles for Cobra IRS equipped cars. They won't apply to your V6

The front steering knuckles (spindles) aren't sold as a replacement. Generally these are not replaced unless physically damaged. They are only available used. It's a bit of a PITA to dig them out of the suspension for some paint, so generally not done unless you have another reason to take apart the front suspension. The used spindles can be a little pricey because Foxbody guys scoop them up to put SN95 brakes on those cars.

On Rockauto, the Motorcraft hubs (P/N HUB10) are $70 each. I put a set of SKF (P/N BR930250) on my Foxbody (with SN95 spindles) that typically run about $40-50. The nuts are one-time use only according to Ford, and the original caged nut design has been superceeded. Dorman makes a cheap replacement nut, but I would go for the Motorcraft nut (P/N W710084-S439) in this case.

Generally it's a pretty easy job if you have the correct tools. These nuts are on there pretty tight. The OE caged nuts use a 36mm socket to come off. Have a breaker bar and cheater price, but my electric impact was able to zip it off fairly easily.

The hubs just slide off at that point by hand.

Installation is easy. Slide on new one, torque the nut to 220-295 ft-lbs. Reinstall end cap.

View attachment 32357View attachment 32356
Are all 99-04 spindles the same? I figured I might have to get a pair of used ones. Thanks for the info.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Yes. Technically 96-04 are the same but there was a slight revision in 1999 to allow for a little extra clearance for the dual piston calipers. Not anything 2 mins with a grinder won’t solve.

Avoid 94-95 spindles. They sell for $400-600/set anyway. 96+ units are cheaper

Finn

Reaction score
Facing same task ie. planning to change front hubs.

How are the Timkens these days?
FWIW, at least Mevotech, Moog and Timken all have same part numbers. And Timkens are Koyo - which is OK for me.

DvgIxzW.jpg

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I believe Koyo manufacturers the original hubs as well. I'm 99% sure if i flip over that hub in the above pic, i will say Koyo. I can check later i have a box full of OE hubs

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Actually, the Motorcraft HUB10's are Koyos. I'm 99.9% sure now that's the OE supplier.

1706808788373.png

Given that the TIMKEN 513115 is $50 and using Koyo bearings, that's probably the one I'd go with.

Here's a 5% discount code too for your troubles. 257322452229880220

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online