Coolant questions…

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
With a stock radiator, what coolant is best to keep it running as cool as possible? I’m running a Mishimoto 180 thermostat and Mishimoto upper and lower hoses.

And yes…I realize the T-stat will regulate the temperature at/around 180, but I’m wondering if there’s a specific brand or mix of coolant that helps?

And lastly… a Question for anyone running the Mishimoto radiator: are you also using their brand of coolant or something else? Have you tried using both theirs and another? And can you tell the difference? Anything noticeable?

Thanks everyone!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I've used standard Prestone off the shelf 50/50 with a single bottle of water wetter for many years and never a problem, both with a 4v 4.6L and the current 4v 5.0L. Of course, if you're in the hardcore track crowd you'll run straight water with water wetter. You'd just be sure to use pure, distilled water because any electrolytes will eventually cause corrosion. But any modern coolant will have the corrosion and electrolysis inhibitors already in there.

My advice: if it's just a performance street car even with the occasional track duty, best to stick to a greater than 200* thermostat. A hotter an engine can run the more power it will make. If the fan(s) are working properly, car should never overheat. At 16psi which is most radiator caps on a boilover reservoir, you can safely set a target of 220*F (low speed fan should kick on at around 210*F).

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I have always thought a cooler engine runs stronger. Maybe I got bad info? Or maybe the 180 degree T-stat applies to a previous car? IDK…

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
If you have an extreme setup pushing big boy power, it makes sense to let the thermostat open early because in that situation the motor can easily get into a runaway condition when the situation is hard on the gas for extended periods like endurance racing on a tight and technical track with not a lot of straightaways where the air can do the job of cooling down the radiator.

Engines in general are at peak efficiency (and thus power) when all fluids are circulating at operating temp. The hotter you can get them (up to a limit) and maintain them at that temp, the looser things are. Taking it to the other extreme, if you had the fluids (especially the oil) at a 50 weight they would circulate slower and cause drag on the entire moving assembly. Conversely, the thinnest oil possible is going to free up horsepower because the engine is not bogged down by its own juice. Less resistance to overcome, kind of like a smaller diameter race clutch, or lightened right & pinion gears. Less rotating mass, like light weight wheels.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
With a stock radiator, what coolant is best to keep it running as cool as possible? I’m running a Mishimoto 180 thermostat and Mishimoto upper and lower hoses.
A cooler intake charge is desirable, hence the reason for icing down an intake, installing an intercooler when supercharged/turbocharged, or chemical intercooling (Water/Methanol Injection). My advice for you is to use the stk. thermostat (192 to 195 degrees F).

And yes…I realize the T-stat will regulate the temperature at/around 180, but I’m wondering if there’s a specific brand or mix of coolant that helps?
IMPORTANT: The minimum temperature your vehicle will run is set by your thermostat. The maximum temperature your vehicle will run is determined by your fan. Don't overthink the small stuff (brands of antifreeze); the horsepower gains are negligible. And just run the recommended antifreeze mix.

And lastly… a Question for anyone running the Mishimoto radiator: are you also using their brand of coolant or something else? Have you tried using both theirs and another? And can you tell the difference? Anything noticeable?
I used to run Mishimoto radiators but not anymore. Again, just use an antifreeze you can get at your local parts store. There are no gains to be made here unless you have an airflow or inadequate coolant flow problem.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
A cooler intake charge is desirable, hence the reason for icing down an intake, installing an intercooler when supercharged/turbocharged, or chemical intercooling (Water/Methanol Injection). My advice for you is to use the stk. thermostat (192 to 195 degrees F).

IMPORTANT: The minimum temperature your vehicle will run is set by your thermostat. The maximum temperature your vehicle will run is determined by your fan. Don't overthink the small stuff (brands of antifreeze); the horsepower gains are negligible. And just run the recommended antifreeze mix.

I used to run Mishimoto radiators but not anymore. Again, just use an antifreeze you can get at your local parts store. There are no gains to be made here unless you have an airflow or inadequate coolant flow problem.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer
I always appreciate the input you add to the forum. May I ask what brand radiators you run these days?

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I always appreciate the input you add to the forum. May I ask what brand radiators you run these days?
Thanks for the kind words. As you are aware, I don't post here that much, but your contribution is well-known, so keep up the good work.

Before I go into detail about what radiator I have, I will say that Mishimoto radiators are decent radiators for the masses. So don't let my experience deter you. I broke 3 Mishimoto radiators and got tired of installing 3 radiators in 16 months. I know, they were free of charge, but I don't care about that.

I use and recommend Ron Davis radiators. Here's what Ron Davis has to say about themselves: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Welcome.htm

Ron Davis radiators are highly regarded for the following reasons.

1. Performance: Ron Davis radiators are designed to provide superior cooling performance compared to stock radiators and many of their aftermarket competitors. They are built with high-quality materials and advanced engineering techniques to maximize heat dissipation and airflow. This makes them ideal for high-performance and modified vehicles that generate more heat than the stock cooling system can handle.

2. Customization: Ron Davis radiators offer a high level of customization. They are available in various sizes, configurations, and core thicknesses to fit a wide range of vehicle applications. This was a huge plus; I wanted a radiator to be constructed for my setup.

3. Durability: Ron Davis radiators are built to withstand the demands of high-performance driving. This ensures the radiator can handle the stresses of track days, off-roading, or aggressive driving without compromising performance or longevity.

4. Quality Craftsmanship: Ron Davis radiators are manufactured with meticulous attention to detail. They undergo rigorous quality control processes to ensure that each radiator meets strict standards before it is shipped to customers. This commitment to quality craftsmanship instills confidence in automotive enthusiasts, knowing they are investing in a reliable and well-built product.

5. Cooling Innovations: Ron Davis Radiators are known for incorporating innovative features and technologies into their designs. For example, they may utilize efficient tube and fin designs, high-flow water tanks, and advanced fan shroud configurations to optimize cooling efficiency. These innovations can result in lower coolant temperatures and improved overall cooling performance.

6. Track Record: Ron Davis has a long history in the radiator industry, and their products have been used and trusted by many professional racing teams and automotive enthusiasts over the years. This track record of success and positive feedback from customers further enhances their reputation as a quality radiator manufacturer. Plus, they were recommended to me by Ford Engineer Sam Guido.

Now the hard part is my radiator and custom fan shroud are not for bargain shoppers as it cost me approx. $1500.

I hope that helps
Michael Plummer

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. As you are aware, I don't post here that much, but your contribution is well-known, so keep up the good work.

Before I go into detail about what radiator I have, I will say that Mishimoto radiators are decent radiators for the masses. So don't let my experience deter you. I broke 3 Mishimoto radiators and got tired of installing 3 radiators in 16 months. I know, they were free of charge, but I don't care about that.

I use and recommend Ron Davis radiators. Here's what Ron Davis has to say about themselves: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Welcome.htm

Ron Davis radiators are highly regarded for the following reasons.

1. Performance: Ron Davis radiators are designed to provide superior cooling performance compared to stock radiators and many of their aftermarket competitors. They are built with high-quality materials and advanced engineering techniques to maximize heat dissipation and airflow. This makes them ideal for high-performance and modified vehicles that generate more heat than the stock cooling system can handle.

2. Customization: Ron Davis radiators offer a high level of customization. They are available in various sizes, configurations, and core thicknesses to fit a wide range of vehicle applications. This was a huge plus; I wanted a radiator to be constructed for my setup.

3. Durability: Ron Davis radiators are built to withstand the demands of high-performance driving. This ensures the radiator can handle the stresses of track days, off-roading, or aggressive driving without compromising performance or longevity.

4. Quality Craftsmanship: Ron Davis radiators are manufactured with meticulous attention to detail. They undergo rigorous quality control processes to ensure that each radiator meets strict standards before it is shipped to customers. This commitment to quality craftsmanship instills confidence in automotive enthusiasts, knowing they are investing in a reliable and well-built product.

5. Cooling Innovations: Ron Davis Radiators are known for incorporating innovative features and technologies into their designs. For example, they may utilize efficient tube and fin designs, high-flow water tanks, and advanced fan shroud configurations to optimize cooling efficiency. These innovations can result in lower coolant temperatures and improved overall cooling performance.

6. Track Record: Ron Davis has a long history in the radiator industry, and their products have been used and trusted by many professional racing teams and automotive enthusiasts over the years. This track record of success and positive feedback from customers further enhances their reputation as a quality radiator manufacturer. Plus, they were recommended to me by Ford Engineer Sam Guido.

Now the hard part is my radiator and custom fan shroud, and a fan (Mark VII) is not for bargain shoppers as it cost me approx. $1500.

I hope that helps
Michael Plummer
I don’t think $1500 is a bad price for good quality at all. I’ve got a Delta PAG brushless fan and mishimoto radiator. That whole setup is right around $1000. I have also broken a mishimoto but it was their old design without floating mounts and it had three rows. I had to swap my second mishimoto radiator because it had somehow gotten plugged up in some spots.

I do not have any problems with my setup, per se, but I may start looking in to the Ron Davis a little more. I’ve heard that name for a long time, but never thought twice about looking in to them.

Thank you, very much, for the detailed post.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I forgot to mention...

I've seen gunking and even full stoppage in some cars when they mix different types of coolant, so beware. A tiny little amount leftover from a drain of old coolant and a fill of a new, different formulation probably won't hurt anything. Like the little bit that's just pooling near the bottom of the rad where the lower hose is. But there's different formulations out there so don't fill the car like half green and half orange or something like that.

95opal

Reaction score
I dont run coolant. Distilled water and water wetter is all i use. I dont drive in winter and rad and block is drained before Shes laid up for the winter. I sont see any benefit from one brand of coolant to the next.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to mention...

I've seen gunking and even full stoppage in some cars when they mix different types of coolant, so beware. A tiny little amount leftover from a drain of old coolant and a fill of a new, different formulation probably won't hurt anything. Like the little bit that's just pooling near the bottom of the rad where the lower hose is. But there's different formulations out there so don't fill the car like half green and half orange or something like that.
That much I know better NOT to do!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are some colors you can mix and some you cannot it might say on the bottle if it is safe to add to others or not. Normally when I am adding a little I just use DI water.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
there are some colors you can mix and some you cannot it might say on the bottle if it is safe to add to others or not. Normally when I am adding a little I just use DI water.
I always add the same that’s in there, unless I’m doing a full flush and changing brands, etc. But that’s just me and my OC. I also always keep backups of all fluids on hand for consistency.

gopanoz

Reaction score
The best coolant is 100% distilled water with a water wetter product. Do you have to worry about your car freezing? If yes, then add a couple quarts of anti-freeze.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The best coolant is 100% distilled water with a water wetter product. Do you have to worry about your car freezing? If yes, then add a couple quarts of anti-freeze.
we had one member here in the south last year that lost his block to freezing. I can't say that there is any reason not to have the proper mix of water/anti as you never know when you will have that one strange night when the temp dips and that is all it takes.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Slim to no chance of car freezing. I live in SoCal only 7 miles from Ventura Coast. So, we get the ocean air keeping it temperate.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Remember, antifreeze does not just lower the freezing temperature of the coolant - it also raises the boiling temperature to 223F.

Pallgor

Reaction score

Thanks everyone!
I just installed a mishimoto a week ago and I’m using prestone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online