Drifting 01 Cobra

steves_stang

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2001 Cobra with intake and exhaust I bought for cheap. I’m going to start drifting it. Been reading a lot on drifting mustangs but most threads are on gt drifting with a live axle.

Questions.
1. What rim and tire size is best to use? Price and availability of tire size is important.

2. What suspension mods since it’s IRS?

I’m going to start drifting with it’s stock and slowly make suspension mods like coilovers and thick rear sway bar.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
A smaller than normal wheel/tire package will make it easier to keep the hide fire lit.

You'll need:
Complete bushing package from Full Tilt Boogie Racing with cross axis joints.
Diff cooler (I would look at Kenny Brown or Maximum Motorsports)
Rear end you'll want a coil over conversion and here you have a choice to make, Kenny Brown full 9 yards IRS ($$$$$) or Maximum Motorsports just coil over conversion and tie rods ($$$).
Looking at at least 4.30 rear gears and you'll probably want to go to a sequential transmission and carefully chosen gear ratios.
If you want to drift well or competitively you're going to have to deal with the front end even more than the rear, you will need to substantially modify the front end so you can turn about 20 degrees more wheel angle.
You'll very likely have some induced bump steer and rear steer problems that you will need to fight through.

Drifting an 99-04 IRS Cobra is a ludicrously bad idea unless you start with the full house treatment done to it. The 99-04 IRS was an afterthought, shoe horned into a car that wasn't designed with it in mind. There's a lot about it that's not super wonderful. If you go in with stock bushings, stock cross axis joints and the factory damper and spring setup you will absolutely tear it up, probably you'll rip the front ears of the diff center section and then you'll break the rear cover and then you'll get to spend another thousand bucks repairing the damage. Give the IRS to someone that needs it for grip instead of slip and stick a live axle in it with a Maximum Motorsports or Griggs torque arm and panhard bar 3-link setup in the back.

OP
OP
S

steves_stang

Reaction score
A smaller than normal wheel/tire package will make it easier to keep the hide fire lit.

You'll need:
Complete bushing package from Full Tilt Boogie Racing with cross axis joints.
Diff cooler (I would look at Kenny Brown or Maximum Motorsports)
Rear end you'll want a coil over conversion and here you have a choice to make, Kenny Brown full 9 yards IRS ($$$$$) or Maximum Motorsports just coil over conversion and tie rods ($$$).
Looking at at least 4.30 rear gears and you'll probably want to go to a sequential transmission and carefully chosen gear ratios.
If you want to drift well or competitively you're going to have to deal with the front end even more than the rear, you will need to substantially modify the front end so you can turn about 20 degrees more wheel angle.
You'll very likely have some induced bump steer and rear steer problems that you will need to fight through.

Drifting an 99-04 IRS Cobra is a ludicrously bad idea unless you start with the full house treatment done to it. The 99-04 IRS was an afterthought, shoe horned into a car that wasn't designed with it in mind. There's a lot about it that's not super wonderful. If you go in with stock bushings, stock cross axis joints and the factory damper and spring setup you will absolutely tear it up, probably you'll rip the front ears of the diff center section and then you'll break the rear cover and then you'll get to spend another thousand bucks repairing the damage. Give the IRS to someone that needs it for grip instead of slip and stick a live axle in it with a Maximum Motorsports or Griggs torque arm and panhard bar 3-link setup in the back.
Wow I thought an IRS would be better for drifting since I hear so many complaints with the live axle and all the Japanese drifters have IRS.

I’m not looking to go competitive just a weekend warrior for fun. So front suspension coilovers and angle kit I know is a necessity. Eventually hydraulic handbrake. Car has more than enough power so engine mods aren’t needed. The rear suspension I was unfamiliar.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Roger that.

Stock IRS + heavy wheelspin = damage. The FTBR bushing kit almost completely knocks that problem off the table. Add rear coil over with 600lbs springs and you're golden.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online