Engine top crossmember issue?

• Thread starter Deleted per request
  • Start date
D

Deleted per request

I have done a Explorer intake swap and now the engine top crossmember is hitting the top intake in the drivers back corner. What have others done to get the clearance for it?
crossmember.jpg

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you referring to just under the furthest back of those 3 marks/scratches? It hitting the intake at that corner? If it’s “just barely” catching the corner, I’m wondering:
1. If there’s enough meat on that corner to file it down if the intake is metal; or
2. If the intake is plastic, again, either file/sand it down to clearance the corner or if you have to remove more and it makes a hole, maybe plasti-weld a straight piece to cover it.

Just some food for thought. I definitely wouldn’t “kink” the shock tower support. Might weaken/deminish its strength and effectiveness.

OP
OP
D

Deleted per request

Thanks Daryl but the intake is cast aluminum and it needs to go over the width of the tube. So the tube either needs to be cut and moved or splice a piece along side and then cut out the tube, neither will look great. The tube on the drivers side does have a bit of an offset but looks like it might have been installed rolled but not sure it would be enough if straightened. Not everyone run with these so is it necessary to install??? How much twist would this stop not sure.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can a new piece be routed and bent to circumvent that corner entirely? Kind of like bending metal brake lines?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
maybe try a Sesrch in this forum using keywords like Explorer intake, fitment, issues… etc etc
Sorry I wasn’t any help but hopefully someone who can relate to this problem will see the thread and chime in. Good luck and welcome again to The Herd!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the strut tower brace didn't fit with the gt40 intakes? I thought the cobra's didn't have them because of this?

OP
OP
D

Deleted per request

Well if that's the case, then i don't have an issue!!!
Just though with all this new found hp/torque it would be a good thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online