Transmission Issue. Need help!!!

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Yeah definitely sounds like it would just destroyed my trans more than it already is, guy at work who is just “one of those people” tried to get me to put Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my trans and I told him that is the stupidest idea possible, its for motor oil stabilizer not trans fluid, and he told me he put it in his trans and it works completely fine. Same guy who I bought an x pipe from that said it was from a 79-04 mustang but the x pipe was specific to fox bodies.

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
I had the speed lever position sensor issue and while my car was in D it would be on 2nd gear. I thought it was 1st but i noticed the revs were the same as when i shift into 2.
The sensor is like a $70 part and requires the car to be in neutral when replacing it. I think the fail safe of transmission is to go into 2nd gear so u can still drive
Edit.
Maybe worth to go to a transmission shop for a diagnostic many of them offer it free of charge. My guy plugged a lap top and showed me that his computer shows "2" while we were in " D ". He played around with the lever before suggesting to replace the Throttle lever position sensor. said its a small gamble but worth doing since its so much cheaper then tearing apart the transmission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
I have two options here and wants yalls thoughts on it, so here is option one, get my car towed to a transmission shop, have them diagnose it, figure out the problem. If it is something small lets then do it, spend a couple hundred. If it needs a rebuilt trans or even a new one let them do it spend maybe $800-$1000 or whatever itd be

OPTION 2: Go to my local “upull & pay”. Go back to the 98’ Mustang I pulled the wire harness for the trans for my car a couple weeks ago, take out the trans on that car whilst taking my chances with it being good or not, spending only about $120 with a $30 core charge. Swap it in my driveway.

Ive swapped my motor from a stock 98’ 4.6l to a 4.6l from an 05’ Lincoln towncar. Ive talked to some people and many say a trans swap is easier than a motor swap.

Now, if I did the trans swap in my driveway, is it do-able on jack stands/car ramps? Or would it be too low?

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
I have two options here and wants yalls thoughts on it, so here is option one, get my car towed to a transmission shop, have them diagnose it, figure out the problem. If it is something small lets then do it, spend a couple hundred. If it needs a rebuilt trans or even a new one let them do it spend maybe $800-$1000 or whatever itd be

OPTION 2: Go to my local “upull & pay”. Go back to the 98’ Mustang I pulled the wire harness for the trans for my car a couple weeks ago, take out the trans on that car whilst taking my chances with it being good or not, spending only about $120 with a $30 core charge. Swap it in my driveway.

Ive swapped my motor from a stock 98’ 4.6l to a 4.6l from an 05’ Lincoln towncar. Ive talked to some people and many say a trans swap is easier than a motor swap.

Now, if I did the trans swap in my driveway, is it do-able on jack stands/car ramps? Or would it be too low?
how much would the tow cost?
Edit: from what I understand these transmissions are solid I have 260k on mine. and it don't look like anyone has ever messed with it. the problems i would think is with electricals and sensors but im a noob I could be wrong.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
how much would the tow cost?
Edit: from what I understand these transmissions are solid I have 260k on mine. and it don't look like anyone has ever messed with it. the problems i would think is with electricals and sensors but im a noob I could be wrong.
So my tow would be free, I have “Erie Insurance” with a full coverage plan that i get free 24/7 road side assistance and ive gotten it towed before and it was free.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Where you at? I have a perfectly good transmission in a junk Gt that i need to roll out of my shop. You come take the trans out and help me roll this crap out of my shop, you can have the transmission.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Dropped my trans last night. easiest thing ive ever done. Took me a whole two hours to get the trans dropped. Still need to get the new one and put it in but so far so good.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If that was your first time dropping the trans, thats actually pretty good!

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
So Im having some issues, the cable that runs from my selector or the neutral safety switch I cannot for the life of me get off, i kept the cable connected when i dropped the trans because it had tons of slack. But there is a nut (13mm) on the part of the cable that connects to the NSS. As I got it cracked loose but now its just freely spinning. Theres nothing I can use on the other side of it as a back up because its a stud but a very weird one. I cannot get it off, any suggestions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online