Front coil problems

rkramer19

Reaction score
So I recently took apart the front end to change out the brakes, struts and coils. I picked up a set of ford racing b springs and new urethane isolators. I am trying to get the new spring in and I have the control arm free floating with nothing attached and I still cannot get the spring in the channel to jack it up and secured it. I have watched many how to videos but no one seems to have as much trouble getting their new shorter spring into the channel as I am having. What am I doing wrong? I have not done any mustangs and all the springs I have changed in the past have not been this much of a pain in the ass. I know I could do it easier without the isolators but I really prefer the isolators. Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
R

rkramer19

Reaction score
2f0cfph.jpg

IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/25p0rgl.jpg[/IMG]

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You could always try and use a spring compressor to shorten the length of the spring while you put the a-arm back in place and secure it. Also, are you letting the a-arm dangle all the way to give you ample room to put the spring in? Judging by that picture you posted the control arm is nowhere near perpendicular to the ground.

OP
OP
R

rkramer19

Reaction score
Yea I have tried the spring compressor but the one I got is actually longer than the spring itself which is pretty odd. The control arm is dangling and is being pushed down the picture I just set the spring in for the picture sake. I can get the spring in there but I can't keep it in place as I jack it up.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Pry bar.. it's been a while since I did mine. . I want to say I put it in the control arm then pry the top in.. or the other way around it's been a while

carbuff

Reaction score
I used a spring compressor when I did my ford b springs. I dont think they are physically much shorter than stock. It was tricky as the compressor had to be put in a certain way or you would never get it out. I was able to crank the spring dowm a lot out of the car but I remember that the long threaded rod had to stick out the one way or you could not get it out. I forget exactly but I think I did it the wrong way at first and had to remove it again and reverse it. Short story, the compressor from autozone worked for me.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Pry bar.. it's been a while since I did mine. . I want to say I put it in the control arm then pry the top in.. or the other way around it's been a while
When changing my stock springs out for lowering springs, and changing my lowering springs out for coilovers, for both removing and installing a spring I used a pry bar.. set the top in place and pry ed from the bottom to get it over the lip and pop in place... I also had my friend standing on the control arm to keep it down as far as it would go... I'm sure you could do it without a second person, put your foot on the control arm, lean into the crow bar to compress the spring and at the same time put more weight onto the control arm.