Has anyone used GT40 and nothing else?

bennylava

Reaction score
I wanted to stop by and ask if anyone here has just swapped GT40 heads onto a 94-95 GT, but did nothing else. So keeping the stock intake, and cam. What happens then? They say the GT40 heads are worth around 40 hp. But to get that, do you have to change the cam and intake too? What would happen if you only swapped the GT40 heads and did nothing else? Thanks!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You'd see *some* gain but still would be limited by the stock cam and intake. You’d benefit from a Cobra (or Explorer) intake with the GT40 heads. I don’t have direct experience with this combo but I made 243 with E7 heads, E303 cam and an Explorer intake.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
your looking for the 3 or a 4 bar head i wanna say
all cast iron heads 94 95 are baised on gt40

joemomma

Reaction score
GT40 = 3 bar
GT40p = 4 bar

To the OP - if you're going to go down to the heads, you might as well do the intake while you're there, and if you're going that far, you might has well do a cam and new timing components. I've got an Explorer intake that's been sitting on my garage shelf for almost 2 years waiting for me to get some heads and a cam together. I'm only going to do it once.

EDIT to add: "stock" GT40s (or Ps for that matter) won't let you run much of a cam without new valve springs.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
well i have a slew of them how many do you want .cant get rid of them fast enough
nobody uses them there just a plain gt 40head cast iron head

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i have done many head swaps from cast to aluminum or 4bar 3bar
so i get stuck with them

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
I might be interested in a set of 3 bar if you've got some laying around lol. Let me ask around and see what it would cost to get them refreshed.

OP
OP
bennylava

bennylava

Reaction score
I have a lower intake in southern indiana if someone has the upper
I'd buy that, but then I'll end up with two of them when I have to buy the upper and lower just to get the upper to go with it.
well i have a slew of them how many do you want .cant get rid of them fast enough
nobody uses them there just a plain gt 40head cast iron head

I'd buy a set of 3 bar GT40 heads from you, if I were in NM. But I'm sure shipping to TX would be more than the price of just going to a local junkyard and getting some.

joemomma

Reaction score
I'd buy that, but then I'll end up with two of them when I have to buy the upper and lower just to get the upper to go with it.

I'd buy a set of 3 bar GT40 heads from you, if I were in NM. But I'm sure shipping to TX would be more than the price of just going to a local junkyard and getting some.
You can typically find just the upper or lower on eBay. I bought mine separate.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Let me refraze i get stuck with the ones nobody wants
I do not have 3or4 bar just the gt40p

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
the ones i have that came off 93 94 95 gt 50.are not 3 or 4 bar and they are original heads that i have removed to replace with aluminum or better
if you need pics ill send if you want a set you pay the shipping ill send to you
it will get them out of my hair and yes E7 WITH P STAMP NOT WORTH A CRAP

OP
OP
bennylava

bennylava

Reaction score
If someone didn't mind doing a whole lot of porting and polishing, maybe the E7 heads could match the GT40 heads. For 12 hours of work.

My next question would be:

What if you just did the GT40 heads, and the intake? But you kept the stock 94 GT cam. You could save a lot of money that way, because the cam is where these cars freak out without a tune. You must get a tune if you use a different cam.

But you could just bolt on the GT40 heads and intake, and not need a tune.

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
If you had the tools/knowledge, you could certainly port the E7s and pick up some. How much? Dunno. Worth it? Debatable. Depends on how you value your time.

You could certainly do the intake and heads alone, and pick up a little, maybe 30whp?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
It will cost about the same porting the heads
And its time consuming
Aluminum heads or a set that has been done is faster
Just a swipe of a card

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the difference from the cobra to the GT was only 15 hp? So take the cam out of the equation and I can say it isn't worth the time for me to do it, with the cam I would still need a 12 pack to make it acceptable.

OP
OP
bennylava

bennylava

Reaction score
Not sure, google says the GT40 heads are worth 30-50 hp. What was the power difference between the Ford explorer engine, to the Mustang GT engine? It seems unlikely they made different heads and different intake to get 15hp. But maybe they knew it was good for a lot more if they wanted it, so they went ahead and made em? Who knows

Maybe you get 50 hp with Gt40 heads, explorer intake, and the biggest cam that matches those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online