How to replace you Multi-Function Switch

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
How to replace yourmultifunction switch!
So your brake lights and blinkersaren’t working, but your taillights still come on? More than likely it’s yourMulti-Function switch. Now, if you have a 2nd vehicle to go to your preferredparts store in; I recommend starting this process to make sure itIS NOT just unplugged. This tends to happen if you drive with the steering wheeltilted all the way down. They seem to be a common problem so here is the fixwith pix!

TOOLS NEEDED:
8mm socket
Philips screw driver
T20 torx screw
Paper clip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

First disconnect your battery, mostlyso you don’t blow the airbag in your face.

2ndshootsomecopies018.jpg

Next, you will attack the plasticunder dash cover, many mustangs have lost this part due to dry rot.

2ndshootsomecopies003.jpg

It is held on by two 8mm bolts and three pressin clips

2ndshootsomecopies004.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies009.jpg

Under the plastic piece there is ametal support that looks just like it, it’s held on by two 8mm bolts as well,mine were painted green.

2ndshootsomecopies011.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies012.jpg

Ok now is the time to put your key inyour ignition and unfold the paper clip, pressing it into one of the wholesunder the column. You may need to turn or wiggle your key to get it out, very little strength is need. Once it clicks it should slide out.

2ndshootsomecopies021.jpg

Next under the steering column thereare four Philips screws holding in the bottom, three on the right of thepicture and one on the left. (*Note the black thing with the wires is ananti-theft device in my vehicle*)

2ndshootsomecopies013.jpg

It should just drop down, now youdon’t need to remove the tilt lever just angle the plastic as needed and itshould slide off without much effort need or pulling.

2ndshootsomecopies014.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies015.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies016.jpg

On the top just press in the hazardlight button and it should come off pretty easy with minimal manipulation.

NOW IS THE TIME TO SEE IF YOURPIGTAILS JUST WORKED LOOSE OR IF YOUR SWITCH IS ACTUALLY BAD IT COULD SAVE YOUABOUT $45 AND A TRIP TO YOUR PARTS STORE, YOU SHOULD HEAR THE CLICK AS THEPIGTAILS SNAP BACK INTO PLACEIf they are nice and snug go aheadand unplug them. There will be two T20 torx screws holding it in place, removethem and it will slide out.

2ndshootsomecopies027.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies028.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies028.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies030.jpg

Reinstalling everything is easy, asyou can see its nearly impossible to mix up the pigtails, and the sensor will not bolt in any other way.

2ndshootsomecopies031.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies032.jpg

Put the top of the plastic columncover on.

2ndshootsomecopies032.jpg

Next is reinstalling the key cylinder.Push down the little stopper and make it point to the floor. It should justslide back in slight shift of the key will deploy the depressed stopper lockingback inside the column.

2ndshootsomecopies036.jpg

2ndshootsomecopies037.jpg

Turn it the correct way (Pic in next post)​

jeffery08

Reaction score
nice write up .

what is the harness on the bottom of the steering column for ?
i ask only because i have one on my car and have no clue what it is .

OP
OP
D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
nice write up .

what is the harness on the bottom of the steering column for ?
i ask only because i have one on my car and have no clue what it is .

its an anti theft device that when the chip is not inserted the car wont start .....it doesnt work too well hahaha and really easy to bypass. Mine actually malfunctioned so i removed most of it now.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
So in order to take the top part of the cover off on the column, the key cylinder has to be removed right? This is only part of the right up that doesn't seem clear. I'm going to order a new multi-function switch because my left signal isn't working right.

OP
OP
D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
So in order to take the top part of the cover off on the column, the key cylinder has to be removed right? This is only part of the right up that doesn't seem clear. I'm going to order a new multi-function switch because my left signal isn't working right.

Yeah in order to remove the top cover of the column the key cyclinder must come out ....

usually when the switch goes out ...everything thing goes with it havent heard of just one side going out

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Yeah in order to remove the top cover of the column the key cyclinder must come out ....

usually when the switch goes out ...everything thing goes with it havent heard of just one side going out

Nah the switch works great, is just the stalk is severely worn it takes a couple tries to get the left signal to blink. Its hard to explain. Everything esle works.

borlakid96

Reaction score
would a bad MFS cause the blinkers to be turned off manually? the blinkers and everything works fine the blinkers just stay on after the wheel straightens out so i have to turn them off everytime. Definatly a good write up.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
one warning about the key cylinder that I discoverd the hard way. If you turn it while it is out of the colum I think it was counter clock-wise it will fall apart in your hands into 3-4 pieces.

OP
OP
D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
one warning about the key cylinder that I discoverd the hard way. If you turn it while it is out of the colum I think it was counter clock-wise it will fall apart in your hands into 3-4 pieces.

Could u put it back together? Ill do mine if u figured it out and do a write up

The D3V

Goldmember

Reaction score
If I can add another insight to this:

Couple years back I had a '97 Grand Marquis with the same issue (no blinkers, etc). The MFS setup is pretty much identical to what the Mustang has. Read online that some people had luck by laying newspaper on the floor and spraying a little WD40 into the steering column at the hazard switch and working the turn signal stalk. Doing this saved my MFS. I had the car for another year after doing this and had zero issues. This doesn't always work but it is another possibility.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online