Jmod questions

don grant

Reaction score
Trying to do the jmod on my 94 mark 8 , i have the new pistons , gaskets ect .. but cant find a diagram of the separator plate drill sizes and hole numbers , the write up i found on here has no pictures what so ever , i have looked everywhere , any help would be great , im ready to put it back together , Ive found everything but the pre 96 models

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I have a gasket for a AODE and a 01+ Ill compare them when I get home. Ill send you a link to the video I use too, IIRC he talks about which shift is affected by the holes being drilled.

Hope this helps a little bit.

OP
OP
D

don grant

Reaction score
I have a gasket for a AODE and a 01+ Ill compare them when I get home. Ill send you a link to the video I use too, IIRC he talks about which shift is affected by the holes being drilled.

Yeah ive watched that video , several times,,but that is being done on a newer model trans , and is a bit different then the 94 or now im thinking mine may be a 93 , Also on the left in that video , he shows 2 small holes to be drilled , my separator plate only has 1 small hole there , which is whats really confusing me the most , i looked at pics of other plates from a 94 and they have 2 holes, also my gasket has 2 holes , Im wondering if i should just put the new parts in and forget drilling these holes bigger,, as mine had the common problem of the broken spring and when i dropped the pan the filter dropped out with it,,was pretty dirty in there and had some metal particles on the magnet ,

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
The 92.5+ aode, 4r70w and 4r75e are all part of the same family and very similar. The aode can be j modded just like the 4r70w but there are a few differences. Im not sure if that video shows them but I believe this article does.

https://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page1.shtml

That was written by Jerry, the guy who created the J mod by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

don grant

Reaction score
The 92.5+ aode, 4r70w and 4r75e are all part of the same family and very similar. The aode can be j modded just like the 4r70w but there are a few differences. Im not sure if that video shows them but I believe this article does.

https://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page1.shtml

That was written by Jerry, the guy who created the J mod by the way.

Mine is the 4r70w and i have tried to look at this a few times, all i ever get is error messages from that site

07GtS197

Reaction score
In the mustang they werent called 4r70w until 96 but thats not really relavent. You do have the aod gearing though instead of the 4r70w gearing.

When I pulled up that link it was giving me issues too but I figured it was only on my end. But the point is that its the same.

OP
OP
D

don grant

Reaction score
In the mustang they werent called 4r70w until 96 but thats not really relavent. You do have the aod gearing though instead of the 4r70w gearing.

When I pulled up that link it was giving me issues too but I figured it was only on my end. But the point is that its the same.

I have no clue what the gearing is , its the metric trans , they upgraded the trans VB in 96 , they used this one in the 93-95 mark 8s , all parts called for 4r70w

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Trying to do the jmod on my 94 mark 8 , i have the new pistons , gaskets ect .. but cant find a diagram of the separator plate drill sizes and hole numbers , the write up i found on here has no pictures what so ever , i have looked everywhere , any help would be great , im ready to put it back together , Ive found everything but the pre 96 models
I have done this mod on a 98 gt mustang with an automatic transmission
Street and strip B@M shift improvement
I have the hole pattern for the drill sizes
It might be the the same

07GtS197

Reaction score
I have no clue what the gearing is , its the metric trans , they upgraded the trans VB in 96 , they used this one in the 93-95 mark 8s , all parts called for 4r70w

If its stock it has the aod gearing but thats not important. The point is that the jmod is the same whether its a pre 96 or later 4r transmission.

OP
OP
D

don grant

Reaction score
I have done this mod on a 98 gt mustang with an automatic transmission
Street and strip B@M shift improvement
I have the hole pattern for the drill sizes
It might be the the same
can you post photos , i have found a couple different post with different holes and sizes , this is whats confusing , and also the fact that my separator plate seems to be missing 1 hole

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
can you post photos , i have found a couple different post with different holes and sizes , this is whats confusing , and also the fact that my separator plate seems to be missing 1 hole
You can run different size holes for different power levels.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I will look for that sheet first thing in the morning hopefully it will help you out

OP
OP
D

don grant

Reaction score
Yes it helps , tho i may not drill the holes , because i found some metal flakes on the magnet , quite a bit , I think im just going to install the new shift pistons/springs and filter and see how it does, also the after market drain plug i bought , I dont understand why the trans was so dirty when it was owned by a 78 year old woman who had it almost 25 years , and said she had never even had it over about 60 mph , and she serviced it regularly

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Yes it helps , tho i may not drill the holes , because i found some metal flakes on the magnet , quite a bit , I think im just going to install the new shift pistons/springs and filter and see how it does, also the after market drain plug i bought , I dont understand why the trans was so dirty when it was owned by a 78 year old woman who had it almost 25 years , and said she had never even had it over about 60 mph , and she serviced it regularly
Yup that's a lead foot granny
Do you have a sampling of how much meatal that came out could be the band's breaking in and the fluid was never changed or it could be disc in the pack

OP
OP
D

don grant

Reaction score
Yup that's a lead foot granny
Do you have a sampling of how much metal that came out could be the band's breaking in and the fluid was never changed or it could be disc in the pack
It wasnt too much , maybe 1/2 a teaspoon if i had added it all together , maybe less then that , 2 longer strands , maybe 1 inch long , it had been changed at least once because the idiots didnt reuse the stock gasket , they may have never cleaned the magnet either , the filter was in the pan when i dropped it, the fluid wasnt too bad,,not burnt but dirty , think i should go ahead and mod it ? 1 spring was also broke , but everything else looks good , It was working good when i bought it,,i had to drive 150 miles home , later that night i jumped on it and i heard a pop ,,pretty sure thats when the spring broke,,and it started haveing problems

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
It wasnt too much , maybe 1/2 a teaspoon if i had added it all together , maybe less then that , 2 longer strands , maybe 1 inch long , it had been changed at least once because the idiots didnt reuse the stock gasket , they may have never cleaned the magnet either , the filter was in the pan when i dropped it, the fluid wasnt too bad,,not burnt but dirty , think i should go ahead and mod it ? 1 spring was also broke , but everything else looks good , It was working good when i bought it,,i had to drive 150 miles home , later that night i jumped on it and i heard a pop ,,pretty sure thats when the spring broke,,and it started haveing problems
Flush it and try it
Could be it never got completely cleaned out

07GtS197

Reaction score
Remember to use mercon v when filling it back up. Im guessing it was the 1-2 shift spring? Thats a common problem.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Remember to use mercon v when filling it back up. Im guessing it was the 1-2 shift spring? Thats a common problem.

I never did have any problems with mine and I did use the B@M transmission oil recommended for it

07GtS197

Reaction score
I never did have any problems with mine and I did use the B@M transmission oil recommended for it

At least in the p71 world the 4r70w is known to break those springs and usually the owner doesnt know until they pull the valve body for whatever reason. I forget whether its the upper or lower spring that will affect shift firmness more though. One of mine was probably broken on my old 98 p71. That thing could chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift if I gave it some gas lol and the transmission was untouched.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online