Just joined

Simple Six

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I Joined SN95 Forums because I'm in the process of building a 1996 Mustang 3.8 v6, I know first big question why a 3.8 ?
Several reasons really the 3.8 SN95's all mostly have a lot of miles on them so they are fairly cheap to buy, all suspension upgrades bolt on like a GT, easy to convert to a manual transmission just like the GT, restoration parts are easy to get still at a reasonable price plus plenty of junkyard Mustang parts available of course there is eBay. The body parts are the all same except minor styling cobra and GT bumper covers cobra hood and spoiler. The SN95 gets criticized for the NPI 4.6 I had a 1998 GT and I supercharged it and it still was not all that spectacular on the dyno it did 317rwhp. only mods were bbk shorty headers, catback magna flow and vortech v3 supercharger no intercooler. Yeah I know I could have got the LS, coyote 5.0 or old school 5.0 BMR crossmember but to make it all work properly I would need the computer extra and misc wiring fill out extra paper work for the motor vehicle department for the v8 engine swap. I've seen turbo kits on eBay for the 3.8 plus ironically I still have my 1998 GT vortech supercharger (don't have the 1998 GT anymore)

There is a fair amount of 3.8 v6 support:
Engine Mods
I got a 1999 3.8 split port engine from the junkyard (to do split port swap) also the single port engine in the Mustang was toast.
Rotating assembly from Super Six motorsports 4.2 Stroker crank,pistons,rings,bearings and connecting rods.
Complete cylinder heads rebuild from Super Six Motorsports
Comp Cam and roller lifters
Engine block cleaned, machined and bored
F150 3.8 Aluminum upper intake. (I know the Windstar and Freestar upper intakes are a better option for power but they are plastic)
Custom Fuel rail (I made it myself hope it doesn't leak) new 24 injectors
I'm going to use the 1996 factory shorty exhaust manifolds (might go long tube headers later) long tubes can be a pain at times.

Suspension Mods
8.8 GT rear end (from junk yard)
3:55 Ford racing gears
Quadra shock set up with KYB shocks
BMR upper/lower control arms
BMR 1" lowering springs
KYB Struts
All new poly bushings front and rear
BMR crossmember
BMR Lower control arms

Transmission
The Mustang was an automatic in the process of swapping in T5 manual (from the junk yard)
Bellhousing,block plate, electrical harness and pedals (all from junk yard)
NEW Complete clutch kit.

Im still in process of putting the Mustang together but it's getting there.

You've probably guessed it, not my first build but this 1996 Mustang 3.8 turned into more than I ever intended it to be.

Anyway looking forward to hearing from the other 3.8 SN95 members even your not building your SN95 3.8 I almost took the whole car apart so if you have any questions maybe I can help.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Oh im watching this guy! Welcome to the forums!

I think its great building cars regardless of what everyone says how you should build it and what to use. You do you and we all will learn. I too am an underdog enthusiasts. Everyone takes the easy 2valve route with pi heads and they gain the same power as everyone else. As for me, im dabbling into the npi heads.....you already know, "the heads that dont make power". Well i have a different mindset, much like yours, these parts are plentiful and cheap. I can occupy my engineering mindset on the cheap and challenge myself at the same time. I have often pondered a high rev big bore short stroke v6 mustang, just because.

Hey im glad youre here. Definitely keep us updated

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! I had a Magic Green V6 back in the day. I had a blast with it, so I too commend you for doing a 3.8

Are you going to post some pics of the car? Wouldn’t mind seeing some if you get the notion. Cheers!

OP
OP
S

Simple Six

Reaction score
Check out the Modularheadshop.com if you haven’t heard about them.
They used to do NPI heads/cam stuff don’t know if they still do.

As I remember the biggest draw back to the NPI motor was the intake manifold. Obviously the water coolant leak but it just didn’t flow even with forced air.

The problem with the three year run 1996-1998 NPI it’s not financially viable for an aftermarket bolt on intake.

The thing was the 4.6 NPI was the same engine in the cougar/Thunderbird so I believe the market was there for that era for a NPI aftermarket intake but I think Ford didn’t want performance competition for the Supercoupe thunderbird.

The Bird/Cougar were discontinued in 1997 and in 1999 just like that the PI motor made it into production.

People however do get good results with porting polishing heads etc. on NPI heads.

The 1994-1998 Mustangs weigh in at about 3200-3500 libs. So 300-400hp at the rear wheels make it a fun car on the cheap with a boatload of aftermarket and restoration support.

I’m with you it’s all about having fun.

OP
OP
S

Simple Six

Reaction score
Welcome! I had a Magic Green V6 back in the day. I had a blast with it, so I too commend you for doing a 3.8

Are you going to post some pics of the car? Wouldn’t mind seeing some if you get the notion. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 3

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Check out the Modularheadshop.com if you haven’t heard about them.
They used to do NPI heads/cam stuff don’t know if they still do.

As I remember the biggest draw back to the NPI motor was the intake manifold. Obviously the water coolant leak but it just didn’t flow even with forced air.

The problem with the three year run 1996-1998 NPI it’s not financially viable for an aftermarket bolt on intake.

The thing was the 4.6 NPI was the same engine in the cougar/Thunderbird so I believe the market was there for that era for a NPI aftermarket intake but I think Ford didn’t want performance competition for the Supercoupe thunderbird.

The Bird/Cougar were discontinued in 1997 and in 1999 just like that the PI motor made it into production.

People however do get good results with porting polishing heads etc. on NPI heads.

The 1994-1998 Mustangs weigh in at about 3200-3500 libs. So 300-400hp at the rear wheels make it a fun car on the cheap with a boatload of aftermarket and restoration support.

I’m with you it’s all about having fun.
Im with you.

I remember Nick Mckinney mhs and his advancements with npi heads, along with a few thunderbird guys over at tccoa. MHS does good business. And no one really has intrests in npi heads at all... mostly because of the sheer horsepower simplicity of a npi short block with pi h/c/i package. Its too easy and cheap, but makes sense overall for an easy upgrade.

Man ive cut these heads in half multiple ways, cnc ported the intake ports, mill decked heads over an 1/8th material off to increase compression....lol....like 18:1 static.
If you rummage around this forum a little bit, search my user name, youll find my engine build shenanigans.

OP
OP
S

Simple Six

Reaction score
If I remember correctly when you did the PI swap on the NPI motor you had a compression issue because the combustion chamber was smaller on the PI head. If I remember correctly.
People who make the argument do a PI swap why not just go for the dual overhead cam 4.6. The IMRC can be deleted. Again more modding can make more hurdles to jump over but for some of us that’s the fun part.

One of my favorite builds was a 1993 Markviii.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online