Looking for shock recommendations for my '99

Reaction score
Being completely new to the Mustang world I have no clue what parts/brands to go for or avoid. So I'm turning to my newly adopted family for guidance. I need new shocks/struts. I'll try to list all the pertinent info, feel free to ask whatever you need to hone your suggestions.

1) '99 GT convertible
2) daily driver, 100% street car.
3) currently bone stock suspension
4) enthusiastically driven by someone who grew up with muscle cars. NVH are features, not bugs.
5) springs are reasonably cheap, so I'd be open to a package deal. But I am not interested in lowering the car. I have clearance issues already.

Not sure what else to add. Share your thoughts, ask your questions.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I used to run Tokico blues, but they dont sell them anymore. They were a perfect street shock/strut IMO
I actually have the front Tokico struts still laying around.

OP
OP
SouthernGorilla
Reaction score
Guess I'll be passing on the Tokicos. Can't find a reputable place that sells any Tokicos for SN95s. The D-specs look like good stuff. Just not available anywhere other than one shady ebay source.

Other than that, my options seem to be Bilstein, QA1, Koni, or Eibach. My perceptions of those brands aren't all that stellar. There's also Maximum Motorsports and their rather pricey offering.

chithead

Reaction score
I just went through this with our 98 - as stated above, really wanted those Tokico blues, but couldn't locate any from a reputable seller that weren't shipping from overseas.

Watched so many videos, even considered grabbing some used Bilstein from a Cobra, but pulled the trigger on the Koni STR.T - they definitely work way better than the stock struts and shocks did.

OP
OP
SouthernGorilla
Reaction score
pulled the trigger on the Koni STR.T - they definitely work way better than the stock struts and shocks did.
Never heard anything good about Koni before. But I imagine most anything is better than Gabriel or Monroe.

chithead

Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted to say if they were good enough for Shelby, they're good enough for me - but uhhhh, no. Kind of an oranges to apples comparison. QA1 or Bilstein would be next choices for me personally. Viking was on there too, but not ready to drop over a grand on struts and shocks.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I'll sell the Tokico blue struts I have if anyone is interested. They have about 25k miles on them

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
I have the white adjustable Tokicos on my ‘95 GT. I bought them from Steeda years ago with their sport springs and most of their suspension parts. The car rides much better than stock and it lowered it about 1 1/4”.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if the specific Tokiko’s aren’t available, then they’re a non-issue.
I would recommend either Bilstein or Koni:
1. because they’re available as OE caliber replacements; and
2. they won’t lower your car or harshen the ride.

On the “more affordable” side I actually had Monroe shocks on my ‘64 ChevyII which had front/rear upgrades to modern suspensions and they performed just fine for everyday driving. No shame there.
Just Googled them and car parts.com has all 4 for $139.00

Last edited:

TrickVert

Reaction score
I have Tokico Illumina 5-ways damping Eibach Pro-Kit springs, and the ride is firm, but compliant if that makes any sense. The car actually rides better than stock, now. IMO, you also can't go wrong with Bilstein.

chrisp427

Reaction score
Guess I'll be passing on the Tokicos. Can't find a reputable place that sells any Tokicos for SN95s. The D-specs look like good stuff. Just not available anywhere other than one shady ebay source.

Other than that, my options seem to be Bilstein, QA1, Koni, or Eibach. My perceptions of those brands aren't all that stellar. There's also Maximum Motorsports and their rather pricey offering.
Qai are good but can be pricey. I did put a QAI K-member on my 94GT but went with a SR coil over kit from American muscle. Comes with adjustable springs for the rear and the front coil overs are adjustable. I will post pictures if you want to see what it looks like installed.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Qai are good but can be pricey. I did put a QAI K-member on my 94GT but went with a SR coil over kit from American muscle. Comes with adjustable springs for the rear and the front coil overs are adjustable. I will post pictures if you want to see what it looks like installed.

Adjustable springs?

Makoto

Reaction score
i love my bc racing coilovers but I have a 99 cobra IRS so the rears would be a tiny bit different (IRS springs are bigger in the back). the valving actually changes the firmness substantially unlike some other kits i've used.

OP
OP
SouthernGorilla
Reaction score
i love my bc racing coilovers but I have a 99 cobra IRS so the rears would be a tiny bit different (IRS springs are bigger in the back). the valving actually changes the firmness substantially unlike some other kits i've used.
That's a really good looking kit. Only concern I have is the "extreme low". How much does it drop the car? I already have clearance issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online