maybe some of you suspension gurus can help me out

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I also have the MM lower control arms. I removed the quad shocks and the car hooks up well with no wheel hop. With 315x35x17 tires my tires would rub on those KYB quad shocks. If you look at the rubber bushings in the stock control arms it's easy to see why you get wheel hop.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
Okay they are probably the super stiff ones if I remember right, I will have to double check. Thanks

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
Quad shocks only dampen in a front to rear motion, not in a sideways fashion. Unless you're gunning it out of a tight turn you should not be experiencing wheel hop, and if some how you are, eliminating the poorly functioning quad shock would resolve said issue.

Just giving my advice on suspensions. to me, the extra money is worthless for quadshocks, but, if it's that important you have them, then go for it =]
Yeah that is kind of what you are supposed to do when exiting a corner if you want to get a decent lap time. Ask someone who does not just drive in straight lines. Why would eliminating a part (that ford put there to reduce wheel hop) eliminate wheel hop, that makes no sense. As sloppy as it is right now I do not even think taking it off would even effect it that negatively but why go through the trouble if your not going to replace it.

MadStang

Reaction score
Yeah that is kind of what you are supposed to do when exiting a corner if you want to get a decent lap time. Ask someone who does not just drive in straight lines. Why would eliminating a part (that ford put there to reduce wheel hop) eliminate wheel hop, that makes no sense. As sloppy as it is right now I do not even think taking it off would even effect it that negatively but why go through the trouble if your not going to replace it.

you're being given advice from someone who road races....... I never had any quad shocks on my old mustang when I ran it on the road course, had worn out bushings in the rear, and not once did it wheel hop powering out of a corner. Did it wheel hop doing a burnout? you bet it did, so bad that it sent the head unit flying out of the dash when it was a street car. The experience you're having while cornering is the nature of a solid rear axle car. going around a corner it's not going to be as nicely planted as an IRS stock for stock, nor is it going to be smooth with the caveman styled T-Lok that ford uses. That being said, best of luck with whichever route you take.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
you're being given advice from someone who road races....... I never had any quad shocks on my old mustang when I ran it on the road course, had worn out bushings in the rear, and not once did it wheel hop powering out of a corner. Did it wheel hop doing a burnout? you bet it did, so bad that it sent the head unit flying out of the dash when it was a street car. The experience you're having while cornering is the nature of a solid rear axle car. going around a corner it's not going to be as nicely planted as an IRS stock for stock, nor is it going to be smooth with the caveman styled T-Lok that ford uses. That being said, best of luck with whichever route you take.
Solid axles actually put power down better than irs when exiting a corner. You would know that if you really were into racing or even throwing your car around a track. Nobody wants to admit it but look at the new Boss 302, it has faster corner exit speeds than even the m3. when you throw bumps into the equation thats where irs really has an advantage. Irs also usually has higher mid corner speeds. Another thing and I am not hating on V6s or any cars with lower power, but it probably did not have the power to spin the wheels on corner exits.

MadStang

Reaction score
Solid axles actually put power down better than irs when exiting a corner. You would know that if you really were into racing or even throwing your car around a track. Nobody wants to admit it but look at the new Boss 302, it has faster corner exit speeds than even the m3. when you throw bumps into the equation thats where irs really has an advantage. Irs also usually has higher mid corner speeds. Another thing and I am not hating on V6s or any cars with lower power, but it probably did not have the power to spin the wheels on corner exits.

this is thoroughly debatable. Solid Rear Axles of today have come a long way since solid rear axles from 79-04. Our axles are the primitive 4-link system that is horrible at putting power down in all areas unless you make the proper modifications to do so. As I said, STOCK for STOCK, IRS puts the power down to the ground much better and much smoother. As for my car not being able to put down enough power, it made over 200 to the ground with 278ft-lbs of torque. The car moved for only weighing about 2700lbs and i have passed cars in NASA TT that I should not be passing with a lowly v6....

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
IRS. the acronym says it all. pound for pound independent suspension is best in corners. Note: fourth or july fireworks independence. .... solid axle is a stick with 2 wheels. the tlok aka limited slip or other words half ass posi. in a turn, loads one side and unload on the other to snub torque... in a perfect world (sense sarcasm) the 4 link should move buttery. it doesnt, at all. now, take your beloved stock sheet metal flexy-go-wacky LOWER control arms. they shift, bounce flex like TP in the wind on a road surface. torque transferring from the front to rear and load on rubbery busted bushing will make your rear end antsier then a sweat whore in a police line-up. they fold under pressure. so ford added the dumb ass quadshock. it bandaids the rain gutters somewhat again ( in a perfect world).. Most aftermarket companies tubed these hoes for something sturdier. hence Maximum motorsports (hears angels singing from above). they say and proven buy our control arms and you can ditch those in the dumpster. before, little johnny wanted to kick puppies cause he couldnt hook on a 215hp turd. sweet isnt it... fast forward to little johnny jubilantly smiling cause when he has his brakes on he has no more wheel hop.. theories are bullshit and semantics. stock lower control arms are only good for dumpster food. Quad shocks are dumpster food. for hippies, lets recycle for a greener earth.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Read. What MM says about the lower control arm, especially the description of what the bushings do relative to the suspension design.

Imo Quads are a bandaid on a sloppy stock setup ford should have addressed after the Fox.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Theres some good feedback inthis thread

For the record a solid axle converted to a 3-link is the best way to put power to the road especially when cornering and under a load while the suspension articulates. Basically because there is no bind. But you have to do some reading to get all the whys and how's. Suspension is more complex than most ppl think.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
thank you. some explanations and subjects go on and on. only way to fix a 4-link is a lateral panhard bar or torque arm. jeff, we already know this. its beating a horse. i'll note things that bugs me on these beaten dead horses questions. people giving an answer to a question someone asks. turn around, saying their wrong. if you already know an answer to a question; why ask?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I must have missed it. wasn't saying anyone was wrong, just what I've found to be the best info.
I'm also for upgrading when things wear out, some ppl aren't. it's no biggie.
things get rehashed all the time, just part of a forum and new members. forums are for discussion, don't you think?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.