Milkshake under the car ,Please help

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
Hi,
background: 1996 GT (260k miles)
I was running the car at idle for about 20 minutes in the driveway and noticed a milkshake on the concrete.
Looked under the car its all in oil, no clue where it could come from. My engine oil leak has been constant i add 1quart every 2 months or so. Also my power steering is leaking so I add some to power steering as well.
I figure its headcasket and its my engine oil causing milkshake, I decided to change the oil so i can at least drive it to the mechanic before causing further damage.
but old oil doesn't seem to have mixed with any coolant, it looks clean, just looks like old oil.(see picture Its been like a year since my last oil change and 5k miles. )
(I didn't check coolant reservoir. don't know if coolant is clean.)
Question:
What Else could be causing the milkshake?
Can the oil dripping and coolant leak and power steering leak be causing the milkshake under the car after they leak? or is it most likely something is mixing inside the car engine/coolant and leaks after?
I try to look under and spray degreaser to see where the leak is coming from but i couldn't figure it out its all in oil everywhere.

20240127_144525.jpg 20240127_143452.jpg20240127_153920.jpg

dalpoas83

Reaction score
I think I’d check the coolant. If that’s clean you may be ok. Maybe leaking oil filter adapter gasket I feel like they had some trouble on those 4.6s.

OP
OP
mustang1996gt

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
I looked inside it seems fine, not fully clear but doesn't look like it's mixed w oil. However do see some dirt particles on the walls of the reservoir what do you think?20240309_082510.jpg

weendoggy

Reaction score
Hard to pinpoint, but given your information, PS leak and coolant would be more of a redish color. Water in engine oil is more of a tan colored milkshake, and thick. You'd also show a loss of coolant. Pressure testing the coolant system would help diagnose the issue. Also, looking at the picture under the car it's hard to say if it's all around the rack area, which leads me to the PS leak as well as a coolant leak. If your engine oil was clean, unlikely an internal issue, but I'm not ruling it out due to just pictures.

OP
OP
mustang1996gt

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
Hard to pinpoint, but given your information, PS leak and coolant would be more of a redish color. Water in engine oil is more of a tan colored milkshake, and thick. You'd also show a loss of coolant. Pressure testing the coolant system would help diagnose the issue. Also, looking at the picture under the car it's hard to say if it's all around the rack area, which leads me to the PS leak as well as a coolant leak. If your engine oil was clean, unlikely an internal issue, but I'm not ruling it out due to just pictures.
Thank you for reply, I forgot to add whem i discovered the milkskake it was raining previous days so the ground and car was wet.
Also powert steering fluid looks pretty bad. heres a photo.

20240309_145355.jpg

weendoggy

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a far cry from being good fluid. It is red. I'd flush that entire PS system and put new fluid in, AND, fix your leak!

OP
OP
mustang1996gt

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
I tried to replace the power steering fluid, (It was bad) but I couldn't get the line off from underneath.
so i ended up sucking up everything from the reservoir with turkey baster with wheels off the ground moving steering wheel side to side.
then putting new fluid in, moving wheels side to side and turning the car on and again wheels side to side.

I repeated the process 6 times till I ran out of new 3 quarts of fluid.
by my calculation i still have about 17% of old fluid still in system mized in with new fluid. Its not ideal but its a start. fluid was getting little lighter each time

But now I noticed that the system is connected to a braking system though a hydro booster. is this true? The brake lines have this fluid in the lines as well? can anyone tell me how it actually all works. And how critical not to have a leak in this system is and also what is proper fluid to be using? Since i was using just average Prestone steering fluid(which was clear and not red)

And now thinking if i might have an issue with braking? Maybe go to a mechanic that could diagnose where the leak is coming from to actually fully fix it.?

20240310_164009.jpg

Last edited:

GTamas

Reaction score
Brake fluid and ps fluid are two totally different materials. It must not be mixed. Pretty sure your ps and brake lines are not connected.

OP
OP
mustang1996gt

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
Oh Ok, As i understand it, the hydro booster just gives an additional push to the master brake cylinder in helping to distribute Braking fluid during braking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online