Need help with the old girl. (transmission issue)

Sleeper

Reaction score
Need some help with the old girl. (not my wife, the car!) Prior owner installed a shift kit and I believe a different rear end and I hate it. It may be cool on the strip but shifts way too hard for the street. Holds on to 1st and 2nd way too long, speedo is off by about 10/12 mph and now I'm getting an overdrive slip / pulsation. I would love to perhaps put it back to the original. I could live with the a little shift overlap over the whiplash I'm currently getting. Any advice?
301142338_10226859910862523_6600317604669309831_n.jpeg

Wmac

Reaction score
Any idea which shift kit was installed? You would need to know in order to "undo" and return to a near stock configuration.
Rear gear can be determined by rotating the driveshaft.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
As far as I know you cannot undo the drilling in the plates
Unless you buy new ones
And when drilled it won't work correctly with the stock plungers and springs
This pertains to the shift kit

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
For the gears 373 are the common swap
You would need to remove the rear cover to check
But 373 is not a bad gear to have

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
But 3.73’s aren’t even close to stock. It sounds like you’d be happy with 3.31’s. For shift kits and speedo gears, I am partial to LMR.com because of the quality brand options they offer, including Ford Performance. Their website will walk you through compatible components for whatever direction you want to go.

BTW, is this something you can do yourself or are you going to a tranny shop? Reason I ask: I’m probably one of the least-skilled of the active members on this particular Forum and I was able to do a short-throw shifter and speedo gear myself. Not too hard at all. Save you some $$$ at the mechanic’s… ;-)

Cheers. Good luck and welcome!

P.S.- don’t forget to post in the “New Member Introductions”. It’s a protocol that’s not only cordial but is appreciated. And, it’ll get more members’ eyes on your posts and more help/ replies as a result! Good people here. Go for it!
For the gears 373 are the common swap
You would need to remove the rear cover to check
But 373 is not a bad gear to havstock or even close!

Wmac

Reaction score
If the o/p new what shift kit was installed, then he could buy an oem type seperator plate, as well as possibly any oem type springs and/or valves that were changed, basically putting it back to stock configuration.
Then possibly do a mild jmod.

3.73 would be perfect for a heavy vert. (with a jmod)

Any shift kit requires removing the valve body. Not so difficult, lots of info out there, but be prepared. Requires medium to moderate skill level.

OP
OP
S

Sleeper

Reaction score
But 3.73’s aren’t even close to stock. It sounds like you’d be happy with 3.31’s. For shift kits and speedo gears, I am partial to LMR.com because of the quality brand options they offer, including Ford Performance. Their website will walk you through compatible components for whatever direction you want to go.

BTW, is this something you can do yourself or are you going to a tranny shop? Reason I ask: I’m probably one of the least-skilled of the active members on this particular Forum and I was able to do a short-throw shifter and speedo gear myself. Not too hard at all. Save you some $$$ at the mechanic’s… ;-)

Cheers. Good luck and welcome!

P.S.- don’t forget to post in the “New Member Introductions”. It’s a protocol that’s not only cordial but is appreciated. And, it’ll get more members’ eyes on your posts and more help/ replies as a result! Good people here. Go for it!
Thank you Daryl...I'll post in the other section. All new to this. I'm pretty mechanical, done lots of minor repairs and bodywork over the years. I restore old 80's and 90's motorcycle, so I'm pretty confident of certain things, transmissions are just a bit out of my comfort range. I didn't want to just be one of those guys who watches a video and just jumps in and gets over his head. Thought joining a community of people with knowledge and experience would be a good place to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online