Oh god! I just can’t do it anymore!!!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I've been subjected to some extreme temperatures over the last couple decades or so, mostly due to where my travels took me in service of the Air Force or the Army. When I was active, one job I had was installing experimental avionics equipment into old ass B-52 bombers on the flightline at Barksdale AFB (Northwest Louisiana). Swamp land. Hot AF, humid AF, and you prayed to whatever you believe in that there was an A/C cart available for your aircraft that day because there was only so many to go around. So our crew tried to head out there early in the morning. There was two or three times in summer we weren't lucky, and a giant metal can baking in the sun with you and four other dudes in the cramped spaces of an airframe is a pretty shitty day. It's usually something like high 90s or low 100s in that area and by the time you've finished your work after about two or three hours in there, it literally feels like you're stepping into an air conditioned room out on the flightline. Or like you stepped into a supermarket cold room.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I think I saw it was supposed to be over 100 all week down there, and around 80 here. There could be some interesting storms this next week from what I understand.

joe65

Reaction score
We've had a pretty different start to summer here. Just yesterday we broke 90 otherwise it had been rainy and 60's. Been mowing the lawn 2 times a week without watering it, which is really weird here.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
June gloom here; overcast, 70’s. But it feels like 70’s!!

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
I feel for you folks in Texas. I lived in El Paso from November through the following July back in the 80s. It's a dry heat, they said. Not as bad as a humid heat, they said. What I found to be the difference in a dry heat vs. humid heat was in the west Texas dry heat, you don't sweat before you pass out from heat stroke. Whereas in say Louisiana or Mississippi, you breathe liquid air and rain sweat before you pass out from heat stroke. 110° is 110° and that is just plain hot. IMO, the heat index should be renamed the "misery index". I much prefer conditioned air these days somewhere in the 70° range, + or - a degree or two.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I feel for you folks in Texas. I lived in El Paso from November through the following July back in the 80s. It's a dry heat, they said. Not as bad as a humid heat, they said. What I found to be the difference in a dry heat vs. humid heat was in the west Texas dry heat, you don't sweat before you pass out from heat stroke. Whereas in say Louisiana or Mississippi, you breathe liquid air and rain sweat before you pass out from heat stroke. 110° is 110° and that is just plain hot. IMO, the heat index should be renamed the "misery index". I much prefer conditioned air these days somewhere in the 70° range, + or - a degree or two.
Question is when you comming back El Paso
To enjoy the wind and dirt and heat

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to say I was amazed how in Az if you could just get out of the sun and there was a light breeze just how comfortable 90 degrees could be but I have always been a little better at keeping cool with my head shaved as it is. But that is not to say that when it was 110+ when you opened the door to your car after a short stop if was like sticking your head in the oven.... I can remember a couple of times I could feel my steering wheel was a little softer than normal but it was too hot to squeeze.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
“Misery index” I like that. It’s only in the last couple of years they’ve been reporting “heat index” and “feels like” temperatures. In the 80s and 90s, they didn’t do that. But I also feel like it wasn’t that hot like it is now. I don’t think it was that humid either. I remember spending hours outside in the summer, and also not using the AC in my mustang, simply letting the top down.

Sumner officially begins tomorrow.

Updated photo of vanity parking:
EEB11FC8-948C-43F6-BF2A-E44ACA5D0D1D.jpeg

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Question is when you comming back El Paso
To enjoy the wind and dirt and heat
Well, funny you ask. That's a whole 'nother story but I was actually advised to leave El Paso by, let's just say, certain Federal Authorities and not come back. That was July 12th, 1984 and I have lived up to my end of those "instructions" since that day. I spent many a day sitting on the "A" on the side of the mountain overlooking El Paso and in McKelligon Canyon enjoying uuuhhh...nature, yeah, nature. Man - memories of a misspent youth. I had a really good time there, though. Too good for my own good, actually. The winter there wasn't that bad but the part of the summer I was there was brutal.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
It is rediculous. 107 feel like is 115. Can't get anything accomplished. I went to the Salvage yard this morning for some ZJ parts. By the time I got home, too hot to mess with it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Well, funny you ask. That's a whole 'nother story but I was actually advised to leave El Paso by, let's just say, certain Federal Authorities and not come back. That was July 12th, 1984 and I have lived up to my end of those "instructions" since that day. I spent many a day sitting on the "A" on the side of the mountain overlooking El Paso and in McKelligon Canyon enjoying uuuhhh...nature, yeah, nature. Man - memories of a misspent youth. I had a really good time there, though. Too good for my own good, actually. The winter there wasn't that bad but the part of the summer I was there was brutal.
Remember those ant hill days
That was great
Keg in the car cruzin

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure your about the same age as me
I can remember when El paso was not very big
Now there's just assholes everywhere

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Remember those ant hill days
That was great
Keg in the car cruzin

I'm sure your about the same age as me
I can remember when El Paso was not very big
Now there's just assholes everywhere
LOL! :D That seems to be the trend nowadays no matter where you go!
I was 15 and turned 16 when I was there; seems like a lifetime ago now. I was King of the World back then...at least in my own little mind. El Paso was a cool town when I was there; same with Las Cruces. I enjoyed going up to White Sands, Alamogordo, Truth or Consequences, etc. in the cooler months. Again, hard to enjoy traveling when your face melts when you go outside. Never cared much for Juarez.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
a lot has changed
i can remember lee Travino road was just being developed when i turned 16
and that was city limit now its all the way to horizon city limit