Post A Pic Of Your Latest Purchase Thread...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I talked to a few of their guys at our manager's conference last year and Scott with Grip Royal has got them teamed up on a few things, I need to go check them out sometime.
Do it! If you go to their warehouse (on democrat rd, go figure), you have to call them to get inside because everything is locked. They get robbed too often so none of the doors are open.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Just received some serious voltage sensitive relays for the upcoming dual-battery setup, main purpose to be able to bridge the starting battery with the main battery in case of a starting battery failure. Controlled automatically via the dip switches, or manually via the knob or in-cabin with the connector harness. Should be sweet.

Attachments

• 20240105_122342.jpg
    20240105_122342.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240105_122352.jpg
    20240105_122352.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240105_122358.jpg
    20240105_122358.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240105_122755.jpg
    20240105_122755.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 3

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Well... it was too good to pass up. An 01 snake engine complete from intake to oil pan with relatively low miles (63k) and it just needs bearings and probably a crank polish (maybe a turn). Picked up the whole works for a grand. Now I have a donor to work on so I'll start amassing parts. Still want to do an ~11:1 motor, FR500 cams, and forged I-Beams and forged slugs, ARP all the things, new valves/keepers/seals/locks. Thinking about maybe having the crank lightened but not sure. Thoughts on that?

Have to decide between porting the heads it has on it or using the navigator heads that I have.

I'm entertaining the idea of doing a kind of hidden direct-port nitrous kit but I need to look deeper into the intake manifold to see if it's worth trying.

In cool news, freebie BBK dual 62mm throttle body comes with it along with all the wiring and stuff. Should make it a snap to swap in.

1704487554399.png

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Note to self on the nitriding. Figured the knife edge would be responsible for much of the lightening on the crank.

It's not actually max effort but not far off. I want the sound of a V8 screaming like a cheerleader with their feet on the dash but without losing too much town driving manners... something like this:

I have to stay within Kommiefornia emissions so the intent is to get it to spin up to 8k RPM with the power band peaking around 6800, get the static compression as high as our 91 octane trash gas can deal with and solve all of the problems that those two things bring. I want it to have the aural attitude of a race car without losing too much drivability. Navi heads or aggressively ported cobra/mach heads, plus aggressive reworking of the intake manifold, and fr500 cams should push the power band out to 6500 peak. To get it to move 300-500rpm higher I may very well have to go to something of a more aggressive cam but we'll have to see.

I'm basically replacing torque with rpm and gears so it can wind out to heart stopping RPM levels and still fry the hides for fun. I don't want to find myself shifting into 3rd because I'm at 6000rpm coming into a corner when track day racing and I don't want to be shifting before I've passed the turbo'd teggy so I can get in the turn lane on the street. So there's drivability issues that I'm solving there by adding RPM capability. Then I have to deal with the fact that high static compression puts an increase to pumping losses and doesn't help emissions and it's not entirely compatible with the garbage 91 octane we have here. Pulling the oil out of the PCV air helps by re-moderating the combustion reaction via getting the effective octane randomness caused by PCV oil contamination out of the equation (this is an improvement on the scale of decimal places). The motor will need to want to rev quickly. Lightening the crank and going to an aluminum flywheel will help the most. So will 4.10's which I have on order. It also requires much larger injectors, which I have on order, so the minimum pulse width and the single-pulse minimum volume delivery requirement are on the same planet. I am planning on also setting up a crank case vacuum pump system I designed for a very different industrial application with a manifold-vacuum referencing controller as a modification to the PCV system. So, the PCV would work more or less normally with the insertion of a sort of catch can while under part throttle but as soon as manifold vacuum drops off the cliff as I roll into WOT a set of valves would reverse position and a variable speed electric crank case pump would put a small vacuum in play and positively venting the crankcase to the atmosphere whilst shutting off the PCV and breather lines.

The goal is known, 350rwhp or more, cali smog legal, be able to roast the meats in first, rev like a supercar, eat 91 octane, be nitrous friendly, be relatively low maintenance. Much of the route is known, there are many details I just haven't sorted out yet. The direct port nitrous system I have in mind will require the intake be modified to shorter runner configuration so it can be hidden inside and under the intake manifold, so that's one thing deciding another thing for me. I still haven't decided on going back to using a tko/tkx transmission, popping for a t56 or just leaving the 3650 in place and the decisions about gear ratios (I think it's going to end up being a 3650 car long term).

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Note to self on the nitriding. Figured the knife edge would be responsible for much of the lightening on the crank.

It's not actually max effort but not far off. I want the sound of a V8 screaming like a cheerleader with their feet on the dash but without losing too much town driving manners... something like this:

I have to stay within Kommiefornia emissions so the intent is to get it to spin up to 8k RPM with the power band peaking around 6800, get the static compression as high as our 91 octane trash gas can deal with and solve all of the problems that those two things bring. I want it to have the aural attitude of a race car without losing too much drivability. Navi heads or aggressively ported cobra/mach heads, plus aggressive reworking of the intake manifold, and fr500 cams should push the power band out to 6500 peak. To get it to move 300-500rpm higher I may very well have to go to something of a more aggressive cam but we'll have to see.

I'm basically replacing torque with rpm and gears so it can wind out to heart stopping RPM levels and still fry the hides for fun. I don't want to find myself shifting into 3rd because I'm at 6000rpm coming into a corner when track day racing and I don't want to be shifting before I've passed the turbo'd teggy so I can get in the turn lane on the street. So there's drivability issues that I'm solving there by adding RPM capability. Then I have to deal with the fact that high static compression puts an increase to pumping losses and doesn't help emissions and it's not entirely compatible with the garbage 91 octane we have here. Pulling the oil out of the PCV air helps by re-moderating the combustion reaction via getting the effective octane randomness caused by PCV oil contamination out of the equation (this is an improvement on the scale of decimal places). The motor will need to want to rev quickly. Lightening the crank and going to an aluminum flywheel will help the most. So will 4.10's which I have on order. It also requires much larger injectors, which I have on order, so the minimum pulse width and the single-pulse minimum volume delivery requirement are on the same planet. I am planning on also setting up a crank case vacuum pump system I designed for a very different industrial application with a manifold-vacuum referencing controller as a modification to the PCV system. So, the PCV would work more or less normally with the insertion of a sort of catch can while under part throttle but as soon as manifold vacuum drops off the cliff as I roll into WOT a set of valves would reverse position and a variable speed electric crank case pump would put a small vacuum in play and positively venting the crankcase to the atmosphere whilst shutting off the PCV and breather lines.

The goal is known, 350rwhp or more, cali smog legal, be able to roast the meats in first, rev like a supercar, eat 91 octane, be nitrous friendly, be relatively low maintenance. Much of the route is known, there are many details I just haven't sorted out yet. The direct port nitrous system I have in mind will require the intake be modified to shorter runner configuration so it can be hidden inside and under the intake manifold, so that's one thing deciding another thing for me. I still haven't decided on going back to using a tko/tkx transmission, popping for a t56 or just leaving the 3650 in place and the decisions about gear ratios (I think it's going to end up being a 3650 car long term).
Might also look into a dry sump system and kill two birds with one stone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludillla

Members online