Putting on starter wrap.. How hard?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Had to get starter heat wrap to put around my starter since I got my longtubes put on.. Thing is guy wants $150 to put it on since he's gotta take off the header... Definitely don't have the $150, how hard would it be for me to put on?

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
It shouldn't be hard at all. It should have a sticky side that you basically tape it on from what I've seen. Getting to the starter shouldn't be too hard either. Someone else can chime in on that though.

Have you considered a high torque mini starter? That'll also help with your longtubes. I'll be swapping mine out since my starter continously heat soaks from my LTs and I plan on adding a wrap to it prior to install.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
It shouldn't be hard at all. It should have a sticky side that you basically tape it on. Getting to the starter shouldn't be too hard either. Someone else can chime in on that though.

Have you considered a high torque mini starter? That'll also help with your longtubes. I'll be swapping mine out since my starter continously heat soaks from my LTs and I plan on adding a wrap to it prior to install.

I'd like to attempt it, save myself the $150.. If the starter ever needs to be replaced, yeah I'd get the mini one. But don't have the $$ for it right now. Yeah the wrap is actually velcro (or however you spell it).

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
I'd like to attempt it, save myself the $150.. If the starter ever needs to be replaced, yeah I'd get the mini one. But don't have the $$ for it right now. Yeah the wrap is actually velcro (or however you spell it).

Understandable. I think they have different kinds of wraps. But after looking back at the wrap I was going to get, it is a velcro style wrap. You were right, my fault.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/DEI-010402/Mustang-Starter-Heat-Wrap-7-X24

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I bought lol. Came pretty quick from Texas, only like 4 days to me in NY. Think maybe if I drove the front up on ramps I'd be able to do it?

Depending on your clearances it might be possible. I didn't put my longtubes on but I know the shop had to heat up and massage the passenger side header to clear the starter so you might need to have it removed. I'll have to crawl underneeth and check or look through some of my pictures.

Personally I'd wait until you can get the mini starter that way you're not doing the same job twice.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Hmm. Gotta see. Idk lol. Theres a small amount of clearance but im not paying $150 to have wrap put on

Suspect

Reaction score
^this.. 2 bolts hold it in. probably need some extensions. unbolt, wrap, bolt back on.

really after thinking about it.. id just jack it up high, put some jackstands under it, and see if your not able to just slide it on.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You can remove the starter and leave the headers. It's a lil tricky but not hard all. .
Hmm.. Thanks for the input
^this.. 2 bolts hold it in. probably need some extensions. unbolt, wrap, bolt back on.

really after thinking about it.. id just jack it up high, put some jackstands under it, and see if your not able to just slide it on.

Thats all? I got extensions and all that crap, no problem there. If thats the case i'll just unbolt it, wrap it up and put it back in. I can put the front up on drive up ramps btw. Its a good thing it velcrows, might be able to just push it through and put it on. Can even have one person underneath and one in the engine bay fiddling with the wrap. Thanks guys

RichV

Reaction score
I dunno how tight the headers are on the starter, but it's a 5 minute job to remove after the car is jacked up. I do the upper bolt from the top with a long ass extension, then get under it for the bottom bolt. It will then drop down and hang by the cable.

REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!! THE STARTER WIRE IS A UNFUSED HOT AT ALL TIMES. If you forget, you'll get some serious sparks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArcAngel

Members online