Rear End Clunk -__-

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
So I arrived in Columbus yesterday with some bad clunking. Every time I let off the gas at low speeds you can hear it clunking in series almost like a roller coaster going up the hill kind of shit. Also the abs light kicked on and trac control off.... Now I'm 130mi from home for the weekend at my girlfriends school with only jumper cables.... Am I going to make it home Sunday?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
Awww Mann...I sure hope you make it back...Not that I would chance it...It almost sound like you have a bad U Joint....Is it more like when going from acceleration to deceleration??...Or maybe even slip yoke problems!..The splines could be worn!...I thought you had some rear end problems before? If I can help you out some way..let me know..just call or text me 248-943-4895

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Check and see if your drive shaft bolts are tight. I had this probLem and two of my bolts were gone and others was loose.

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Twista is on it!! thats the route I'd go too. also check to make sure your calipers are secure.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks fellas I appreciate the responses but I have no tools whatsoever to check anything. Feeling pretty naked about that too

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Buy some tools! Then keep them in your car!

Sounds like a u joint. My truck did that for a long time til I finally had enough of driving through school parking lot with that sound... It also started to make a nice grinding sound by the end :) loved it!

If it is the the u joint you should be fine to get home. But check the driveshaft bolts like the other said.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing when my rear went, there was axle play and the axles were shifting enough side to side to catch the caliper bracket and "clunk"

It would be a multitude of things tho. keep us updated with what you find, i damn sure wouldn't take it 150mi with a clunk.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Well I made it home fortunately.... I'll inspect it when I'm feeling like working on it. At this point I'm ready for a break from shit breaking so I'm not driving it during the week

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
You really only hear it when you slow down tho.. almost like a roller coaster sound to it. Can feel it in the shifter. And I have no idea why the fawk the abs light comes on from it

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
You really only hear it when you slow down tho.. almost like a roller coaster sound to it. Can feel it in the shifter. And I have no idea why the fawk the abs light comes on from it

Well get it up in the air and start visually checking everything I have a feeling you're pulling your diff cover. Start by wiggling your wheels side to side and seeing if theres any play. Light play is normal (very small sway) at a high mileage build. If its anything over a 1/8th of a inch you're in trouble.

If you pull the cover you can lay down and look at it while you have your feet on a wheel (either side) and spin the wheels and watch the spider gears and see if you see pieces missing out of them. It could be time to build up something nasty for the rear of your car

If its in the shifter it could be time to look into the tranny too. its so hard to dissect this without hearing it tho. if is possible to make a video please do

keep us up with it

chris91

Reaction score
Wait a minute. Youre running a 94-98 rear. What did you do about the front lca bolts? I know the body has bigger holes than the smaller bushing holes.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Well get it up in the air and start visually checking everything I have a feeling you're pulling your diff cover. Start by wiggling your wheels side to side and seeing if theres any play. Light play is normal (very small sway) at a high mileage build. If its anything over a 1/8th of a inch you're in trouble.

If you pull the cover you can lay down and look at it while you have your feet on a wheel (either side) and spin the wheels and watch the spider gears and see if you see pieces missing out of them. It could be time to build up something nasty for the rear of your car

If its in the shifter it could be time to look into the tranny too. its so hard to dissect this without hearing it tho. if is possible to make a video please do

keep us up with it

Yeah I'm gonna see if I feel like bringing her up today to get a look at things. The battery I think is shot so not gonna be able to get a running vid as of yet. But thanks for the suggestions that gives me a few more places to look. I heard something about the clutch cable might have loosened up.. clutch could be catching... tons of shit lol

But I already have an Auburn pro diff and Moser 31's haha...

Wait a minute. Youre running a 94-98 rear. What did you do about the front lca bolts? I know the body has bigger holes than the smaller bushing holes.

Yes sir you are absolutely correct! I just simply drilled out the holes on the axle tubes themselves and used the larger bolts

chris91

Reaction score
So you drilled the sleeve to accommodate the bigger bolts? Did it leave a good bit of sleeve left or was it on the thinner side? Like could it have cracked and now you're hearing that?

Nightmare

Reaction score
If you over drilled them, then this could be your problem, however I am leaning more towards the u-joints are failing. I had the same issue in my 88 fox after the break in period on a new set of gears....

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
So you drilled the sleeve to accommodate the bigger bolts? Did it leave a good bit of sleeve left or was it on the thinner side? Like could it have cracked and now you're hearing that?

Negatory. The amount I had to drill out was rather minimal. Like my 2000 bolts BARELY didn't fit in the hole so I drilled it out so that I just have to give them a light tap with a mallet to get them through. There's still a ton of sleeve left. Good call on that one tho Chris

If you over drilled them, then this could be your problem, however I am leaning more towards the u-joints are failing. I had the same issue in my 88 fox after the break in period on a new set of gears....

My old man thinks it could be the u joint too but I don't get how a u joint would cause the abs light to come on? :dontknow:

If I had the time today I would have jumped the bucket o bolts and driven it around with an attempt at a vid... Maybe tomorrow tho because I've had to start crackin on my apprenticeship book today lol

Nightmare

Reaction score
My old man thinks it could be the u joint too but I don't get how a u joint would cause the abs light to come on? :dontknow:

If I had the time today I would have jumped the bucket o bolts and driven it around with an attempt at a vid... Maybe tomorrow tho because I've had to start crackin on my apprenticeship book today lol

The vibration bud. It could be so bad that it is sending a false signal to the ABS sensors, causing an ABS fault. I have heard of stranger things happening. Is the light always on now or does it come on only under decel then go away?

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
The vibration bud. It could be so bad that it is sending a false signal to the ABS sensors, causing an ABS fault. I have heard of stranger things happening. Is the light always on now or does it come on only under decel then go away?

It starts staying off when the car is started then turns on... No idea whether or not it waits for me to drive or not. I don't think it goes back out until I turn the car off either. It's really weird man

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Impossible_Fishy

Members online