Frank's 95' GT vert.

frank336

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Frank, i'm 30yr old and live in quebec, Canada. I'm an electrician as my day job since i'm 18. Have always loved cars and had over 25 cars in my 20's. But now i'm settled down, i have a house, garage and have the same daily driver since 2016. A 2016 vw golf 1.8t.

Last summer i had a motorcycle, a 2012 kawasaki vaquero which was my 12th motorcycle, i have tried every kind of motorcycle, from dirtbike to race bike! But i like riding with my girlfriend and bought a nice 1700cc cruiser and had it for 2 years. But the vaquero was missing something which was the need to wrench on it. The bike was in perfect condition so i had nothing to do with it. Sure you can put a set of aftermarket exhaust but its like a 2hrs job and its done! I was missing the get your hands dirty side!

So i decided to sell the bike in september and i was actually suprised that it sold in september because in quebec we have a lot of snow in the winter and we store our bike in the winter! But it sold for the same price a paid 2yrs ago! Nice!

I knew what i wanted as a project car. An old mustang! It was not my first mustang, when i was 21 years old i bought a 1988 lx that was originally a 2.3 but swapped with a 5.0, and swapped with a 8.8 rear diff and 5 lug conversion.

Here it is

20141020_150703.jpg

I had it for 1 summer and sold it the next year, i had fun with it but eventually sold it because i was looking to buy my first house!

Fast foward 2023, after i sold my bike i went on marketplace and starded looking for a used lx. But of course the price of those had skyrocketed since then. Here in quebec if you want a clean one its going to be north of 15k cad and at that price there is a lot of work to do on it! And its a 160k miles+ car at that price.

I then starded looking at sn95 one, more the 94-95 because of the good old 302.

On the 3rd weekend of september i went on and did a total of 800 miles and went to see 3 hardtop sn95. That were all in the 5-6k cad$ area. No need to say that at those price they were all in need of a new paint, 2 out of 3 had rust holes on the driver side floor, lets just say that i was in for a bigger project than i wanted. And if i add up all the cost just to make it looks good, it does not make any sens.

On the sunday morning my girlfriend asked my why i absolutely want a hardtop, and for me it was just the only option, i did not even consider the convertible because i always tought that they were less attractive.

And on this sunday, one add came up on marketplace. This was the thumbnail.

Screenshot_20231009_203841_Messenger.jpg

The car was described as a 2nd owner, 80k miles, mostly original except for cobra wheels and a bbk cold air intake. I knew that if i wanted more for my money i got to dig a little more in my pocket for the mustang budget! So i said to my girlfriend on sunday night that i was going to see another potential mustang, but i didn't said to her that it was a convertible.

It was like an hour and a half away. The guy gave my his shop adress so we meet up, and as soon as i saw the car i knew that i would buy it. It was so clean, and drives wery well! He was not really flexible on the price bit i offered him 9k cad, so like 6.5k usd and he accepted. His wife was with him and they were both really invested in the sale, she wanted to make sure it will be garage kept, not winter driven, you know just taken care of like it should!

My girlfriend was pretty happy when we went to took possesion of it! The last owner even put a car cover on it and we did a "reveal" for my gf! Was a pretty cool night!

So here it is in all its glory!

20231012_144800.jpg
20231012_144813.jpg
20231012_144853.jpg
20231119_150551.jpg

Overall A pretty clean car! A/c is really cold, mach 460 radio works amazing and i think ill keep it like that! Love the 90's look of it. And i gotta say that the first time we went on for a ride with the top down, it was just amazing! I really loved it!

For now the car is parked in my garage for the winter, and i've already bought a ton of parts because like i said its pretty much stock and a lot of parts are original too, like the suspension, bushing..etc

So as of today i have:

Flowmaster american thunder catback
Bbk shorty ceramic coated header
4 kyb excel-g shock
Kyb quad shock
Eibach pro kit drop spring for convertible
Exedy clutch kit
Rear main seal
Pilot bearing
Msd distributor cap
Prothane front and back spring isolator
O2 sensor
waterpump + temp sender
Motorcraft upper and lower rad hose
Thermostat.

so a handful of parts to install this winter! I will do another post for the progress because this one is starting to get a little long!

Frank.

Last edited:

rio_snek

Reaction score
Looks like you've got yourself a really clean template to start with. Nice work!

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
So the first thing i did with the mustang was to replace the ignition switch because the door chime was always on even with no key in it. So i ordrered a new ig switch, and looked a a tutorial on youtube, went ahead and disconnected the battery and started rempving the old one and switched with the new one.

Now when i went ahead and plugged back my battery the car aftermarket alarm went on and i could not stop it. The previous owner gave me 2 sets of key with a sketchy looking keyfob for the alarm and of course it didnt work.
So i went ahead and remove all of the car alarm component, i'm pretty sure it was installed back in 95 by someone that does not know how to properly work with car wires. Everything was cut and spliced with electrical tape in a really messy way.

Here is everything i removed the first day.
20231020_200839.jpg

I had to buy a new ignition switch wire connector because the old one was all cracked. I reconnected everything, put heat shrink everywhere and the car started right up after!

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
Looks like you've got yourself a really clean template to start with. Nice work!
Thanks! It just made more sense to do this instead of buying a 5-6k one and have to put like 5-6k for a complete paint, rust repair, bodywork.

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
Next was the exhaust time!

I started by removing the catback and to my surprise it has cherrybomb muffler on it!

20231117_193410.jpg

Had to cut the before the flange becausd the bolts were all rusted out.

20231117_163539.jpg

Next midpipe was out, had to break 3 out of 4 headers to h pipe bolt with a breaker bar! After that i went ahead and use heat to remove the old cat back flange bolt, also cleaned a little bit the flange with a wire wheel on a drill!

20231117_193350.jpg

20231119_133106.jpg
20231119_135321.jpg

Next job is going to be the header! And man i was afraid to break a headers bolt! So in total i soaked them all 3 times during the day in liquid wrench. Next day i went on and out of the 16 headers bolts, 16 of them came out without any hassle! Win!
20231118_150443.jpg
20231118_160741.jpg

Always amazed me how they are bent from factory with some dent in it!. I only had to cut the egr tube, bbk also provided a new one in the kit.

I then cleaned all the gasket with a razor knife and a scotch brite.

Before
20231119_095755.jpg
After
20231119_101037.jpg

Also removed all the smog pump, smug pump tube to exhaust, crossover tube behind head.

Next post header install! With a little surprise from bbk qc.....

Attachments

• 20231119_135321.jpg
    20231119_135321.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
I choose a remflex gasket kit because everyone seems to say that bbk gasket are garbage.

So passenger side header was pretty easy, only had to remove the egr, clamped it in a vice and use heat to remove the remaining egr tube nut.

20231119_115021.jpg

Its touching the a/c line so ill have to move it a little bit. Im pretty sure i can move it up an inch or 2 and move the bracket around.

20231119_153121.jpg

Driver side header was another story, removing it was easy by under the car. And was not able to put the bbk one from under because of the sreering shaft. So i loosen the ac line retaining bracket on the ignition coil, bent the dipstick tube a little and it went right in, i was surprised to be honest!

20231119_150359.jpg

Next the oil dipstick bracket need a place to stay so i used an old ford stud and nut and bent the bracket a little and voila!

20231119_153010.jpg

After that i went under the car and realised that the header is touching the back of the engine where the transmission bellhousing is bolted....nice....
20231123_164035.jpg

There is like 1/8 inch between the header curved flange and the engine! No way the h pipe flange will bolt up right.

I have another header set coming next week. Will see how its going to be.

Here is what i came up for the smog tube down at the midpipe, don't know if it will leak yet lol.

20231119_140707.jpg

I crimped the end of it in a vice, fold it on itself and crimped it again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
Today i was able to work on the car and it was a pretty good day!

I started by removing the driveshaft
20231202_115107.jpg

After that i loosen all the bolt for the transmission to bellhousing and the transmission crossmember. And just like that it was out of the car.

20231202_130055.jpg

To be honest it wasn't as hard as i taught. I checked out a couple of youtube video before that and they were really helpful. And since the t5 can be remove before the bellhousing its not that hard alone under the car!

After that the bellhousing went out

20231202_143358.jpg

Pretty sure that this is the original clutch. The friction point was really high even with the clutch pedal adjusted by pulling it up. Maybe the cable was a little bit streched also.

After that i was able to remove the pressure plate/clutch disk/flywheel and now i have a clear view on the rear main seal that was leaking of course!

20231202_144311.jpg

And while i'm here i think ill plug the 2 smog tube holes on the back of the head with some 5/8-11 bolt.

20231202_144356.jpg

From what i read online, the hole in the head is a 5/8-11 female thread. Can i just put a 3/4 or 1" bolt with thread sealer in there?

And does the smaller threaded hole that was bolting the smog tube to the head needs to be sealed also, or its just threaded on the outside of the head and does not enter it?

Frank.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Some ultra copper hi temp rtv is what I usually use

S.O.B.

Reaction score
Thanks for All the pictures on the BBK headers. My daughter & myself have been re-doing her 95GT Vert that We gave her for HS graduation back in 2000. Headers are on our list of things left to replace.

Ronnied

Reaction score
Super clean ride. I have 2 , actually 3 now. A 94 vert, 95 vert and a new edge HT. The white 94 sat for 11 years before I recovered her, actually ran great after fresh tank, pump hose and oil change. I changed the original 302 and used a 96 Explorer early HO. Small cam, 70mm tb, bbk shorties, 3 step ecu and a good clean. Fun car but it's an auto so strictly a driver. The green 95 was bumped in the front. Car was stored for years and when brought out given to the guys daughter to drive and someone pulled out in front of her. Car was too nice to junk, only has 70k original miles and I have 99% of the parts to fix it. Just waiting on the top now. Great find, enjoy it.Resized_20220720_203811(6).jpegResized_20220720_203757(6).jpegResized_20230926_181722.jpegResized_20231202_144443.jpeg

ctandc

Reaction score
Today i was able to work on the car and it was a pretty good day!

I started by removing the driveshaft
View attachment 30534

After that i loosen all the bolt for the transmission to bellhousing and the transmission crossmember. And just like that it was out of the car.

View attachment 30535

To be honest it wasn't as hard as i taught. I checked out a couple of youtube video before that and they were really helpful. And since the t5 can be remove before the bellhousing its not that hard alone under the car!

After that the bellhousing went out

View attachment 30536

Pretty sure that this is the original clutch. The friction point was really high even with the clutch pedal adjusted by pulling it up. Maybe the cable was a little bit streched also.

After that i was able to remove the pressure plate/clutch disk/flywheel and now i have a clear view on the rear main seal that was leaking of course!

View attachment 30537

And while i'm here i think ill plug the 2 smog tube holes on the back of the head with some 5/8-11 bolt.

View attachment 30538

From what i read online, the hole in the head is a 5/8-11 female thread. Can i just put a 3/4 or 1" bolt with thread sealer in there?

And does the smaller threaded hole that was bolting the smog tube to the head needs to be sealed also, or its just threaded on the outside of the head and does not enter it?

Frank.
Just the smog hole needs to be plugged. 5/8-11 is correct BUT the threads will likely be messed up. Get a 5/8-11 tap or just do what I've done in the past and make your own thread cleaner. Get a longer 5/8-11 Grade 8 bolt from the local hardware store. Cut some slots in it as shown - thread it in, thread it back out - rinse repeat. It'll clean the threads up.

Then just get a 5/8 -11 pipe plug with an allen head - I normally add some teflon thread sealant - but they will work dry just fine if you make sure the threads are solid

homemade tap.jpeg

thermactor plug.jpeg

thermactor plug installed.jpeg

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
Super clean ride. I have 2 , actually 3 now. A 94 vert, 95 vert and a new edge HT. The white 94 sat for 11 years before I recovered her, actually ran great after fresh tank, pump hose and oil change. I changed the original 302 and used a 96 Explorer early HO. Small cam, 70mm tb, bbk shorties, 3 step ecu and a good clean. Fun car but it's an auto so strictly a driver. The green 95 was bumped in the front. Car was stored for years and when brought out given to the guys daughter to drive and someone pulled out in front of her. Car was too nice to junk, only has 70k original miles and I have 99% of the parts to fix it. Just waiting on the top now. Great find, enjoy it.View attachment 30564View attachment 30565View attachment 30569View attachment 30568
Thanks a lot! That white 94 looks really good !

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
I got my 2nd set of header from bbk and from the first look, the driver side header looks correct. See how its curving to the right at the end, i think this is how it should look. Ill try to install it this week.

20231205_183340.jpg

Slice

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Frank, i'm 30yr old and live in quebec, Canada. I'm an electrician as my day job since i'm 18. Have always loved cars and had over 25 cars in my 20's. But now i'm settled down, i have a house, garage and have the same daily driver since 2016. A 2016 vw golf 1.8t.

Last summer i had a motorcycle, a 2012 kawasaki vaquero which was my 12th motorcycle, i have tried every kind of motorcycle, from dirtbike to race bike! But i like riding with my girlfriend and bought a nice 1700cc cruiser and had it for 2 years. But the vaquero was missing something which was the need to wrench on it. The bike was in perfect condition so i had nothing to do with it. Sure you can put a set of aftermarket exhaust but its like a 2hrs job and its done! I was missing the get your hands dirty side!

So i decided to sell the bike in september and i was actually suprised that it sold in september because in quebec we have a lot of snow in the winter and we store our bike in the winter! But it sold for the same price a paid 2yrs ago! Nice!

I knew what i wanted as a project car. An old mustang! It was not my first mustang, when i was 21 years old i bought a 1988 lx that was originally a 2.3 but swapped with a 5.0, and swapped with a 8.8 rear diff and 5 lug conversion.

Here it is

View attachment 30432

I had it for 1 summer and sold it the next year, i had fun with it but eventually sold it because i was looking to buy my first house!

Fast foward 2023, after i sold my bike i went on marketplace and starded looking for a used lx. But of course the price of those had skyrocketed since then. Here in quebec if you want a clean one its going to be north of 15k cad and at that price there is a lot of work to do on it! And its a 160k miles+ car at that price.

I then starded looking at sn95 one, more the 94-95 because of the good old 302.

On the 3rd weekend of september i went on and did a total of 800 miles and went to see 3 hardtop sn95. That were all in the 5-6k cad$ area. No need to say that at those price they were all in need of a new paint, 2 out of 3 had rust holes on the driver side floor, lets just say that i was in for a bigger project than i wanted. And if i add up all the cost just to make it looks good, it does not make any sens.

On the sunday morning my girlfriend asked my why i absolutely want a hardtop, and for me it was just the only option, i did not even consider the convertible because i always tought that they were less attractive.

And on this sunday, one add came up on marketplace. This was the thumbnail.

View attachment 30433

The car was described as a 2nd owner, 80k miles, mostly original except for cobra wheels and a bbk cold air intake. I knew that if i wanted more for my money i got to dig a little more in my pocket for the mustang budget! So i said to my girlfriend on sunday night that i was going to see another potential mustang, but i didn't said to her that it was a convertible.

It was like an hour and a half away. The guy gave my his shop adress so we meet up, and as soon as i saw the car i knew that i would buy it. It was so clean, and drives wery well! He was not really flexible on the price bit i offered him 9k cad, so like 6.5k usd and he accepted. His wife was with him and they were both really invested in the sale, she wanted to make sure it will be garage kept, not winter driven, you know just taken care of like it should!

My girlfriend was pretty happy when we went to took possesion of it! The last owner even put a car cover on it and we did a "reveal" for my gf! Was a pretty cool night!

So here it is in all its glory!

View attachment 30434
View attachment 30435
View attachment 30436
View attachment 30437

Overall A pretty clean car! A/c is really cold, mach 460 radio works amazing and i think ill keep it like that! Love the 90's look of it. And i gotta say that the first time we went on for a ride with the top down, it was just amazing! I really loved it!

For now the car is parked in my garage for the winter, and i've already bought a ton of parts because like i said its pretty much stock and a lot of parts are original too, like the suspension, bushing..etc

So as of today i have:

Flowmaster american thunder catback
Bbk shorty ceramic coated header
4 kyb excel-g shock
Kyb quad shock
Eibach pro kit drop spring for convertible
Exedy clutch kit
Rear main seal
Pilot bearing
Msd distributor cap
Prothane front and back spring isolator
O2 sensor
waterpump + temp sender
Motorcraft upper and lower rad hose
Thermostat.

so a handful of parts to install this winter! I will do another post for the progress because this one is starting to get a little long!

Frank.
Hi Frank. I in in Toronto Ontario and my story is very similar to yours. Previously had a new edge Mustang and probably also owned at least a dozen motorcycles. Still have my Harley Softail but I'm getting older and I find it's hard to handle these days. So anyway I have a 1996 GT convertible with the 4.6 L V8 but the engine bay looks almost exactly like yours. I have very little to do on mine, just want to replace the rusted gas tank straps and some tie rod ends and a few other minor things. The previous owner did the car up very nicely and he was an HVAC technician so he understood the importance of changing long-term fluids and things like that. Yours is black, mine is white.

Attachments

• 20230616_131855.jpg
    20230616_131855.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220321_143520.jpg
    20220321_143520.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
Just the smog hole needs to be plugged. 5/8-11 is correct BUT the threads will likely be messed up. Get a 5/8-11 tap or just do what I've done in the past and make your own thread cleaner. Get a longer 5/8-11 Grade 8 bolt from the local hardware store. Cut some slots in it as shown - thread it in, thread it back out - rinse repeat. It'll clean the threads up.

Then just get a 5/8 -11 pipe plug with an allen head - I normally add some teflon thread sealant - but they will work dry just fine if you make sure the threads are solid

View attachment 30572

View attachment 30573

View attachment 30574
Thanks for the tips on cleaning the thread !!

Slice

Reaction score
So the first thing i did with the mustang was to replace the ignition switch because the door chime was always on even with no key in it. So i ordrered a new ig switch, and looked a a tutorial on youtube, went ahead and disconnected the battery and started rempving the old one and switched with the new one.

Now when i went ahead and plugged back my battery the car aftermarket alarm went on and i could not stop it. The previous owner gave me 2 sets of key with a sketchy looking keyfob for the alarm and of course it didnt work.
So i went ahead and remove all of the car alarm component, i'm pretty sure it was installed back in 95 by someone that does not know how to properly work with car wires. Everything was cut and spliced with electrical tape in a really messy way.

Here is everything i removed the first day.
View attachment 30438

I had to buy a new ignition switch wire connector because the old one was all cracked. I reconnected everything, put heat shrink everywhere and the car started right up after!
That looks scary. Glad it worked out! Frank your write ups are very good, the photos are excellent, and your repair and modifications work appear to be well thought out. I wish I lived closer to you, I wish you were my next door neighbor so you could hold my hand for any improvements I'd like to do to my 1996 convertible!

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
I had some time to spend on the mustang last weekend and today also! I took the transmission, bellhousing, spacer plate outside and gave them a good clean, they turned out pretty good, they were caked in old oil and dust/grime

20231210_135847.jpg

20231216_120546.jpg

The spacer plate also got 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black paint after cleaning.

After that i went ahead and cleaned the 5/8 threaded hole where the smog tube was bolted.

Before

20231216_110419.jpg

After

20231216_110412.jpg

Thanks again for the tip Ctandc!!

Also, i don't know if its going to be a problem on the long run but i didn't find 5/8 set screw so i put some 5/8 bolt with thread sealant on it.

20231216_112014.jpg

After that i removed the old pilot bearing and rear main seal and replace them. Was a pretty easy job with a slide hammer with the pilot bearing attachement.

20231216_101232.jpg

cleaned up a little around also, and here is the final result.

20231216_104919.jpg

I then i stalled the flywheel with thread sealant on the bolt and torqued them. After that the new exedy clutch went in.

20231216_161123.jpg

Also installed a new clutch fork pivot ball and new ford racing throwout bearing.

20231216_163809.jpg

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
Also quick question, does anyone know the right way of the transmission wiring bracket? When i removed the transmission it was like that

20231202_135325.jpg

But i looks like it had a lot of tension on the wiring harness and today i tried it the other way around

20231216_174631.jpg

Seems to have a little less stress on it, also, the metal bracket near the reverse light switch goes to the bellhousing or transmission bolt? I forgot to take picture of it!

Thanks !

Frank.

Slice

Reaction score
One would think it should be like first pic - away from hot metal but I cannot say for sure. I have the 4.6 liter so it may be different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online