Spark plug replacement

Pallgor

Reaction score
96 GT 4.6 wanting to do spark plugs. How hard is it to do and about how long. Looks like a lot of stuff to remove

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
If it's anything like my 03, wasn't hard at all. I didn't remove anything but the COPs. I don't know about the 96 model.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
First remove the spark plug wire
if you have compressor with air blow gun blow out the dirt from spark plug holes
Then remove the spark plugs
Put anti seize on the new plug thread
Install plug one at a time

I take my time doing them

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
then sit and wonder in amazement at how the anti seize has managed to get on nearly every part of your body....

garrittpwl

Reaction score
First remove the spark plug wire
if you have compressor with air blow gun blow out the dirt from spark plug holes
Then remove the spark plugs
Put anti seize on the new plug thread
Install plug one at a time

I take my time doing them
Also do this with a cold engine and install the plugs with minimum torque requirements. Stripped heads come from over tightened plugs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am always paranoid about cross threading them on the start and hold them by the tip to try and get everything lined up... If it don't turn by hand you don't want more torque on it.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I am always paranoid about cross threading them on the start and hold them by the tip to try and get everything lined up... If it don't turn by hand you don't want more torque on it.

Little trick i do is to take a peice of rubber hose and fit that over the top of the spark plug. Helps lower the plug down and then you can spin it in by hand. If there's any resistance, the plug will stop spinning on the hose. Really helps with lining the plug up and avoiding cross threading.

I go snug with a 6" rachet and no more.

GTamas

Reaction score
I have a few beginner's questions.

Is cross-threading the spark plugs such a delicate issue with the iron heads of my car, too? Or is it more sensitive with the aluminium heads?
I replaced the spark plugs on my car like 15 years ago (at that point it was my mums car) and I don't know how careful I was with torquing.

This brings me to another question: do spark plugs age also while not running the car? 15 years is a long time, but the car ran in this period since then maybe 5-7k miles max. Shall I replace them already? Or you can tell it only by inspecting the plugs?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Iron heads are more forgiving. Install them by hand, thread down as far as you can by hand and then walk them snug with the rachet and then tighten.

The 5.0 heads have the plugs hanging off where they are easier to access vs the 4.6 which is recessed down in a bore. Easier to start the iron plug crooked in the aluminum head since you need an extension and just cross-thread. Always hand start ANY bolt by hand a few threads before putting a tool on it. Best practice overall.

OP
OP
P

Pallgor

Reaction score
I’m more concerned about the stuff on the top of the motor to take off and how long the job is going to take

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe shoot us some pics of what’s in the way, both sides.

Definitely worth your while to research the CORRECT, RECOMMENDED torque spec for your specific application. Make sure they’re each gapped to spec. Many plugs come “pre-gapped”, but double check for accuracy to be sure. Check the bottoms again in 500-1,000 miles, make sure they’re NOT burnt toast! And +1 on the anti-seize. A dab across the threads down one side will do it and yes, it magically gets everywhere. It remains an unsolved phenomenon!!

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Aluminum heads you need to pay attention when installing
With tighten and knowing that feel of oh shit I just crossthreded it

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What plugs are you going with?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea to initially thread them I always hold the tip of the electrode while I get it started. If it doesn't go in like that then it needs to be adjusted.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I’m more concerned about the stuff on the top of the motor to take off and how long the job is going to take

On a 2V it’s not bad at all. You just need to pull the spark plug boot (or the COP on the 99-04 cars) and the plugs are exposed

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
96 GT 4.6 wanting to do spark plugs. How hard is it to do and about how long. Looks like a lot of stuff to remove
Found you a perfect “how to” video on YouTube. Did a Search on “1996 Mustang 4.6 spark plug change” and a 7-8 minute video by RykerDude answers all your questions and walks you through it.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online