what steering rack would you put in your 98 Cobra?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That's not really true Chris. There were subtle differences between the years of the cobras, I would not call them all the same. If you look at the rack, there is DOT matrix lettering which identifies the rack to a specific model of a vehicle.

SPR-ZM 03-04 Cobra
SPR-ZK 02-04 GT&Mach
SPR-ZL 02-04 V6

SPR-VT 00 Cobra R
SPR-SJ 99-01 V8
SPR-SH 99-01 V6

SPR-RT 97-98 All
SPR-GY 94-96 All"

They all differ from each other very slightly in steering effort and feel, but to say that all new edge Cobra racks are the same, would be incorrect.

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
That's not really true Chris. There were subtle differences between the years of the cobras, I would not call them all the same. If you look at the rack, there is DOT matrix lettering which identifies the rack to a specific model of a vehicle.

^This man has his shitt together! lol

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
JeremyAlan said:
ReplicaR said:

^This man has his shitt together! lol

got dam.... lol. that mo fo is like a bottomless pit.

once again, i appologize. As many of us do, i get most of my information off the internet. I found a site with track times of a test 99 cobra before and after the ratio change, so i automatically assumed 99-04 was the same.

Many Thanks for clearing everything up ReplicaR. There's no question as to why you're the moderator. thats for sure. lol.

cntchds

Reaction score
So here's my stupid question of the day; can 94-95 cars not use the 96+ racks then? I am in the market for a new one since I was told that my inners need to be replaced, and I have a bit of slop in my steering. I was hoping to get something with at least a little more weight to the steering... Sorry to highjack, but you got help, and I still need it. :p

ReplicaR

Reaction score
People use new edge racks on fox bodies and pushrod SN95s all the time. I don't see how it could be a problem.

Edit: Also make sure that it's 100% rack that has play in it. I foolishly did a rack swap on my car, only to realize that swapping the rack did not get rid of the play. I looked at the steering shaft, and there was no play there either. Turned out that I had play where the steering shaft joint connected to the rack. I still have my original rack if you want to buy it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online