whats it take to paint a car in your garage?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
After a lot of thought and some research I have decided to paint my car myself when the time comes in this rebuild. I have done a lot of little pieces with good results from rattle cans so I think I have an understanding of all the prep that is needed, just need to transfer that to larger pieces now. I am Looking into a gun now, got the compressor already, and now I guess I am wondering about all the little pieces? Should I get some paper to do the masking or just stick to newspapers? I don't mind paying a little extra now and have heard problems with newspapers bleeding through... What about other prep materials I am not thinking of? Isn't there some kind of prep-spray/wipe that I should use to clean the car just prior to paint? Are there any videos that you can recommend to help?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd get paper rather than newspaper. Just easier to handle and you can rip off bigger sheets. Just saves you time in masking.

Make sure to clean your garage as much as possible and tarp everything off. Then make sure to water your floor. The water on the floor will reduce the dusk.

Theres a "wax remover" wipe you should do and a "final wipe" wipe. I don't know too much about the rest. My dad painted my car in the garage, I helped with all the prep but let him the painting. I remember some of the prep but not all.

Theres tack clothes and all that stuff too.

Whippy will probably be able to give you the best advice...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I figured the paper would be a safe investment just to ensure it doesn't get anywhere it doesn't belong.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I'm subscribing because I'd like to maybe try the same thing. I'd ask [MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] for advice here.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I Thought about ordering a video or two too see if maybe there was something on there that would help. I saw that I think kevin that does the painting on the powerblock show has some videos out but not sure if its going to show much more then what he has shown on standard tv as I don't miss many of those. Hopefully it will come out nice and I can do a nice write-up/how-too here complete with videos and such. I have been planning a trip to an automotive paint supply place and would go today if they were open to start stocking up.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Sounds good Scott, cant wait to see. I'm gonna start small by prepping my car for paint (within my abilities) and shooting a nice white primer.

Reaction score
Hey ttocs there is a website called collisionBlast.com that has painting videos and www.diy-car-painting.com that has videos for the diy painters. I have watched them plenty of times, if you go to youtube and put in collision blast it will pop up with all the videos for prep and all the way to wet sanding and color sanding.

188slo50

Reaction score
Ive done probally 10 full cars and alot of it is keeping the area clean from dust and have your fans running all the time to keep dust rom laying down. I use a cheap pump sprayer to mist the floor down before the car goes in and before each new stage. I use Pivco.net for all my tape,sandpaper and so on. Go to lowes to get your paper Its in the paint section and 1/2 the price of most stores, You can use news paper do do priming but do about 5 pages thick to prevent bleed thru..The stuff you want to use to wipe the car down is called "prep all" or wax n grease remover autozone and such sell it. The big trick to doing all overs is keeping your surface wet for each coat, depending on the color you can do it in several stages. For a good starter gun Summit has a few cheap ones if your going to do it one time but if you think you may do a few then try Starterline thee a entry level Devilibis brand. Pm me if you got any questions and heres my car I did a few months ago.

DSC02540_zpsa045a251.jpg

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
Make sure your compressor is up to the task, i think a compressor with a 60 gal tank should be the minimum. There is nothing worse then running out of pressure when you need to continue painting. I find the ideal pressure for spraying from a gun is 45psi, we flow 150psi to all outlets and use adjustable valves. There are different nozzles for the guns, the primer flows a bit more (1.7), the paint and clear about the same (1.4)

consider a good fan to remove the fumes, there will be quite some. The wetting of the floor is great advice, depending the size of the location consider buying clear shower liners and make a makeshift booth that you can also spray down. The more surface you have that can catch dirt that is airborne the better. The ones from Wally World are about 2-3 bucks and you need about 8 at the most. Also a respirator is a great investment, the more adfordabel ones are found at lowes.

Hope this helps, remember, these are just some of our preferences.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I didnt read it all but best prep wipe after mask it off..... windex .... worked balls for us on all the cars we did at the shop...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Make sure your compressor is up to the task, i think a compressor with a 60 gal tank should be the minimum. There is nothing worse then running out of pressure when you need to continue painting. I find the ideal pressure for spraying from a gun is 45psi, we flow 150psi to all outlets and use adjustable valves. There are different nozzles for the guns, the primer flows a bit more (1.7), the paint and clear about the same (1.4)

consider a good fan to remove the fumes, there will be quite some. The wetting of the floor is great advice, depending the size of the location consider buying clear shower liners and make a makeshift booth that you can also spray down. The more surface you have that can catch dirt that is airborne the better. The ones from Wally World are about 2-3 bucks and you need about 8 at the most. Also a respirator is a great investment, the more adfordabel ones are found at lowes.

Hope this helps, remember, these are just some of our preferences.

Fumes. Interesting... I have a dog-door that goes out and I use that as a vent for the portable ac I use to cool the place maybe I can reverse the idea to exhaust the fumes. Otherwise there is attic space above it with ventilation that I might be able to set it up to blow in fresh from the dog door and vent up/out through the attic.... Idunno I would be using a resperator filter anyway I am religious about it already with all the allergies I have. Would a water-based paint cut down on the fume problems? From what I understand its just a slower dry-time and some slightly different learning from the regular paint. If I have no previous learnings/habits to forget while moving to water-based maybe its better just to go straight into water-based?

Ive done probally 10 full cars and alot of it is keeping the area clean from dust and have your fans running all the time to keep dust rom laying down. I use a cheap pump sprayer to mist the floor down before the car goes in and before each new stage. I use Pivco.net for all my tape,sandpaper and so on. Go to lowes to get your paper Its in the paint section and 1/2 the price of most stores, You can use news paper do do priming but do about 5 pages thick to prevent bleed thru..The stuff you want to use to wipe the car down is called "prep all" or wax n grease remover autozone and such sell it. The big trick to doing all overs is keeping your surface wet for each coat, depending on the color you can do it in several stages. For a good starter gun Summit has a few cheap ones if your going to do it one time but if you think you may do a few then try Starterline thee a entry level Devilibis brand. Pm me if you got any questions and heres my car I did a few months ago.

DSC02540_zpsa045a251.jpg
Funny you mention pivco their showroom is 20 mins away from me. Been planning a trip to there for a little while now and just have not gone. Earlier I was thinking that I wished I made it down there yesterday to get the filler so I could do some small areas today as they were closed for the holiday.

188slo50

Reaction score
Water based paint is whole different game, cause you solvents dont dry the paint air does so you need alot of it moving to work. They say water based colors are more pure in tones but I dont think there do it yourself friendly really.

I wish pivco was local cause it save me alot of money.lol

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Water based paint is whole different game, cause you solvents dont dry the paint air does so you need alot of it moving to work. They say water based colors are more pure in tones but I dont think there do it yourself friendly really.

I wish pivco was local cause it save me alot of money.lol

Definitly do not have access to a downdraft booth but I could set up some fans if that is all that is needed. Pivco has been at the same location now for almost 30 yrs now. Been at least 20 since I went there but hopefully tomorrow I will be familiar with them again.

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
I would not force air into the room, rather pull it out? Worst case scenario - how about a box fan in a window pulling air out?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I would not force air into the room, rather pull it out? Worst case scenario - how about a box fan in a window pulling air out?

This will pull the paint out too, so you tilt the air down, to a big water bucket, the paint hits the water sticks anddddd not on your neighbors house... :)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Our houses are not close enough together to worry about the overspray. I have a side door to the house(full size) and one of those pull-out ladder-thingys from the ceiling to get into the attic to work with for air. It would not be hard to build some boards to rest some box fans on with large home filters to either push or pull fresh air in/out depending on what would be best. I am open to suggestions and willing to do what is necessary to do a killer paint job as I know its mainly about the prep.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I could be wrong but if you have fans blowing out it's just going to pull dirty air in from somewhere else, assuming you don't make an airtight paint booth with a filter to pull in clean air.

This is totally doable though, but because of extra dust and what not you may find yourself doing a little extra sanding.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have used the same home filters used in heaters/ac systems either just stuck to the back of the box fan to filter stuff out and could do the same here in this case and put the filter on the intake.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
well I'm just thinking in an area like a garage if you put a fan in the door blowing out it's going to pull air in from anywhere it can throughout the garage, not really something you could filter. if you had another door open and put filters in that you may be onto something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shagg9

Members online