White's '95 GT "Unicorn"

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I have three weeks to finish this repair/revamp project to make the next race event. I’ve gathered most everything I can think of to do so. The trunk wiring is shaping up to be a nice, clean install and, hopefully, functions as intended.

IMG_5375.jpeg

The Cartek GT will power this distribution box sending power to the Holley, fuel pump relay and have room for anything deemed necessary to isolate. I’m going to construct a panel to bolt them to and secure it to the body. Not entirely sure how/where that will happen yet.

I’m also switching to a double DIN bezel. If Florida 5.0 doesn’t have anything I like, I’ll be making my own gauge/switch panel from either 1mm or 2mm carbon fiber sheet. This will probably be an April project.

Rough idea, not drawn to scale:

image.jpg

weendoggy

Reaction score
Just remember to change the foam in the tank often, it'll plug up a pump/filter in no time!

95opal

Reaction score
I have three weeks to finish this repair/revamp project to make the next race event. I’ve gathered most everything I can think of to do so. The trunk wiring is shaping up to be a nice, clean install and, hopefully, functions as intended.

View attachment 33083

The Cartek GT will power this distribution box sending power to the Holley, fuel pump relay and have room for anything deemed necessary to isolate. I’m going to construct a panel to bolt them to and secure it to the body. Not entirely sure how/where that will happen yet.

I’m also switching to a double DIN bezel. If Florida 5.0 doesn’t have anything I like, I’ll be making my own gauge/switch panel from either 1mm or 2mm carbon fiber sheet. This will probably be an April project.

Rough idea, not drawn to scale:

View attachment 33084

Should be enough room behind the the rear seat and trunk panel to mount it hidden and out of the way.
Mounted a bunch of stuff behind my rear seat delete. Just to give you an idea.
20230919_144706_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Should be enough room behind the the rear seat and trunk panel to mount it hidden and out of the way.
Mounted a bunch of stuff behind my rear seat delete. Just to give you an idea.
View attachment 33098

Looks good. I’m weighing my options for this install. Considering a similar setup that can be compact and secured easily.

IMG_5411.jpeg

weendoggy

Reaction score
??? 11" x 11" fuel cell ??? I'm just saying I agree you don't need the hydramat if you use a fuel cell with foam already.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
??? 11" x 11" fuel cell ??? I'm just saying I agree you don't need the hydramat if you use a fuel cell with foam already.

The fuel cell is rather large at (22 gallons) 25.5" x 17.125" x 13.75". It will require reworking the trunk floor around a chassis built to support it. I don’t necessarily need 22 gallons but I’ve long wanted to increase my fuel capacity.

The notion for the hydramat is in lieu of a surge tank as an additional means to fight starvation. I recognize the foam mitigates sloshing and spark control.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
The fuel cell is rather large at (22 gallons) 25.5" x 17.125" x 13.75". It will require reworking the trunk floor around a chassis built to support it. I don’t necessarily need 22 gallons but I’ve long wanted to increase my fuel capacity.

The notion for the hydramat is in lieu of a surge tank as an additional means to fight starvation. I recognize the foam mitigates sloshing and spark control.

Looking forward to the fuel cell install process I’ve also wanted to go up to a bigger tank in my car 18-20gallons but 22 is sounding pretty good right now .

GTamas

Reaction score
Wouldnt a tank located under the chassis be better for corner handling in autocross, as opposed to having it in the trunk? So the weight is located closer to the ground?

weendoggy

Reaction score

Yes, that's a chore. As you remember, I was also struggling with starvation (starting at 1/2 tank) and almost (keyword) installed the hydramat. However, I found another solution and to this day (knock on head) have yet to starve the engine on any corner, and have run it down to 3gal of fuel in the tank on several track days just to test.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Yes, that's a chore. As you remember, I was also struggling with starvation (starting at 1/2 tank) and almost (keyword) installed the hydramat. However, I found another solution and to this day (knock on head) have yet to starve the engine on any corner, and have run it down to 3gal of fuel in the tank on several track days just to test.

Yes and that’s a longer term project for that reason. Almost installed? Suppose I didn’t realize this. Oops.

IMG_5465.jpeg

Speaking of, I decided to install the new hanger and hydramat. It’s fighting me. Finally got the damn thing into the basket and was unable to seat the hanger. It’s too tall now.

IMG_5467.jpeg

My pump basket seems to differ and this will be fun. Without the strainer, it seems there isn’t much room below it. I’ll figure it out.

IMG_5468.jpeg

Secret fix? I’m about to read through your website again.

Edit:

Oh yeah. I remember reading about this and the subsequent testing. Unfortunately, our setups are totally different and I’m back to the drawing board. If I can get the Hydramat to work, I’ll just reinstall it with the supplied strainer and deal with it for a while.

Last edited:

weendoggy

Reaction score
Yes, now that I see you have the 'side mounted' pump setup, it is a different animal. I would think you're going to get creative and remove some of the built in sump to fit the hydramat. I use that same tank in my Cobra and never had an issue with starvation.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Yes, now that I see you have the 'side mounted' pump setup, it is a different animal. I would think you're going to get creative and remove some of the built in sump to fit the hydramat. I use that same tank in my Cobra and never had an issue with starvation.

When my starvation event occurred, it was immediately after several quick direction changes, a hard brake zone that lead into a tight, left hand sweeping turn and then hard acceleration.

…with about a 1/4 tank of fuel lol

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Speaking of starvation and to anyone else that does corner corner racing......get the extra capacity oil pan! Dont starve the engine of oil on them hard turns!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online

No members online now.