Wiring question (Green/Orange wire and White wire)

Vnom

Reaction score
Hello! I'm in the midst of completing an engine swap, putting a '96 mustang v6 into a '95 v6 car, and i'm still using the '95 engine wiring harness with a '96 battery harness. I need help identifying some wires and where they belong, it's a green wire with an orange stripe located on the driver side firewall with a gray connector, and a white wire located on the passenger side with a black connector. I believe these wires being unplugged may be the cause of my issues with even getting it to turn over. I'm also wondering if the 95' engine harness is even compatible with the '96 battery harness? It's all I had and I figure it may be the culprit if the pin layout is different between the two. Thanks

Attachments

• 16996560214435431147979607329874.jpg
    16996560214435431147979607329874.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 16996560579309143592994149952305.jpg
    16996560579309143592994149952305.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
V

Vnom

Reaction score
you would need the right harness
check with MPS ask for LEON 770-725-5700
Got a '95 harness and tried it. Nothing. Turns out my starter was bad so I also replaced that and nothing happened, bypassed the neutral safety switch incase that was it and also nothing. Getting pretty infuriating at this point because I plugged in everything and checked it over like 5 times, and yet I still have this no crank and no start issue. I hope it's not an ECU thing because I did install one of those SCT tuner chips, but even when I take it out there's nothing so.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Check the very front wires on the aprin top side just in front of battery
There is also a barrle connection like a fuse holder but is not a fuse
There also should be another ground cable to the block

OP
OP
V

Vnom

Reaction score
Check the very front wires on the aprin top side just in front of battery
There is also a barrle connection like a fuse holder but is not a fuse
There also should be another ground cable to the block
I don't see the ground cable, on my car when I took the engine out there were some ground-looking cables bolted down to the engine mount but they were a dead end, the wires just went to nowhere so I took them off. I figured the metal bracket that holds the battery harness in was the ground.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
have we checked the inertia switch in the trunk? Is it cranking and not starting, or not cranking?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The ones I'm talking about are on the front driver aprin
They are a 8mm screw with wires on them

And yes make sure ground is present to block to battery

OP
OP
V

Vnom

Reaction score
have we checked the inertia switch in the trunk? Is it cranking and not starting, or not cranking?
Inertia switch is good, it's not cranking at all.
The ones I'm talking about are on the front driver aprin
They are a 8mm screw with wires on them

And yes make sure ground is present to block to battery
Already checked those and grinded the little bit of dirt there was down. I'm really just not sure what it could be it feels like i've checked everything.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
if you take a reading of the small post on starter
how many volts are getting when starting

OP
OP
V

Vnom

Reaction score
if you take a reading of the small post on starter
how many volts are getting when starting
Haven't checked the volts on the small starter post when starting yet, i'd assume zero because no click. Just to help in the diagnosis process i've done the following tests already:

-Battery is fully charged

-Starter Relay is good and Ignition Switch fuses are good

-Car does not have an alarm system/any security system which would prevent it from starting

-Posi Terminal from Battery to Starter gets zero resistance with the multimeter

-Neg Terminal from Battery to Starter gets zero resistance with the multimeter

-Posi Terminal from starter gets a constant 12.82 volts with the multimeter hooked up to a ground

-Engine is able to turn over by hand and the flywheel turns with it

-Starter was tested multiple times by auto parts store and whirred up just fine

-When I touch the starter signal connector to the posi battery terminal with speaker wire, I can get the bendex switch clicks but starter does not whir up

-When I touch the starter signal connector to the posi starter terminal with a screwdriver (not the battery terminal but the one connected to the starter), I can get the bendex switch to click one time but afterwards the car acts like it has no power and I have to reattach the negative battery terminal to get it to have power again

-I have swapped battery harnesses from my '96 harness back to my '95 harness then back to my '96 harness and there was no difference in how the car acted

-The negative and positive connectors on the starter are not mixed up as I have tried putting the connectors both ways and only one way does the car act like it has power

-The grounds to chassis are fine, I realized I may have forgotten some of the grounds so I started hooking up ground straps left and right to various parts of the car engine to car chassis and whatnot, made no difference.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you said the ignition fuse is good. Does that mean you checked one fuse, the one the manual seemed to say would be the one to check? If this is the case go get on your back and pull/inspect EVERY fuse in the car both under the dash and both the big and little under the hood. It sounds like a lot of work but I swear it takes half the time of going through the manual and after checking them all we can be sure they are all good. It is amazing how often the fuse you find blown seems to have nothing to do with the problem at hand.

OP
OP
V

Vnom

Reaction score
you said the ignition fuse is good. Does that mean you checked one fuse, the one the manual seemed to say would be the one to check? If this is the case go get on your back and pull/inspect EVERY fuse in the car both under the dash and both the big and little under the hood. It sounds like a lot of work but I swear it takes half the time of going through the manual and after checking them all we can be sure they are all good. It is amazing how often the fuse you find blown seems to have nothing to do with the problem at hand.
I checked all the fuses under the hood, but none under the dash yet. I'll try and give that a shot

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I'm not looking for resistance

I need to know how many volts on the small wire on the starter show when the key is turnd on to start
That is your ignition wire to start

OP
OP
V

Vnom

Reaction score
I'm not looking for resistance

I need to know how many volts on the small wire on the starter show when the key is turnd on to start
That is your ignition wire to start
I'll check that here in a bit, need to wait for someone else to get here so they can start it while i check.

OP
OP
V

Vnom

Reaction score
Dash fuses are good, double checked the under-the-hood fuses and relay's just to be sure and they're all good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online