04 crown vic 4.6 in 98

98saleen88

Reaction score
heys guys, yesterday my 2v just went, and my friend has a good low miled 4.6 out of a 2004 crown vic, is this a simple drop in or a difficult project, i just need a quick replacement motor as my normal 4.6 stroker project is being finished...thanks guys, i need responses asap...

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Yes, it will work fine, may have to swap things off your old one onto the new one to fit the older chassis and harness but it is a PI engine and will be an increase in power if your old one was an npi. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

98saleen88

Reaction score
thank you very much, has anyone here done a swap like this before..

NXcoupe

Reaction score
You'll need to drill a hole for the second water temp sensor in the aluminum part of the intake unless it is there and plugged, I do remember that.

project97

Reaction score
just finished my swap

things your gonna need off your old motor

headers
intake plenum/ throttle body
pilot bearing if your car is 5spd
motor mounts
im pretty sure you can use you old (aluminum part of the intake ) on the pi intake so you dont have to drill it for temp sensor
flywheel -clutch

you reuse your old fuel rail which you can leave connected and to the side and your a/c pump you can un bolt from the motor and leave to the side
also ruse your old harness and computer
its an easy swap

ThePope

Reaction score
project97 said:
just finished my swap

things your gonna need off your old motor

headers
intake plenum/ throttle body
pilot bearing if your car is 5spd
motor mounts
im pretty sure you can use you old (aluminum part of the intake ) on the pi intake so you dont have to drill it for temp sensor
flywheel -clutch

you reuse your old fuel rail which you can leave connected and to the side and your a/c pump you can un bolt from the motor and leave to the side
also ruse your old harness and computer
its an easy swap

He is also gonna need to use his timing cover from his bad engine. Also the 04 4.6 is a 8 bolt crank. His car is a 6 bolt. Your gonna need a new flywheel and a clutch.

SnakedMark8

Reaction score
Not so, none of the Panther platforms (Crown Vic, Town Cars) ever came with 8 bolt cranks. Only the Mustang had that for those couple years. So he's good with a six bolt. As for the aluminum coolant cross over, yes they are the exact same part for both the updated non PI and the PI intakes.

ThePope

Reaction score
SnakedMark8 said:
Not so, none of the Panther platforms (Crown Vic, Town Cars) ever came with 8 bolt cranks. Only the Mustang had that for those couple years. So he's good with a six bolt. As for the aluminum coolant cross over, yes they are the exact same part for both the updated non PI and the PI intakes.

I learned something new. Thanks man. lol

SnakedMark8

Reaction score
Vermilion said:
if its a windsor cast it MAY have a 8 bolt crank. romeo had 6 bolts.

That would be true except that all Panther platforms got Romeo engines. They never swapped around engine suppliers between the two plants like they did with the Mustang. So that made the engine line very consistant for these.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shagg9

Members online