04 mach in 96 gt

ThatKids96GT

Reaction score
just bought an 04 mach 1 motor and plan on dropping it into my 96 gt....what else am i gunna need for the swap i.e. tranny, ecu, ps or pb lines, mounts and all that shit or will the motor be a straight swap?

thanks! -matt

Shame302

Reaction score
Well, I had a ton of links and info on that swap (4V into a 96-98) but Iv'e lost it all. It's one of the easier swaps with a 96-98 cobra or mark viii 4 valve so i would have to assume the Mach 1 swap wouldn't be too bad, particularly so if you backwards-convert the engine to coil packs instead of coil on plug. I guess the guys that swap 4 valves in extend a few connectors, have the car tuned and are good to go. I guess it depends on how you want to execute the swap.

ModularFords is a great source for swap info.

My swap was a little more plug and play because everything was for a 99-04 car. Very easy swap.

If you want too keep coil on plug and the Mach 1 electronics your going to need pretty much everything. Your T45 will work but i would upgrade the clutch to an 03-04 cobra setup along with the aluminum flywheel. If the engine didn't come with a flywheel you will need one of those to. If the engine was out of an auto you can use a GT flywheel, if it was from a manual car you need a cobra/mach flywheel.

If your car doesn't have hydroboost brakes you can probably count on swapping in hydroboost.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
yea your going to need ALOT its almost easier to get the whole car as a wreck and do a swap like that. your going to need fuel system...remember retunstyle vs returnless, also your going to have fun with pats i think as well....

Shame302

Reaction score
Depends on how he wants to execute the swap. He can run his return style setup on the mach engine provided he can find fuel rails that work. PATS shouldn't be an issue if he keeps his electronics and ignition and tunes for the 4valve rather than do a complete oem type swap. All i can say is do uber amounts of research and cover your bases.

Personally, Id swap everything over.

OP
OP
T

ThatKids96GT

Reaction score
alright well it might end up being more work then i want...as much as id love to do it i can also get my hands on a 5.4 and t-56 pretty cheap

Shame302

Reaction score
You think putting a 5.4 in will be easier? I guess if your going to mess with a sohc 5.4 it will be easy.

Anyway, if you decide to sell off the mach 1 engine let me know along with its details and how much.....

OP
OP
T

ThatKids96GT

Reaction score
yes i mean a 5.4 sohc...i would love to do the mach 1 but it might be a little over my head and a bit pricey

Shame302

Reaction score
shouldn't be any more pricey then dropping in a 5.4 sohc, the mach engine is a better engine plus you already have it....

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
ThatKids96GT said:
yes i mean a 5.4 sohc...i would love to do the mach 1 but it might be a little over my head and a bit pricey

Dont put a 4v in a 2v car..... be cool put a 5.4 and love torque :)

Shame302

Reaction score
Or quit messing around and put a 5.4 DOHC in there. sohc na 5.4 = meh.

IMHO, regarding stock engines, 5.4DOHC>4.6DOHC>5.4SOHC>4.6SOHC

OP
OP
T

ThatKids96GT

Reaction score
woah lol who said the 5.4 was gunna be n/a? what ever motor goes in it its getting a blower :thumbsup:

Marvin97

Reaction score
Ok here's the basics from my 01 cobra swap, they should be pretty similar:
Keep the Coil pack setup
Keep the gt harness
You'll need 96-98 cobra fuel rails or aftermarket to work with your stock fuel setup
you'll need 96-98 cobra plug wires
you'll need Mach1 or cobra throttle and cruise cables

There is more to this swap, if you're seriously interested in it pm me and i'll go into more detail. Its not as complicated as it sounds.

Shame302

Reaction score
woah lol who said the 5.4 was gunna be n/a? what ever motor goes in it its getting a blower thumbsup
Personally i would put the cost into a forged 4.6 short block then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online