1996 with irratic oil pressure

theguyulove2hate

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got a 1996 mustang with a 3.8 and I'm having an issue with irratic oil pressure. When the car is cold the oil pressure with go up to the normal range and stay there for about 5 to 10 minutes. Once it has warmed up the gauge will start to bounce around all over the place as I'm slowing down, and at a stop. After about 15 minutes it will bounce between 0 and the "R" on the gauge. I just put the car into neutral as I'm slowing down and at stop lights. It helps, but the oil pressure still bounces around. I have noticed that it happens with the engine RPM's. If I give the car some gas (in or out or gear) the oil pressure will return to normal.

When I change the oil it is better. It takes longer for it to start fluctuating. Thinking that it may be the oil pump I changed it out. But, i didn't not change the oil pressure spring thing in the front cover.

I have looked all over the internet trying to find an answer to this problem. The only things that I can think of are the oil pressure valve (spring thing in the front cover), a blocked oil pick up, or the motor is just worn out.

I was hoping someone had some experience with this issue and could give me some ideas.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I went through this with a 4.2l. Pull that front cover off and clean it real good, and change that pressure regulator spring out. And for good measure, change out the pressure sender.

OP
OP
T

theguyulove2hate

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you!

I forgot to mention that I did let it sit at idle and heard the lifters. That was before I changed the oil pump.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So you actually are losing oil pressure. Unfortunately, depending on how long the pressure has been run low like that, you might be looking at an overhaul due to the bearings being worn and clearances getting opened up.

Reaction score
My 3.8 Mustang was doing the same thing. I took the wire from the sender off, scraped it with my knife until the copper wire shone, put a new end on and screwed it back on and the guage ran normal . However, if you hear your lifter clacking that sounds like little oil is getting to them. Now I don't believe in snake oil but, there are some products out there that I have used in the past that can unclog and lube up sticky lifters etc. You say the pressure drops when the engine has run for a while , maybe a can of STP would thicken your oil . You didn't say what weight of oil you are running , again could be a factor. Let us know how this turns out for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online