1997 Mustang GT misfire

Eljr47

Reaction score
Hi there I recently picked up a 97 GT it was treating me very good until a few weeks ago. It has a rough idle and stutters out during heavy load or when I’m turning too sharp and press the gas pedal it sounds like it wants to die. I’ve been chasing this misfire “P0306” Cylinder 6. I’ve replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plug wires, coil packs, Camshaft sensor, Crankshaft sensor. This is driving me insane. Any recommendations or anyone have this issue before please help me out thank you!

07GtS197

Reaction score
Capacitors. They tend to leak due to age. That was my next suggestion but start with the easy stuff first.

BHernandez

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 98. Turned out to be a bad injector. It wouldn't hurt to test your coil packs too.

BHernandez

Reaction score
Just because you put new coil packs in, doesn't mean that they're getting proper signal from the computer. That's what they're talking about with the capacitors. It's an easy voltage/resistance check on the plug that feeds the coil packs. Just make sure your getting a consistent signal.

BHernandez

Reaction score
You may also want to check the computer and make sure no one before you has changed your PCM with an after-market "performance-chip".

Monday

Reaction score
" misfire “P0306” ... I’ve replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plug wires, coil packs, Camshaft sensor, Crankshaft sensor ... anyone have this issue before ... "
I have had this issue before. I have replaced all that, and a few more things like MAF; that resistor thingy in the passenger fender; remade a bunch of solderless connections blah blah blah.

I replaced the capacitors myself - touchy job those connections on the board - BE VERY CAREFUL!! if you try it yourself, or getting a friend with electrics experience.

Fixed it as fast a it took the solder to cool :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online