2004 crankshaft

laga7788

Reaction score
I’m in a unique situation. I’m in the process of building a 2005 Mustang Gt 4.6 using forged rods and pistons. It is supercharged with an Edelbrock E-Force. I’m at the limits of the rods (500+ RWHP & 450 ft/Tq.

The reason I’m here is because during tear down of the engine, we found a rear main seal repair sleeve on the crankshaft of an engine that’s never been apart. It was installed at the factory. The crankshaft used in the SN95 has a slightly smaller snout at the rear seal than the S197. Since my car was made in 03/05, it appears they used a leftover 2004 crankshaft with a 2005 rear seal and the sleeve to make up the difference.

I was planning on keeping the stock crank in my build because I’m not going to exceed 600RWHP. This has been done many times with the S197.

After hours of searching, I haven’t found any truly reliable information on the limits of the 2004 crankshaft, or if there is any difference between the two years other than the rear seal. Can you guys offer any info? Thanks.
P.S. Ford must have had a lot of leftover parts at the time because I’ve run into this on other parts of the car. The front wheel spindles, for example.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Rpm is the real killer of cranks. I’ve read 800 or so hp is the limit but yeah I’ve never seen anyone snap a crank. For peace of mind you could go with a cobra crank. But imo that’s a little overkill.

joe65

Reaction score
i've also read often that a cast stock 4.6 crank is pretty damn hard to break with hp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online