3.90s question

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
is their a brand that makes 3.90s besides motive?

because thats the gear i want, but people say they "whine"

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I beleive Pro 5.0 offer's it as well, but it was never an 8.8 factory ratio, so you're limited.

My Motive 4.10's and 4.30's never whined. However alot of shops throw them in there with the stock shims and hope they are close enough, and that's how they whine.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You mean an install kit, it depnds on which one. Again, alot of shops, dont even use the shims, and don't know how, because 80% of the time, you can do that and get away with no noise.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
I have Motive 4.10's. No whine :coolsmiley:

BTW: Motive makes the FRPP gears now.

But they are designed different, FRPP have more of an arch.

I know of a few people with Motive gears, and none whine. Like said above its all in the installer.

LI98GT

Reaction score
Willis_98GT said:
what is your 5th at sevendy? and 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th redline speeds?

Sorry I haven't paid that close attention. Who redlines in all gears and looks down while doing so?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
LI98GT said:
Willis_98GT said:
what is your 5th at sevendy? and 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th redline speeds?

Sorry I haven't paid that close attention. Who redlines in all gears?

Lol, who holds it there long enough to make a little note of it?

There are gear calculators all over google if you really want to find out that info though.

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
i just don't want 4.10. everyone i race around has 4.10. my goal was just not to be another "mustang" going down the road.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Willis_98GT said:
i just don't want 4.10. everyone i race around has 4.10. my goal was just not to be another "mustang" going down the road.

So you're going to do something weird just because it's "different" being different is cliched, first of all. And secondly, sometimes "everyone" does something, because it works.

Pick your ratio on what youre going to be doing, and how much you can live with, not, what's "different"

Pennywise2

Reaction score
Motive ring and pinions are made of a softer metal than FRPP.
Motive gears are manufactured by U.S. GEAR now.
I belive the problems that people experience with Motive gears
is because of bad install or due to the low quality softer metal
that they use.I would avoid putting Motive gears in your mustangs
at all costs because of all the problems that people have with them
after they are installed.
The only ring and pinion you guys should consider is FRPP.
FRPP or nothing!

Reaction score
Outlaw97GT said:
AaRoN said:
I have Motive 4.10's. No whine :coolsmiley:

BTW: Motive makes the FRPP gears now.

But they are designed different, FRPP have more of an arch.

I know of a few people with Motive gears, and none whine. Like said above its all in the installer.
not even anywhere close to the topic but i dont care...

i CANT concentrate on a thread with that av... :drool:

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
J.R. said:
Willis_98GT said:

So you're going to do something weird just because it's "different" being different is cliched, first of all. And secondly, sometimes "everyone" does something, because it works.

Pick your ratio on what youre going to be doing, and how much you can live with, not, what's "different"

well i didn't mean it like i was doing that just to do it...

i want gearing to be high. but i wanna still have good cruising rpms on the highway. i want the length of a 3.73 with the quickness of a 4.10. thus.. 3.90

LI98GT

Reaction score
What gears do you have in your stang today? To give you some of my reasoning for going with 3:90s, similiar to your thinking, was I wanted the gear upgrade to be "worth it", but not over the top. Didn't want to regret that the step up was either too little or too much. As far a highway goes, it went from cruising at just about under 2k rpms with the stock (optional) 3.27s to 2200-2300 rpms with the 3:90s. That is not bad, but with the current semi-blown out muffs I have now, it's loud to cruise at speed. Once I get a quieter exhaust setup, I will like the gears a lot better.

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
i have the 3.27s

i went for a ride in my friend's mach 1 that has 4.10s last night, and really liked the pull. but didn't like the fact that at sixty he was at 2k

3.90s are good for me and what i wanna do.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
With my 3.73's its revs almost to much on the highway, 65mph is about 2200rpms give or take. When I installed my gears the stock shims were not within spec. I believe the closest I could get on the backlash with the factory shims was about .15" way to loose IMO. 3.90's would be to much gear for me. I have a feeling though if I ever get my t-56 I will be installing some 4.30's.