302 coming out....408 going in

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by Stopsign32v, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Stopsign32v

Stopsign32v Active Member

:bunny3:

Well I got to thinking about it more and more...the 331 I was going to make isn't going to cut it. It would have about 400rwhp which would put the car at about [email protected] I'd say. With all the pullied 03 Cobras, C6 Vettes, Z06s, Vipers, etc out...That just wouldn't be good enough. I could add nitrous but then I'd be getting to the limits of the 68' block. So! I've decided I'm just going to build a 408W and sit it in the car. Here is my plan...

408cid
    AFR 225 heads w/ upgraded valve springs
    1.6 Comp Cam Pro-Magnums
    Jay Allen custom cam
    Edelbrock Victor Efi intake
    90mm Accufab TB
    AFM 4" powerpipe w/ 90mm MAF
    Custom headers probably
    3" O/R H pipe
    3" Flowmaster catback with dumps (good God thats going to be loud)
    3.55 gears

So what do you guys think it will put out? I think it will be a stout daily driver.

2. MeanGrn Gt

MeanGrn Gt Well-Known Member

i wish i had the $$ to drop in a 351w stroker. I already have the motor all tore apart ;D

3. 95Grandtouring5.0

95Grandtouring5.0 Well-Known Member

I keep joking that one day im going to ditch the 302 and throw in a small block chevy.

4. bigjohnson4.6gt

bigjohnson4.6gt Well-Known Member

i think thats going to be a sick set up when its all finished

5. 94venom

94venom New Member

I am pulling out my 306 with around 3500 miles as the wrist pin is f...ked and ditching the powerdyne for now and putting in a 420W... Later I may put on the powerdyne again.. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I think that should wake up my cobra.... lol.. It is wide awake with the setup I have now but not like the 420W

6. jbeez

jbeez New Member

you could do a dart iron eagle 331 to get around the whole block splitting thing, and you'd have a much easier time with fitment since its still a wittle 302

then you can pound the F out of it with a turbo or a twin turbo setup and make as much HP as you can figure out how to put to the ground

7. Paul

Paul Legend

Hmmm, I have a couple of comments/suggestions. I have a 422 ci Windsor in my car so I have some experience here.

AFR 225s are a good choice. Stick with it.
    Definitely a custom cam.
    I'd recommend either a ported Trick Flow R, or an Edelbrock Victor Jr/Super Victor carbureted intakeconverted to EFI over the one you chose.
    90mm Accufab is fine, although part-throttle drivability is a bit tricky to tune with a huge TB.
    The exhaust is going to cost you some coin. Accufab has some big-tube options you can look into. That's what I run with full custom 3" stuff - but it cost me a fortune. I personally hate dumps, but that's because I don't like loud cars in general.

If you have the means, I'd recommend a standalone over a chip, as it can be quite a PIA to get the T4M0 to do what you want it to do with such a huge motor. I had serious detonation problems with any more than 8-10 degrees TOTAL timing. Of course, that was a few years ago as well. I have an AEM now, and it's better - but if I did it over again I'd use a FAST XFI.

Oh, and if you're going to spend all that money - I'd just go all the way and buy a good block. If you use a 4.155" and 4.100" stroke you can get 445 cubic inches with a World or Dart block. This is what I will do next time around. Plus, you won't have to deal with stupid 2 peice rear main seals or retrofit hydraulic roller cams or really expensive lifters etc...

Oh, and I hope you have a ton of money saved up.

Paul.

8. jbeez

jbeez New Member

I second this, when the project is all done you're gonna be like, wtf just happened? -> :rockyou:

9. Hicks

Hicks Well-Known Member

Sounds sick!! keep us updated ^_^

10. scarface

scarface Guest

sounds like a wicked idea!