3v help!

chrisv_10

Reaction score
I know it's not sn95 related, but I'm doing a tune up on my cousins f150 with a 5.4l 3valve. the last 3 spark plugs on the passenger side bank were soaking wet when I pulled em out. she told me it was misfiring alot and the tips on the plugs were pretty much gone. my question is do these 3valve heads have coolant ports similar to a 2valve that they sit right next to the last intake port? I know the 2 valves had problem with coolant leading in the intake port. im also thinking her head gasket could be leaking. any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
chrisv_10

chrisv_10

Reaction score
truck has 120k miles

4umadatu.jpg

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
is it coolant, gas, or oil? is it burning anything? whats its MPG like?

FrankenStang

Reaction score
looks like a coolant soaked plug to me...and im pretty shur the 3v do have coolant also running through their upper mani's...

OP
OP
chrisv_10

chrisv_10

Reaction score
It smells like burnt coolant. I'm pretty sure mpgs were sucking. it threw misfire codes, O2 sensor codes, and bank 2 lean codes. She said sometimes it would die when put in reverse. Changing the spark plugs on this motor were a pain in the ass!!

OP
OP
chrisv_10

chrisv_10

Reaction score
I replaced the plugs and I'm working on the O2 sensors right now. after that I'm gonna test drive it and see how it runs.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
after u put all the new shit in take it for only a 10min drive and then pull those rear plugs again JUST TO MAKE SHUR everything is ok..if they are wet or instantly fouled..your gonna need to start digging a BIT.

OP
OP
chrisv_10

chrisv_10

Reaction score
yeah I know I'm gonna have to do that. it just sucks because those are the hardest ones.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
check the coolant. make sure it doesnt look like milkshake.....
:-/

my milkshake brings the cinderblocks to the yard.....

changing plugs and o2 sensors wont fix the fact that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber.

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
consider yourself extremely lucky that those plugs even came out. go buy a lottery ticket

OP
OP
chrisv_10

chrisv_10

Reaction score
consider yourself extremely lucky that those plugs even came out. go buy a lottery ticket
yeah they seemed pretty hard coming out. but I got em out. after I took all of them out I read how much of a nightmare they are to remove. lol

OP
OP
chrisv_10

chrisv_10

Reaction score
she also told me it would die in reverse. truck was also throwing a MAF code. I changed the plugs now it doesn't want to idle at all in drive also. plus.my damn 1/4 ratchet fell under the manifold. I hate this truck.

I cleaned the MAF but it sell doesn't want to stay in at idle

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
bad IAC? Whats it do when driving?

It sounds like a cracked intake manifold.... coolant everywhere, missing, bad idle, stalling. . .. . .

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
dont ever-tighten those plugs either. you'll yank those threads right out of the head.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Chris is full of the good information today....I would start with the coolant issue first. Check the coolant, check the oil. My guess would be that the intake is cracked as well. can cause all kinds of codes.

OP
OP
chrisv_10

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Ok, so I replace the plugs, engine still misfires and does not want to stay on at idle. I cleaned it, but still it runs like crap. Checked the oil and it's OK, its not milky. Coolant is fine also.

I'm not sure but I don't think this motor has a IAC because it's electronic throttle.

I hooked up my tuner to it and now it only throws a bad MAF code. Pretty sure the misfire codes will come up with more driving though.

I'm done for the day, celebrating my sisters bday, but tomorrow I'm taking the manifold off and checking it for cracks or a bad gasket. If it's a head gasket I don't think I wanna tackle that. If it was my own car yeah.

Before all that I'm checking the plugs first to see if they're wet again. I didn't put the new O2 sensors in yet. I wanted to fix the wet plug issue first.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Ok, so I replace the plugs, engine still misfires and does not want to stay on at idle. I cleaned it, but still it runs like crap. Checked the oil and it's OK, its not milky. Coolant is fine also.

I'm not sure but I don't think this motor has a IAC because it's electronic throttle.

I hooked up my tuner to it and now it only throws a bad MAF code. Pretty sure the misfire codes will come up with more driving though.

I'm done for the day, celebrating my sisters bday, but tomorrow I'm taking the manifold off and checking it for cracks or a bad gasket. If it's a head gasket I don't think I wanna tackle that. If it was my own car yeah.

Before all that I'm checking the plugs first to see if they're wet again. I didn't put the new O2 sensors in yet. I wanted to fix the wet plug issue first.

At this point, I would rule out a bad head gasket. I would say either cracked manifold. At this point I dont think it is a bad mass air, more like it is sucking in more air upstream from the mass air.

OP
OP
chrisv_10

chrisv_10

Reaction score
uqemuvet.jpg

intake off. it has intake plates similar to a b head 4v. they look pretty restrictive and they are dirty as hell.

amyhypu9.jpg

9a9aha4y.jpg

ports on the head are nasty too.

I haven't found any cracks on the intake manifolds, although the gaskets look a bit messed up, nothing too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online