4.10's How Much of a difference?

IEC Stang

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm goin to be gettin 4.10's pretty soon and i was just wondering how much of a difference it's going to be. I have the stock 2.73's right now and it's an auto. I ran my car yesturday in the 1/8th mile and it ran a 10 sec flat at 72.1mph. I was just wondering what do u guys think i'll be runnin after the gears? thanx guys :)

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
talk to aaron

i know i drove a mach 1 with 4.10s and it was sick out of the hole.. then again its a 4v but the gears were goin pretty fast and i loved it.

you'll lose mpg, but only like 2 to 3 mpg

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well, you're car will actually feel fast, and move when you push the gas. How much mileage you lose depnds on how you use the car really. I bet I can gain MPG swapping from 2:73's to 3:73's in my Fox, I drive all in the city, 45 mph tops. If I drove long highway trips, on flat roads, I would lose some.

You might be able to click off a low 9 now.

OP
OP
I

IEC Stang

Reaction score
Low 9's huh? I like the sound of that. Yeah and i know what you mean when u say that i'll actually move when i push on the gas, because my car feels like a slow dog right now. :)

Pennywise2

Reaction score
I had FRPP 4.10's in my 96 GT.I did feel a nice increase in
acceleration and my car seemed alittle faster.
The downfall of installing FRPP 4.10's is the higher rpm's.
My MPG went way south after I installed my gears and
I wish I would have went with FRPP 3.73's to get better MPG.
Get your gears according to your driving style.Do you
do alot of highway driving? Do you drive on the street more than
you do on the highway? Depends.
If you do alot of highway driving get FRPP 3.73's because your
MPG will suffer just like it did to me.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
your car will feel like a rocket. From comparing to other mods I have done, to me gears felt worth equivalent to a 40-50hp mod.

bobtsgt

Reaction score
do the 4.10s all the way if your staying NA or running a small shot. If you plan on boosting it later down the road then a 3.73 or even a 3.55 will be in your better interest. A 4.10 will really wake the car up and you should be pretty happy with it.

S

scarface

invest in sticky tires to make the most of the new gears...but you will be happy.

OP
OP
I

IEC Stang

Reaction score
I mostly do city driving. There's only like a five min. period on my way to work where i'm doing highway driving, but there are like 3 stop lights in that time span and that's not really anything, because the speed limit is 45 for a while then changes to 50 and besides i can go another way to work too if i wanted and it would totally cut out the highway driving altogether. That's the next thing i'm going to get is some good sticky tires too. I was thinkin nitto drag radials. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll let you all know how i like my 4.10's after i have them for a while. :p

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
going from 2.73s to 4.10s will feel like adding 50 hp...but a lot of it is the fact that you go through gears faster so you get kind of an illusion that your car is really fast.

You should definately be able to drop a solid .3-.5 off your 1/4 mile...if you can hook that is.

WarHorse

Reaction score
ive been told all of these things, this is one of the few bang for your buck mods, one of the best things you can do to your stang. it should make you very happy.

i hope to get my 3.73's in soon.