4.6 dohc or 5.4 sohc?

mellor_21

Reaction score
so i have a 97 gt and i cant decide if i should go with an 03 cobra motor or a 5.4 out of a lightning or somthin.. i'd probly end up twinnin whichever one i got.. any ideas guys?

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
mellor_21 said:
so i have a 97 gt and i cant decide if i should go with an 03 cobra motor or a 5.4 out of a lightning or somthin.. i'd probly end up twinnin whichever one i got.. any ideas guys?

A Cobra motor is going to cost you about 8-10k depending on what you get. A 5.4 out of an "L" is going to be more. You can go as fast as your wallet is deep.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
mellor_21 said:

A Cobra motor is going to cost you about 8-10k depending on what you get. A 5.4 out of an "L" is going to be more. You can go as fast as your wallet is deep.

Matt speaks da troof :crazy2:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lightning motors look retarded in mustangs due to the enormous height of them, you would have to have like a 10 inch cowl hood or cut out a hole in your hood. Just go with the cobra motor.

OP
OP
M

mellor_21

Reaction score
if a cobra motor is realy that much then why don't i just buy a cobra for that much? lol

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
mellor_21 said:
if a cobra motor is realy that much then why don't i just buy a cobra for that much? lol

This is where I bought my Mach1 parts car from. I paid 6k. He has a 03 Cobra listed as a "parts only" car for 11k. Thats why I bought a Mach parts car instead of a Cobra. In my opinion you are better off buying a parts car. Then you can sell off the parts you don't use to make up some of your investment.

Check out the build section,wldtang is putting a 03 Cobra engine in his 94GT. You can get allot of info from that thread or from him. It is allot of work, allot more than you might think.

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=23093.0

Here is my build.

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.0

http://www.billfoxsautosales.com/RebuildablesTable.html

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
mellor_21 said:

If you're "twining" whatever you get, you must have deep pockets anyway.

we have da best mods, evah!

Blind

Reaction score
I spent about a month looking for a SOHC 5.4, but all the junkyards around me wanted $1500 for one with high miles, if they even had one.

I ended up buying a `94 mark8 with 79k miles for $800 off ebay, took it apart, sold everything I could, junked the shell when I was done with it, ended up making almost $2k parting the car out.

spent $450 on the cobra specific parts (intake manifold, throttle cables, exhaust manifolds, mainly).

so basically I have a teksid block DOHC with 4.6 SOHC (mustang GT) internals, it's a 6 bolt flywheel, I reused the one from my stock motor.

OP
OP
M

mellor_21

Reaction score
sorry about double postin im sure its against a rule somewhere.. but mostly i was wonderin which has most power potential out of the two, the one with more cubes or the one with more flow? at the prices 96-98 cobras are going for im just gonna buy one of them anyway this was more of a what if question you know?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
mellor_21 said:
sorry about double postin im sure its against a rule somewhere.. but mostly i was wonderin which has most power potential out of the two, the one with more cubes or the one with more flow? at the prices 96-98 cobras are going for im just gonna buy one of them anyway this was more of a what if question you know?

More cubes ALWAYS has more potential.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online