bel-mor

Reaction score
Finally got the kmember squared away. I took it for a cruise today for a few hrs to make sure it drives ok after my front end nightmare
Lol any way at about 3k rpms it has a lifter noise it's not really a tick the only way I can accurately describe it is, it sounds like a pushrod motor with a solid lifter cam
Is this normal? It has good oil pressure and the oil has no glitter in it BTW.
Thanks in advance

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
4?

Could be the chain tensioners going out. Have you tried to pin point the area of the noise while revving the engine? Front of the engine, mid, rear, etc?

NEURON

Reaction score
An automotive stethoscope can help with pin pointing the sound.

OP
OP
B

bel-mor

Reaction score
It's definitely not a tick. More of a purr. I will post a video tommorow. The more I think about it the more it sounds like a timing chain deal. This is my first mod motor so perhaps I'm over thinking a noise that is normal? Lol

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It's definitely not a tick. More of a purr. I will post a video tommorow. The more I think about it the more it sounds like a timing chain deal. This is my first mod motor so perhaps I'm over thinking a noise that is normal? Lol

They do have a 'sewing machine' type of noise at idle.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Even with a stethoscope, it can still be difficult to pinpoint these sounds. My car was doing something similar, and it sounded like timing chain issues. The stethoscope made it sound like it was on the driver's side, up by the head. I could have swore it was a tensioner or guide failing... come to find out the whoever had the cover off before me didn't tighten the harmonic balancer pulley bolt down to specs. As a result, the sprocket was loose, the keyway was reamed, out and the chain was sloppy.

NEURON

Reaction score
Even with a stethoscope, it can still be difficult to pinpoint these sounds. My car was doing something similar, and it sounded like timing chain issues. The stethoscope made it sound like it was on the driver's side, up by the head. I could have swore it was a tensioner or guide failing... come to find out the whoever had the cover off before me didn't tighten the harmonic balancer pulley bolt down to specs. As a result, the sprocket was loose, the keyway was reamed, out and the chain was sloppy.

True but it is like any other tool, sometimes a help and sometimes not. The main problem I have found with using it is I am not familiar enough with the different sounds an engine can make when not right. My first introduction to one was watching a Master Mechanic troubleshoot employing it and the amazingly accurate deductions he came up with using it, me not so much but it has still been a savior though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online