4v ticking noise, help please!!

96cobraaa

Reaction score
Alright folks i need your help please! i own a 96 svt cobra. when i first bought it i could hear a loud ticking noise from the drivers side head up by the valve cover, but as soon as it warms up it goes away, ive put about 5500miles on it and its not getting any worst...??.. it doesnt make any noise at an idle or under a load but if u rev it up and hold the revs you can hear it... any suggestions would help alot guys!! i was thinkin/hopin maybe bad spark plug(s).. manifold leak? drained the oil a couple times since i bought the car and no metal shavings or signs of carnage in the used oil either!! completly stumped here guys, any help would be a be help...---yours truly '96 cobraaa..THANKS!!!

94-427

Reaction score
the first place to look is exhaust manifolds check for missing or loss bolts
some times timing chain tensioners will get lose, one at top of head, and couse an oil leak starving lifters for oil

danielson631

Reaction score
ahh the famous yet mysterious 4v head tick. why the heck is this so common?

my old motor had a bad tick but wasnt so much like yours, i was told it was most likely a bad lash adjuster. i was getting worried bc it started to get worse, but then the motor crapped out anyways.

any way you could post a vid, so everyone can actually hear what it sounds like?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
they did a recall on 03 cobras for the bad head tick... i wonder if this is simular... ...

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I've been noticing the same from my car.

It's a definitive sound coming from the timing cover area on the drivers side... It is more pertinent if you punt the throttle and wait for the RPMS to drop down...

I'm guessing its a tensioner guide related failure, which is actually common on the mod motor...

I'm gonna go ahead and not worry about it so much... Just keep the oil topped off and enjoy!!!!

shaunk

Reaction score
Most likely an exhaust leak and if not probably valve guides.

massacre

Reaction score
greenscobie86 said:
I've been noticing the same from my car.

It's a definitive sound coming from the timing cover area on the drivers side... It is more pertinent if you punt the throttle and wait for the RPMS to drop down...

I'm guessing its a tensioner guide related failure, which is actually common on the mod motor...

I'm gonna go ahead and not worry about it so much... Just keep the oil topped off and enjoy!!!!

^^^ this guy is the closest.
The secondary timing chain tensioner is usually the culprit.
The key is that he says that it happens when cold but then goes away when warm.
The Markviiis are notorious for this, in fact there is a TSB on it.
The fix is to upgrade to the newer-style secondary chain tensioner, apparently the new one has an anti-drainback feature of some kind.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Interesting.

I'm guessing there is no need to retime the motor or take the chain off to do this TSB since its jsut the chain tensioner? I honestly thought the problem was with the "plastic" guide surface chipping off and not the tensioner... Very good to know!!! :)

massacre

Reaction score
greenscobie86 said:
Interesting.

I'm guessing there is no need to retime the motor or take the chain off to do this TSB since its jsut the chain tensioner? I honestly thought the problem was with the "plastic" guide surface chipping off and not the tensioner... Very good to know!!! :)

IMHO if it were me I'd still use the cam-lock tool or at least the D-hole tool to keep the cams in place, compress the old secondary tensioner, keep it compressed with wire or a small drill bit, remove the two bolts, replace with the new-style tensioner, and return the slack and then remove the cam-lock tool.

FYI: If you think it's chipping plastic off of the tensioner...
you know your car better than me.
Just because there's a TSB doesn't mean your tensioner guides aren't worn and in need of inspection.
If it's a Teksid block, the Teksid "flippers" or non-stationary guides have a better bushing design IMHO than the pin on the WAP blocks.
I replaced all of my Teksid chain guides, unfortunately I couldn't find just the delrin guides, I had to buy all 4 arms, two "flippers" and two stationary.
I have the part #s if interested.

massacre

Reaction score
FIXED GUIDES:
LB = F3LY-6K297 - A
RB = 1R3Z-6M256-AA

"FLIPPERS"
LB = 1R3Z-6L253-AA
RB = 1R3Z-6L253-BA

^^^ this is just for the primary tensioners, I'll have to check on the secondaries.

shaunk

Reaction score
There is a ton of tsb's on these engines it does not mean it's your issue. It could be a ton of things. Get a set of mechanic's "ears" and go over it and locate the noise. Listen from the bottom,top,sides,front cover. Honestly the guide noise changes from hot to cold,so does piston slap, all are or were tsb's at one point. DO the work you need to to get a proper diagnosis. Good luck and I hope you track it down.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
another way to test to see if its a cylinder noise is whats called an engine balance test. in this the noie will deflect when fuel is removed from that cylinder. This prob not an internal engine noise but more then likely what Massacre said and is from the timing chains and accessories.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Grreat tips guys. You certainly know your modulars...

I've owner quite a few mod motors and still have 3 in the family. I've heard piston slap/failing lash adjuster/and all that jazz... So hopefully I have a good idea of these sounds/noises. :)

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
piston slap will change with an engine balance test so thats why i suggested it to rule out piston noise.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
^
Oh yea I understand that part... I was just saying... Besides from what I've read/seen the 5.4 is more prone to piston slap anyways due to the short piston skirt design unlike the 4.6 mod...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online