5.0 swap in a 2000 v6

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Has anyone does this? I know it should be relatively simple. The tranny is the same as a 94/95 gt. Would i need a new wire harness? I know i would need a 95 computer but those were obd1 so would there be a problem with that? Any help would be appreciated.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
Tranny is weaker. Prolly wont hold up for too long. Ur gonna need 95 gt harness and k member with everything else u could possibly think of beside suspension

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just look at picking up a nice 94/95 GT rather than trying to swap it in to a new edge. Those cars can be found for dirt cheap anymore.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's a few people that have.
To my knowledge its a pain, and not really worth it IMO. Not sure why'd you want to anyways.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
The thing is that the motor id be buying is a fully built 5.0 with only 3k miles on it. Isnt a t-5 trans a t-5 there isnt a difference between them? Its a 5 spd so id just need an upgraded clutch. Ive basically done everything i want to the car and this opportunity presented itself so im just asking. Buying a 94 95 is out of the question im not a fan of the body style i love new edges so thats why i would swap the 5.0 in. Ive been told its harder to swap a 4.6 into it and more expensive because then i would have to change transmissions.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To my knowledge the v6 T5 are weaker and suppose to have different gearing? I'm not 100% because I put a gt t5 in mine at the beginning.

I can't imagine the 5.0 swap being cheaper to swap because of everything it'll need to work. For a proper swap anyways.

Just buy a GT newedge.

410sn95

Reaction score
A lot of Debbie downers here. Half the stuff we do with our cars is "not worth it".

GL OP, I think a pushrod setup in a new edge is sweet. Look into new edge s351's. Some of my favorite mustangs.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The v6 trans will bolt up but is weaker than the Gt trans. You'll need a v6 pilot bearing too. You'll be fine just driving it but don't thrash it. And already stated, the ratio is different.
The guage cluster is different too.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
A lot of Debbie downers here. Half the stuff we do with our cars is "not worth it".

GL OP, I think a pushrod setup in a new edge is sweet. Look into new edge s351's. Some of my favorite mustangs.

My car was a 96 v6. My dad converted it into a 95 5.0. This was years ago, although at the time it was a good idea, I wished he'd gone 351. Looking at at now, its defiantly not worth it. Just build a 351.

Rallim

Reaction score
Fox T5's are NOT the same. Different bell housings on them and input shaft. Just be sure to check on that

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just do an easy 4.2 build and slap a blower on it....meh.

However, if you're dead set on a 5.0.
You need the k member, computer, I'd either rebuild your t5 with better internals or just find a gt one if you can.
Gauge cluster.

Still think you'd come out faster with less $$ into it with the 6 though if you know what you're doing.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Looks like it's gonna be a lotta work, but you gotta set your goals and have an open wallet! My buddies all told me I could never do a 4x4 swap on my 2wd truck and I had to make it happen at that point. Just have to do your homework and have another vehicle to drive in the mean time. A build like this would throw you curveballs, but it's not impossible. Good luck man

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
Just get a painless harness, a9l computer, and use everything from a fox plus k-member, but for these type of swaps, a carb setup would really sit nice in there. Plus I'd rather have the 5.0 in there instead of the spark plug spitting/bearing spinning 4.6's.

I'm not sure what t5 they use but you should use the bellhousing and transmission for a v8 car because depending on the power/use of the car, your gonna break it anyway.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well i was looking at doing it because i thought it would be cheaper than to just buy a gt new edge but apparently its not so im just going to say screw it because i dont have an open wallet to quote a response. Ill just save up for a while and do something else i guess. Thanks for the replies

Walking Tall

Reaction score
Probably a smart move. I got my 95 for $3500. Probably only put in another $2k to get it where it was.

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
It seems we're pass the point of decision making, but you could always of still bolted it up to the weak t5 transmission and just of not ever ride it hard, ever. Till you could afford a proper transmission.
Then you have the lines of a new edge and the engine of an old school mustang.
win-win.

Then again, I don't love the new edge bodys like most people do here...lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online