#71 Dyno, results are in!!

RichV

Reaction score
Went this morning to get the dyno done. Had the Fox Computer with the PIH harness installed. Mods:

302, new short block OEM
GT40p heads, no porting
e303
SN Cobra intake, no porting
Stock t/b
BBK headers
UPR x pipe
Flowmaster cutback with axle exit
ebay u/d pulleys
FPR set at 40
3:73 and stock T5
14* timing

a9p computer, made 239hp and 305tq, but for some reason it was breaking up at about 4500 rpm. Not sure why. Didn't have time to mess with it.

Put the tm40 back in, took a couple of minutes. Did about 4 pulls, HP was from 269 to 271, TQ from 298 to 303.

This was too much, I can only have max power of 267. So I pulled the timing back to 10*, and my power was 266 to 267, torque fell in at just a touch under 300.

i don't believe that I gained so much power with just a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. My power went up almost 20hp from last year.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
hellya.
I'm in the process of doing a GT40p heads and ported exploder intake. and I'm pretty sure I'm going with an e cam too.
What fuel pmp are you running and fuel pressure?

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
hellya.
I'm in the process of doing a GT40p heads and ported exploder intake. and I'm pretty sure I'm going with an e cam too.
What fuel pmp are you running and fuel pressure?

Stock pump and injectors, FP is right at 40psi with the vac line disconnected. My altitude allows me to get away with a smaller fuel system to an extent. But 270ish is still on the edge of the stock stuff. You figure you're just over 300 at the flywheel. Forgot, I do have the Crane 1.7 RR as well. When you do the Ps, make sure you put in some good valve spings. Stock Exploder springs will float at the higher RPM. I have the TFS springs in my heads.

Are you allowed to do more to your motor in your class? Theres still a lot of potential in those numbers!

Well, yes and no. I can work with different combinations, but e303 is the only aftermarket cam allowed, pulleys are not restricted, heads must be E7 or GT40/p not ported, intake can be stock or Cobra (explorer GT40 is allowed), exhaust is unrestricted, rear ratio is unrestricted, tranny has some restrictions but any trans that came in a eligeable chassis can be used (79-04 Mustang only), rockers can be stock or OEM Cobra, t/b stock or Cobra, motor comression must be OEM or close to it (rebuilds OK).

We are limited to 260/310, but can be absolute max at 267 and 317. Either HP or Tq above 260/310 limit will yield a 10lb weight penalty. So my minimum weight is 3150 with driver, now I must be 3210 (266 HP = 60lb penalty). So if I come off the track, I am put on the scales and I must make 3210.

I calculated that I burn roughly 1lb of fuel pe minute of racing. So after a 30 minute race, I know I'll be 30lbs lighter.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
He competes in the National Auto Sport Association's (NASA) Camaro-Mustang Challenge!! Which happens to be on my bucket list between own a Cobra R and own a pre-ban, full auto M16a1

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Good numbers before you dialed back the timing.

I wish I could play around with HCI :( damn 32v.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Well, yes and no. I can work with different combinations, but e303 is the only aftermarket cam allowed, pulleys are not restricted, heads must be E7 or GT40/p not ported, intake can be stock or Cobra (explorer GT40 is allowed), exhaust is unrestricted, rear ratio is unrestricted, tranny has some restrictions but any trans that came in a eligeable chassis can be used (79-04 Mustang only), rockers can be stock or OEM Cobra, t/b stock or Cobra, motor comression must be OEM or close to it (rebuilds OK).

We are limited to 260/310, but can be absolute max at 267 and 317. Either HP or Tq above 260/310 limit will yield a 10lb weight penalty. So my minimum weight is 3150 with driver, now I must be 3210 (266 HP = 60lb penalty). So if I come off the track, I am put on the scales and I must make 3210.

I calculated that I burn roughly 1lb of fuel pe minute of racing. So after a 30 minute race, I know I'll be 30lbs lighter.

Hmm very interesting. So you're dancing around the limit basically. In that case then those are very good numbers! lol. Are you allowed to use weight ballasts? If there was any further suggestion I'd have it'd be to replace all the glass with Lexan and then put lead ballasts on the underside of your car towards the rear. This will take a lot of weight from the windows which will lower the center of mass considerably, and the ballasts will help that further while maintaining your weight limit.

It was honestly one of the biggest improvements I made as far as weight reduction goes on my car. Because at 1 G, all that glass goes from being 150-200lbs to being 300-400 lbs, and above the center of mass. So the moment about that is affected even further.

Something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hre-b832?seid=google&gclid=CNSkk4jQtbYCFUTZQgodsncAWw

You can usually find it cheaper at local metal yards and then drill your own mounting holes. Just keep them symmetrical and low.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
nice man!!! what dyno did you hit?

MAC in Parker.

Interesting! What class are you racing in?

As white said, CMC with NASA. www.nasaponycars.com, it's the cheap V8 class. Mods are limited to keep costs down, although I don't think the word 'racing' and 'keep costs down' can be used in the same sentence! :)

Hmm very interesting. So you're dancing around the limit basically. In that case then those are very good numbers! lol. Are you allowed to use weight ballasts? If there was any further suggestion I'd have it'd be to replace all the glass with Lexan and then put lead ballasts on the underside of your car towards the rear. This will take a lot of weight from the windows which will lower the center of mass considerably, and the ballasts will help that further while maintaining your weight limit.

It was honestly one of the biggest improvements I made as far as weight reduction goes on my car. Because at 1 G, all that glass goes from being 150-200lbs to being 300-400 lbs, and above the center of mass. So the moment about that is affected even further.

Something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hre-b832?seid=google&gclid=CNSkk4jQtbYCFUTZQgodsncAWw

You can usually find it cheaper at local metal yards and then drill your own mounting holes. Just keep them symmetrical and low.

I've looked into this some extent. We are not allowed to do lexan, and are somewhat limited on ballasts. I know the rule off the top is that we cannot install ballast behind the cage main hoop. But you can get tricky with fire systems and suit coolers that are technicaly ballasts as well.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
I've looked into this some extent. We are not allowed to do lexan, and are somewhat limited on ballasts. I know the rule off the top is that we cannot install ballast behind the cage main hoop. But you can get tricky with fire systems and suit coolers that are technicaly ballasts as well.

Aw that sucks you can't use lexan. I wouldn't put ballasts on then. Any unnecessary weight doesn't usually help in any case.

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
Hey are you using shorty headers? I just got a great deal on P heads and am trying to find headers that won't fry my plug wires. Wondering if you're using 94-95 P specific or if the regular BBK shortys will work.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hey are you using shorty headers? I just got a great deal on P heads and am trying to find headers that won't fry my plug wires. Wondering if you're using 94-95 P specific or if the regular BBK shortys will work.

I have heard the newer BBK shorties will work but cant confirm that first hand. But I will definately find that out within the next month or 2 since I'm doing a P swap too and I'm currently running BBK shorties on my stock 5.0.
Otherwise your limited to MAC and FRPP P headers.

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
Yeah P headers are so expensive though. And I'm a little wary bout fitting fox headers on an sn95. The BBKs seem to be the popular choice, though...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just from eyeballing, it looks like the BBK's will work but my eyesite isn't what it used to be. lol

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I have fox BBKs. I don't run emissions stuff, but they work fine. #7 cyl is a pita, but doable. All others are good. I have #7 wrapped very well at the plug, but my car lives at 5,000 rpm every drive. I do run 90* boots, and all is well. Have been running it almost a year like this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online