95 cobra upper intake bolt size NEEDED!

Maniak87

Reaction score
when i was torquing the upper intake on the 94 after swaping out injectors, one of the longer bolts snapped. got real lucky and was able to remove it whole.

i found that there is a 3/8" plenum spacer. previous owner must have forgot to mention it. the longer bolts that he used looked real cheap and should have replaced them anyway. i need to know what size bolts to get. i dont trust that the ones i removed are correct. there were some washers which leads me to believe he was using it like a shim.

if anyone could measure the normal bolts for the 94-95 cobra upper intake that would be great! then i could just add 3/8" onto that.

ryclef331

Reaction score
A Cobra's upper intake bolts are as follows!

2@ 5/16 x 18 x 1.62"
2@ 5/16 x 18 x 6.07"
2@ 5/16 x 18 x 6.85"

the bold lettering is the Quantity of bolts AND (the important part) THREAD PITCH!

You can use threaded rod from Home Depot and the appropriate sized nuts to make your own studs.

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
A Cobra's upper intake bolts are as follows!

2@ 5/16 x 18 x 1.62"
2@ 5/16 x 18 x 6.07"
2@ 5/16 x 18 x 6.85"

the bold lettering is the Quantity of bolts AND (the important part) THREAD PITCH!

You can use threaded rod from Home Depot and the appropriate sized nuts to make your own studs.

thanks man!!

i am lookin for grade 8. u said bold says thread pitch but none showed in bold?

i dont like the threaded rod idea. it would work, but i would hate the way it looks.

ryclef331

Reaction score
5/16" x 18 is the thread pitch for the intake bolts. Sorry I copied it from the Fox Body swap thread.

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
5/16" x 18 is the thread pitch for the intake bolts. Sorry I copied it from the Fox Body swap thread.

so the size from the ones u showed from before are the same but just the thread pitch is 5/16"x18?

thanks, just want to make sure

Downshift

Reaction score
18 is the thread pitch
5/16 is the size
and the last numbers on all those are the lengths

If you go to a hardware store like I did then most likely wont have the long one you can just make a stud out of threaded length with a nut and washer and just cut it to the right length.

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
18 is the thread pitch
5/16 is the size
and the last numbers on all those are the lengths

If you go to a hardware store like I did then most likely wont have the long one you can just make a stud out of threaded length with a nut and washer and just cut it to the right length.

is there a place i can go to get the right size bolts without using the threaded rod?

ryclef331

Reaction score
Yeah, the dealership.

The threaded rod works like a champ. You're not sealing up Hoover Dam here....its two MACHINED FLAT SURFACES witha GASKET in between. You don't have to crank the begeezuz out of them. If you don't like the look of running studs, I understand that.

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Yeah, the dealership.

The threaded rod works like a champ. You're not sealing up Hoover Dam here....its two MACHINED FLAT SURFACES witha GASKET in between. You don't have to crank the begeezuz out of them. If you don't like the look of running studs, I understand that.

will the dealer have longer ones? remember, ive got the 3/8" plenum spacer. need it cuz i have injector adapters on there.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Forgot about that part. You can get the bolt kit from any manufacturer of that sized spacer. Check summit. I had to buy a bolt kit for my old performer intake setup with a spacer...before I discovered how cheap threaded rod was....(hint hint)

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Forgot about that part. You can get the bolt kit from any manufacturer of that sized spacer. Check summit. I had to buy a bolt kit for my old performer intake setup with a spacer...before I discovered how cheap threaded rod was....(hint hint)

yeah, it would cost me 30$ to get the TFS harwear kit but it comes with gaskets which i wouldnt need.

how do you install the threaded rod. i am a bit confussed. i know you put a nut on it but i cant see how to install it. i'm also not too happy with how it would look but if i have to i will do it.

do you have any pics of it on your car ryclef?

Downshift

Reaction score
Its just like a really long bolt with no head on either end or a big stud. So one end goes in like a regular bolt or like a stud would and then the nut and washer pull the intake down when you put those on top and thread it onto the rod. I did the two longest ones like that. I think it was like $3 or something for a foot of 5/16x18 threaded rod.

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Its just like a really long bolt with no head on either end or a big stud. So one end goes in like a regular bolt or like a stud would and then the nut and washer pull the intake down when you put those on top and thread it onto the rod. I did the two longest ones like that. I think it was like $3 or something for a foot of 5/16x18 threaded rod.

yeah, i know what the threaded rods look like. i just want to see what they look like in use.

do u have a pic?

Downshift

Reaction score
No sorry. Are you wanting to see what it looks like all finished?

ryclef331

Reaction score
Maniak87 said:
5.0wned said:

yeah, i know what the threaded rods look like. i just want to see what they look like in use.

do u have a pic?

You have to cut the rod with either a hacksaw or a cut off wheel of some sort...SO you're cutting the rod to length. Be gentle so you don't fuck the threads up...Now, being that as you are cutting this rod to the length YOU want, how it looks depends on YOU. Mine, looks like any thing with a stud and a nut on it. The studs are pretty close to flush with the nut when installed.

OP
OP
M

Maniak87

Reaction score
cool. thanks alot guys!!!

if i cant find the legnth i want i will go with the rod!

i'll let you guys know how it goes along with the rest of my s/c instalation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online