96 cobra fuel tank

Pedrothecobra

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this tube is in the bottom of my tank.

Attachments

• 6B06E51F-B5A8-4A71-8C87-5EB84B797DF6.jpeg
    6B06E51F-B5A8-4A71-8C87-5EB84B797DF6.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 17

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is it loose and rattling around or mounted? It almost looks like it might keep the sock off the bottom of the tank if its mounted.

OP
OP
P

Pedrothecobra

Reaction score
is it loose and rattling around or mounted? It almost looks like it might keep the sock off the bottom of the tank if its mounted.
its mounted. i believe its to keep the tray the pump is in filled so it doesnt starve the pump. im just trying to verify before i put this all back together

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think its just part of the baffle system to keep fuel around the sock as well as to keep it off the bottom. There is a pretty good amount of debris in the baffle there I would probably drain the tank to get rid of it.

OP
OP
P

Pedrothecobra

Reaction score
I think its just part of the baffle system to keep fuel around the sock as well as to keep it off the bottom. There is a pretty good amount of debris in the baffle there I would probably drain the tank to get rid of it.
i did that last night

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure I have seen so much solid debris in a tank before, some of that had to have got up in the filter and been slowing things down. I was told one time that if you want to keep crap like that out of the tank NEVER EVER fill up at a gas station while the tanker truck is there filling it. When they fill the tanks they stir up all the crap that ends up at the bottom and then the pumps suck it up.

OP
OP
P

Pedrothecobra

Reaction score
I am not sure I have seen so much solid debris in a tank before, some of that had to have got up in the filter and been slowing things down. I was told one time that if you want to keep crap like that out of the tank NEVER EVER fill up at a gas station while the tanker truck is there filling it. When they fill the tanks they stir up all the crap that ends up at the bottom and then the pumps suck it up.
yea this car has had some hands in it unfortunately. i have a new filter ill be throwing in as well once i put the pump in

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
ttocs
Yes! You are correct. I just keep going if I see a tanker unloading fuel at a station. Also, filters are designed to be replaced.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Back in the 60's/70's,this may have been true, but today fuel is filtered at the refinery as it goes into the truck, again when it flows out of the truck into the storage tank, and *again* as it's pumped out into our cars. With all that filtration, the risk of any foreign matter reaching our fuel tank today is minimal.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Back in the 60's/70's,this may have been true, but today fuel is filtered at the refinery as it goes into the truck, again when it flows out of the truck into the storage tank, and *again* as it's pumped out into our cars. With all that filtration, the risk of any foreign matter reaching our fuel tank today is minimal.
lol I will argue that the pic shows differently. If that was the case then why do we even have filters on our cars? Shit happens, old tankers, old tanks, old lines the world is just not perfect

tvsn95

Reaction score
that tube is the fuel entry to the "slosh tank" that the pump sits in . all the fuel is allowed to flow into the slosh tank ( from the main tank) and is then pumped to the engine then the return is sent back to the same point in to the top of the tank. this system works well for lower perf use but the small opening is a problem for big pumps,, As well as the being a restriction as the tube is 1/2"
It is bent in a curve with the short riser too prevent draining in a turn when level is low.
Ford switched to moving the pumps to the center, Where the gauge sender is , later years use a more standard fuel pickup unit (Cobra).

OP
OP
P

Pedrothecobra

Reaction score
lol I will argue that the pic shows differently. If that was the case then why do we even have filters on our cars? Shit happens, old tankers, old tanks, old lines the world is just not perfect
So I’m pretty sure the guy who out the pump in just didn’t give a fuck. I found a lot of dirt on the filler neck and the areas around the pump when I dropped the tank. I cleaned all of that before reinstalling the new pho and tank

Monday

Reaction score
Pump Sock goes there.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4

tinnocker

Reaction score
rickVert said:

Back in those days American gas had a inline filter at the pump handle. They bragged about the "Bright Red Final Filter'' in their tv commercials. It was about 2.5" in diameter by about 15" long. My dad had an American station and had to change those filters periodically. It was on both their gasoline pumps, regular and white gas (ethyl as they called it). The white gas was clear like water, not the color of our gas today and was higher octane The regular looked like the gas of today. I worked there for about 3 years in the early 60's. Regular gas was 32.9 cents a gallon and white was 36.9 cents a gallon the same price for the three years that I worked. Now the price changes all the time. Never heard the term premium back in those days, omly ethyl.

KVacek

Reaction score
rickVert said:

Back in those days American gas had a inline filter at the pump handle. They bragged about the "Bright Red Final Filter'' in their tv commercials. It was about 2.5" in diameter by about 15" long. My dad had an American station and had to change those filters periodically. It was on both their gasoline pumps, regular and white gas (ethyl as they called it). The white gas was clear like water, not the color of our gas today and was higher octane The regular looked like the gas of today. I worked there for about 3 years in the early 60's. Regular gas was 32.9 cents a gallon and white was 36.9 cents a gallon the same price for the three years that I worked. Now the price changes all the time. Never heard the term premium back in those days, omly ethyl.
It was called ethyl because the antiknock additive was tetraethyl lead, most prominently manufactured by Ethyl Corporation https://www.ethyl.com/

NEURON

Reaction score
Carburetors were more forgiving of a little contamination than fuel injection, fuel filter nowadays is just a little insurance. Back in the day it was not a big deal to not run a filter temporarily, along with straight water lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online