97 Cobra ?s

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If everything goes my way, I'll be entering the 4V game with a Cobra soon. I've always heard they love boost and need at least 4.10 gears to be happy. Don't they have charge motion plates like the 3v cars? I did a quick search for engine specs and I see they have forged cranks and teksid blocks. What is the "sane limit" for hp on the stock bottom end? Also, would the 99/01 cobra heads/intake bolt right on w/o much drama? I don't have time to read thru old posts to search for these answers, so any info in appreciated!!

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Gearing depends on what your going to do with your car. DD/race it? 4.30s.. road race. ide say 3.90s. but 4.10s will be great either way.

Yes all have forged crank. Only some are teskids, i belive its the 98s that have the other block? i cannot remember the exacts for that for the life of me. someone will.

sane limit? 400-450 or so. and yes C heads will bolt up pretty easily.. but B heads are good, specially if you plan on boosting.. If anything get them Ported.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I plan to use it primarily as my dd with some occasional road race and drag strip duty. I have to get my hands on it first though!!

switch96

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all Cobra's were teksid until 2001, and even then there were a few (the rest were WAP). My car is fairly stock still, and i'm looking at 450+ hp at the crank with a Kenne Bell and no fuel additive. Easy 500 with Torco and smaller pulley.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
first off, do u plan on staying n/a or going with a supercharger/turbo. if u are staying NA i would say 4.1s since that is what i have and felt like they were a great gear. but since its been supercharged the 4.1s are just way too much. im actually going to do a 3.55 gear. i think 96 - some 01 cobras had a teskid block, mid 98 they switched from return to returnless fuel systems too, all cobras have the forged 8 bolt crank. the limit on the stock bottom is around 450-475. i personally would only do the c swap if i was staying NA since they make way better power than b heads do NA. but the swap should be drama free as long as u have all the right parts for it :)

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey man, sorry for the lack of information on my part.

96-01 have teksid blocks, forged cranks and hypereutectic pistons. gearing i would go 4.10s NA like everyone else says or somewhere around 3.55 for a boosted application. 4.10s will be high for a boosted car. also 450 is probably the limit on the rods/pistons in these motors. the block and crank will handle twice that all day long. I would just keep the B heads in the car and throw some boost at it. the b heads flow good. the motion plates in the 97 cobras are IMRC plates. (Intake Manifold Runner Control), which blocks off 1 set of the intake valves until 3250 RPMs, then all intake valves are opened. I deleted my IMRC in my engine build as I have a blower going on the car.

this car will be a great DD man and a great platform to start on. you will also have freshly rebuilt heads (new valve guides/seals), ARP main studs and head studs, main bearings and rod bearings, etc...

cobra97

Reaction score
I have a 97 cobra and love it. Kinda want an S-197 body style but dont want to drop the $$

The 96-98 cobras are good for about 450hp and around 10psi max boost on stock bottom end.

C heads are somewhat better, but not worth the cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online