A/C pump question

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by dirtyred11, Mar 2, 2014.

1. dirtyred11

dirtyred11 Active Member

Ok guys, so how do you know when your a/c pump is going out? I noticed that when mine is on that it spins ( and when I say spins im talking about the triangle looking wheel ) and then it stops and my engine constantly surges. Thanks in advance for all the help...

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Normally that means an a/c charge "topping off" so to speak ,assuming nothing is mechanically wrong with the pump.

Go to the store and look for a recharge can of R134. The can should have an adapter connector attached and recharge your system.

3. dirtyred11

dirtyred11 Active Member

OK I know how to recharge it I have done that before, but that was the golden question is something was mechanically wrong with the pump because it acts this way when put on defrost to???? And I will try recharging it...

4. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

The a/c has a pressure switch or you can call it a sensor, but if the system is low of gas the a/c will toggle on and off. Also not real 100% sure if the a/c pump is designed to toggle on/off in defrost. Someone should chime in about it

5. dirtyred11

dirtyred11 Active Member

I watched a couple videos on youtube today and found a video where a guy was having the same on and off situation I was having and he solved the problem with adding Freon so I'm going to add some and hopefully that takes care of all of my problems.